PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do Our 2019 Needs Depend On The Next Few Games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
If we lose a game, will the #1 need be to replace whoever we think contributed to that loss?
=====
I submit that (absent injuries), we will NOT get a great amount of new information with regard to 2019 needs.

In addition to re-signing or tendering Brown, McCourty, Gordon and Jones, we need new blood at LB (in addition to Bentley) and upgrades at our weakest position (DT). We also need a top DE (hopefully the re-signing of Flowers).

If we lose a game, will the #1 need be to replace whoever we think contributed to that loss?
=====
I submit that (absent injuries), we will NOT get a great amount of new information with regard to 2019 needs.

In addition to re-signing or tendering Brown, McCourty, Gordon and Jones, we need new blood at LB (in addition to Bentley) and upgrades at our weakest position (DT). We also need a top DE (hopefully the re-signing of Flowers).
on the next 6

=====

If I were a Colts fan I would be complaining how if we finish out with a 6 game win streak starting now it will hurt our draft position.

People keep expecting the Pats to get those "speedy" LBs every year and every year BB stays true to his defensive philosophy and doesn't take any of them (early). If you want speed at the LB level you can always play with an additional safety. I really don't think this will be addressed the way some people here want it to be. Whether I like it or not is a different discussion.

I wish we would replace Elandon Roberts with someone who is more consistent against the run. For how little he gives you in coverage -- even if he went from abysmal to barely competent this year -- he also gets blocked out of plays or overcommits on runs way too often. KVN is having his best year so far. No idea what the team will do with Hightower. His future might actually be affected the most by how the rest of the season goes.

A DT that can keep the front from getting totally gashed while they are in sub is the biggest hole on this team. A second DE -- unless Rivers has a hell of a turnaround this preseason -- comes in as a second. And given the age of DMac and Chung safety comes in third. Maybe Melifonwu can grow to become a contributor next year.

The secondary is in good shape with young talent in the pipeline and JMac playing an unexpectedly strong overall season while Gilmore is having a AP type of year. If we can't get JMac back on a reasonable one year deal I hope someone out of the young group of DBs grows into a capable CB2.

At this point the player that is giving me the most headaches is Trent Brown. As excellent as he is more often than not as a pass blocker, he seems to be the same amount of an issue as a run blocker. I hope it is just confirmation bias on my end but it seems like he often misses assignments and takes a step too much to the point where his blocking angle is not ideal. I would not be surprised if the team doesn't really make it a priority to get him back especially given the contract that most probably is coming his way. And, again, I am not saying he is a bad player but what I perceive as his weaknesses and the value a LT has isn't necessarily the greatest mix when it comes to big FA contract extensions.

Last edited:
No. The needs will still be the needs no matter what happens in the next month. DT still needs two bodies, at least one LB, a safety, and maybe a corner.

As always, it is all about value. IMHO, we will re-sign Brown or pay some else to be a starting LT (or compete with Wynn to be a starting LT). Cannon is injured for part of almost every year. We need three competent OT's. This year we had Cannon, Brown and Wynn, but lost Wynn to injury, so Waddle was the replacement.
======================

At this point the player that is giving me the most headaches is Trent Brown. As excellent as he is more often than not as a pass blocker, he seems to be the same amount of issue as a run blocker. I hope it is just confirmation bias on my end but it seems like he often misses assignments and takes a step too much to the point where his blocking angle is not ideal. I would not be surprised if the team doesn't really make it a priority to get him back especially given the contract that most probably is coming his way.

No. The needs will still be the needs no matter what happens in the next month. DT still needs two bodies, at least one LB, a safety, and maybe a corner.

I know the most glaring things are on D, but I would also posit that WR, TE, T, and possibly QB could all be considered needs after this season.

Edit: By QB, I mean backup and future grooming. Wasn't meant to mean anything against Brady's current form. Just to be clear.

The DL needs a total revamp, and that's even if they re-sign Flowers. For Linebackers, I have high expectations for Bentley but Hightower is on the downside of his career and Roberts is a one trick pony (if you can even call it a trick). I don't think they need to address safety yet this year as there are higher priorities, but McCourty and Harmon have had down years and while Chung has been reliable, he's getting up there in age.

Cornerback I would say is one of our last needs. Gilmore is elite, Jackson looks very promising, McCourty might be looking for one last payday but could come back with the twin situation, I liked Dawson coming out of college, and Jones is solid (aside from last week).

The OL has always been solid and we'll add a first round pick talent with Wynn next year. Brown has been pretty subpar the past few weeks which might lower his value that we can bring him back. I think we're set there, with maybe a midround pick selected for a swing tackle.

DL, LB, TE, WR in that order. I think they can address QB next year with the expectation Tom can still play 2 more seasons.

Likely, Jason McCourty and J Jones will be the corners.

Posters list #4 safety every year. And Belichick continue to believe that a #4 safety is a low priority. But, we will bring in a body or two at safety. One of the bodies at LB is Bentley.

I agree, but WR has to be on that list.
Yup

Edelman is signed for 2019.

Gordon is an RFA and will be extended or tendered at the highest level.

Hogan, Dorsett and Patterson are free agents.

McCarron and Berrios are on IR.

I know the most glaring things are on D, but I would also posit that WR, TE, T, and possibly QB could all be considered needs after this season.

Edit: By QB, I mean backup and future grooming. Wasn't meant to mean anything against Brady's current form. Just to be clear.

I was just analyzing the defensive side of the football. On O, I would say WR, TE, T, RB, and QB would be needs.

Posters list #4 safety every year. And Belichick continue to believe that a #4 safety is a low priority. But, we will bring in a body or two at safety. One of the bodies at LB is Bentley.

I'm actually thinking about a potential long-term McCourty replacement that can come in and contribute as the S3/4 right off the bat.

I guess that we use the word "need" differently.

I am 100% fine with Michel, White, Burkhead and Develin at RB and FB. Sure, we call always use a 5th. After all, Patterson is a free agent.

I was just analyzing the defensive side of the football. On O, I would say WR, TE, T, RB, and QB would be needs.

I'm actually thinking about a potential long-term McCourty replacement that can come in and contribute as the S3/4 right off the bat.

QB behind RB ? Or is this not in order ?

In previous years the need was #4 safety. That’s not the case any more.
Chung’s age and style of play says he is nearing the end of being effective. Mccourtys cap hit days the same about him.
Harmon is ok but you surely don’t want him to be your best safety.

I guess that we use the word "need" differently.

I am 100% fine with Michel, White, Burkhead and Develin at RB and FB. Sure, we call always use a 5th. After all, Patterson is a free agent.

A bruiser/goal line type is a need. Unless they plan on re-signing Hill, I'm not sure how you could argue that RB isn't a need.

Don't forget QB

They may need a WR, but I expect that the need is filled through FA or later in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots