PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do not want to start a rumor, heard a page for a Jace Amaro in Logan...

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Was in Logan on 15 April, and while waiting overheard an announcement for a "Jace Amaro" something about "standby" and seat availability for a plane to Houston. Just asking, how many Jace Amaro's are there in the world??

If it was Jace Amaro, do these draft prospects fly standby?? Thought it was an interesting announcement...

Or it could have been someone else...

Probably same guy. He was flying to Houston, goes to school at Texas Tech, maybe he lives in Houston.

They already met with him once, so maybe there a stronger interest on our part

Just as long as it's after he falls a little and we grab him at a bargain spot I won't be too angry. ;)

Everyone's down on him because he runs like Gronkowski and plays like Hernandez; but I mean, nearly all the Gronkowski measurables are there. Bench reps, squat jump, broad jump, and arm length are all best-in-class for TEs and he's 6'5" 265 lbs. Could Amaro block in-line if that's what was asked of him? The strength, explosion, and arm numbers suggest he could if that was made a coaching focus.

Him being a top bench guy with those long arms is pretty damn impressive actually. He could be able to reach people and kick in the corner on stretch. I'm not a huge draft scout guy so, does the film say he just is terrible at this or doesn't want to do it, or is more a case of Texas Tech not having him do it much?

Everyone's down on him because he runs like Gronkowski and plays like Hernandez; but I mean, nearly all the Gronkowski measurables are there. Bench reps, squat jump, broad jump, and arm length are all best-in-class for TEs and he's 6'5" 265 lbs. Could Amaro block in-line if that's what was asked of him? The strength, explosion, and arm numbers suggest he could if that was made a coaching focus.

Him being a top bench guy with those long arms is pretty damn impressive actually. He could be able to reach people and kick in the corner on stretch. I'm not a huge draft scout guy so, does the film say he just is terrible at this or doesn't want to do it, or is more a case of Texas Tech not having him do it much?
I've seen him throw some nice blocks, BUT, his main function on his team was to catch passes. He's VERY good at that, and that's EXACTLY what this team needs. God know's IF Gronk will even start the season on time, and if he'll get injured again. We need someone who is better at CATCHING THE BALL than Hooman. All I know is that Amaro is an awesome pass catching TE, he wants the ball when the game is on the line, that is the kind of player I want. This draft is super deep at WR, but not as deep at TE, since this offense hums when we have a dominating pass catching TE, my thought are, we need to draft one before the 3rd round, or all of the good ones will be gone. Then in the 3rd round maybe pick a receiver, in this draft, you might be able to get a stud receiver in th 3rd round.

I've seen him throw some nice blocks, BUT, his main function on his team was to catch passes. He's VERY good at that, and that's EXACTLY what this team needs. God know's IF Gronk will even start the season on time, and if he'll get injured again. We need someone who is better at CATCHING THE BALL than Hooman. All I know is that Amaro is an awesome pass catching TE, he wants the ball when the game is on the line, that is the kind of player I want. This draft is super deep at WR, but not as deep at TE, since this offense hums when we have a dominating pass catching TE, my thought are, we need to draft one before the 3rd round, or all of the good ones will be gone. Then in the 3rd round maybe pick a receiver, in this draft, you might be able to get a stud receiver in th 3rd round.

I agree, I think the patriots need to approach the draft as if they are "moving on" from Gronk. Of course we keep him on the roster as a luxury when he's healthy. But time to bring in a TE that can be productive and won't be injury prone.

I want to criticize Jace Amaro and say I don't want him because of remarks about his physicality, but whenever I think about that I think about all the pundits that were knocking Lavonte David and Zach Brown (different position, I konw) for being bad tacklers. It's very rare that a talented player falls out of the NFL because they are "soft", but there sure are a lot of players that were called soft that end up doing great things.

If The Pats draft him then he is a Patriot. I'll be on board. It means that his production and college tape spoke volumes to the Powers that be and they see him as a fit for this team.

Has anyone else noticed how 'quiet' Jace Amaro has been post combine. Almost no buzz at all that I've seen.

Was in Logan on 15 April, and while waiting overheard an announcement for a "Jace Amaro" something about "standby" and seat availability for a plane to Houston. Just asking, how many Jace Amaro's are there in the world??

If it was Jace Amaro, do these draft prospects fly standby?? Thought it was an interesting announcement...

Or it could have been someone else...

That was me.

He owes me Twenty Bucks.

Well, I have a hard time trusting Texas Tech guys to begin with, as that offense causes statistics to blow up. I have a hard time seeing Amaro getting open in the NFL. I think we're looking at a Scott Chandler-type -- a useful player, but not someone I'm anxious to drop a 1st or even high second on in this draft.

I don't think Amaro is good enough to see a whole lot of playing time -- would he be one of our top 4 non-linemen, non QB/RB offensive players?

We won 13 games last year without that "flex" tight end, and it's non-essential to our offense in the sense that we'd draft someone specifically to play that role.

Frankly, I'd rather see what DJ Williams or Mark Harrison can do than force a pick on a TE early.

My knock on Amaro is that he hardly makes any contestested catches. If he's open and the ball is thrown to his hands, he'll catch it, if not he won't. It's why I'd prefer ASJ if we're going to draft a TE in the 2nd (although I still think it's a reach because of his questionable work rate and hunger). ASJ can catch the ball that's off target and can win when the ball is just thrown up there. He's a red zone threat and Amaro isn't. Don't get me wrong, Amaro will make plenty of open field catches and move the chains, but how many times do the Gronk-less Pats move the chains before stalling in the redzone?

We won 13 games last year without that "flex" tight end, and it's non-essential to our offense in the sense that we'd draft someone specifically to play that role.

Frankly, I'd rather see what DJ Williams or Mark Harrison can do than force a pick on a TE early.

No offense but you have got to be kidding, how many of those games we won with a comeback, how many was by just a few points, it could have been a 9-7 season easily, not only that, that offense stank many times without Gronk opening things in the middle, it's not only his catches, it's the Gronk effect. Without him or any threat TE it's easy to cover the receivers. Everybody knew we didn't have a TE and were prepared to neutralize our offense, the game against Denver in the playoffs was a showcase, almost a pro vs amateurs match.

We need that TE and a impact WR to keep the opponent defenses honest.

DJ WIllians and Mark Harrison? Jesus, I don't wanna test Brady's patience at that point.

No offense but you have got to be kidding, how many of those games we won with a comeback, how many was by just a few points, it could have been a 9-7 season easily, not only that, that offense stank many times without Gronk opening things in the middle, it's not only his catches, it's the Gronk effect. Without him or any threat TE it's easy to cover the receivers. Everybody knew we didn't have a TE and were prepared to neutralize our offense, the game against Denver in the playoffs was a showcase, almost a pro vs amateurs match.

DJ WIllians and Mark Harrison? Jesus, I don't wanna test Brady's patience at that point.

Psst...he didn't say "tight end," he said "flex tight end." Meaning YES Gronk, but not necessarily Gronk + Hernandez.

Well, I have a hard time trusting Texas Tech guys to begin with, as that offense causes statistics to blow up. I have a hard time seeing Amaro getting open in the NFL. I think we're looking at a Scott Chandler-type -- a useful player, but not someone I'm anxious to drop a 1st or even high second on in this draft.

I don't think Amaro is good enough to see a whole lot of playing time -- would he be one of our top 4 non-linemen, non QB/RB offensive players?

I don't think he's a flex tight end either. I think he's another Y. A Y with most of his experience playing split out, but Gronk did that a lot at Arizona and nobody held it against him. I think the Pats need another Y badly. We are always running out of capable Y in the playoffs.
Code:
Guy		40	Bench	Vert	Broad	Shut	3cone
Uh-oh		4.77	25	32.5	110	4.52	7.67
Chandler	4.78	16	30	111	4.32	7.26
Amaro		4.74	28	33	118	4.30	7.42
Gronk*		4.68	n/a	33.5	119	4.47	7.18
*Pro Day results
To me that says Amaro is more explosive and powerful than Scott Chandler and more everything than Hoomanawanui. That 16 bench reps for Chandler explains why it took him awhile to get going in the league, and why he was a late 4th, but now he's a ~45 reception a year guy and a good blocker. To me that's worth the ass-end 2nd round pick, or even a small trade up, given the importance of the position, the rarity of guys that can play it, and the opportunity afforded by having Uh-oh as TE #2.

Presuming, of course, that Amaro aced his apparent visit last month.

Amaro is not Gronkowski. Nor is he Hernandez. There is no logical reason to believe he'd upgrade the offense, and I want no part of him before 62.

I
I don't think he's a flex tight end either. I think he's another Y. A Y with most of his experience playing split out, but Gronk did that a lot at Arizona and nobody held it against him. I think the Pats need another Y badly. We are always running out of capable Y in the playoffs.
Code:
Guy        40    Bench    Vert    Broad    Shut    3cone
Uh-oh        4.77    25    32.5    110    4.52    7.67
Chandler    4.78    16    30    111    4.32    7.26
Amaro        4.74    28    33    118    4.30    7.42
Gronk*        4.68    n/a    33.5    119    4.47    7.18
*Pro Day results
To me that says Amaro is more explosive and powerful than Scott Chandler and more everything than Hoomanawanui. That 16 bench reps for Chandler explains why it took him awhile to get going in the league, and why he was a late 4th, but now he's a ~45 reception a year guy and a good blocker. To me that's worth the ass-end 2nd round pick, or even a small trade up, given the importance of the position, the rarity of guys that can play it, and the opportunity afforded by having Uh-oh as TE #2.

Presuming, of course, that Amaro aced his apparent visit last month.

I'm OK with your opinion, except the inference that a .04 difference in below-average 40 times means one guy is more explosive than another.

I

I'm OK with your opinion, except the inference that a .04 difference in below-average 40 times means one guy is more explosive than another.

No no, for me explosion is the vert and broad jumps. Amaro and Gronk clearly outclass Chandler and Uh-oh in those. That's run blocking, among other things, getting into the defender at the snap of the ball. I'm not saying Amaro is going to blow by a CB downfield. I'm saying he has the physical ability to blow out an LB in-line, especially with his arm reach and upper body strength, he should be able to defeat and control them. Whether he can or not is also technique and attitude, which I would imagine was what the suspected visit would have mostly been about.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back