PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dion Lewis Status??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Have there been any updates on Dion Lewis' rehab? Is he on schedule? Ahead? Behind?

One of the things I've been thinking is that Lewis could start the year on the PUP and that would open the door for someone like Foster to get reps with White.

There's been a few reports saying he's doing well and is on schedule. Given that he got hurt midseason I expect him back for Game 1. ACLs generally aren't 12 month recoveries.

There's been a few reports saying he's doing well and is on schedule. Given that he got hurt midseason I expect him back for Game 1. ACLs generally aren't 12 month recoveries.

They used to be 12-18 month recoveries. I know that they aren't that anymore because they are much less invasive (can be done totally arthroscopically) That being said, I could still see the Pats putting him on PUP to not rush him back. Especially since this is his 2nd major injury..

I thought I saw a report saying he was ahead of schedule, but I don't know where.

They used to be 12-18 month recoveries. I know that they aren't that anymore because they are much less invasive (can be done totally arthroscopically) That being said, I could still see the Pats putting him on PUP to not rush him back. Especially since this is his 2nd major injury..
I can see it happening too, and I would probably be okay with it. Protect the little guy from harm entirely for a while... That said, it would be hard with him missing reps, but he could likely slot right back in mid season, and White is serviceable... Plus, Foster can probably replicate his role to some degree.

Players tend to be back for Game 1 whenever the injury happened now. Like Welker who was hurt the last week of the regular season. Maybe they'll play it safe with Lewis to help keep him healthy longer but there's no reason to think he couldn't play if he had to.

Peterson did it in 9 months, but I believe 12 months is more common with a lot of variation until performance is 100%. With Lewis injured last November, and BB being cautious, I think there is a good chance he will not be available at the start of the season. Should this occur, with Brown and Foster they are better prepared for his absence than they were last year.

A lot will depend on Brady's status. If he does sit out the first 4 games there will be more pressure to start Lewis on day 1.

From what I have heard, he is ahead of schedule, but PUP may be a solid move to play it safe.

I am of the opinion, that over use of Gronk, Edelman and now I'll put Lewis in that category, too, is not a good idea. Sure, it's fun to watch the high flying offense and the talents they have, but I'd like to see some conservative uses of them early and mid season.....

Translation: I'd like to see more of a power running game used where people like Gronk and Edelman are used more as blockers.

IMO, in 2014, they did a really great job managing their use, which is why I feel they were healthy all year and into the SB.

Brady needs to use the less sexy pieces MORE so they can keep guys healthier.

A lot will depend on Brady's status. If he does sit out the first 4 games there will be more pressure to start Lewis on day 1.

Not sure if I agree. A more traditional style of offense, with more of a power run game would seem to help JimmyG, as opposed to empty set shotgun spreads.

Get him to playaction with Develin lead blocking for Donald Brown and two TE sets, with Edelman at the Z.

That's what I want more of from Brady in the postseason, but that's another discussion.

He's right on track for his next injury!

Channeling my inner patsfans pessimist today.

Not sure if I agree. A more traditional style of offense, with more of a power run game would seem to help JimmyG, as opposed to empty set shotgun spreads.

Get him to playaction with Develin lead blocking for Donald Brown and two TE sets, with Edelman at the Z.

That's what I want more of from Brady in the postseason, but that's another discussion.

I think it's a forgone conclusion that we're going to see more 2 TE sets with the addition of Bennett to the team.

I hate to be that guy and if you've noticed my posts I generally haven't but I can't help but wonder if a better question is how many games will he play and will he be a factor at the end of the season.

I think it's a forgone conclusion that we're going to see more 2 TE sets with the addition of Bennett to the team.

No, no...What I mean is, use Gronk and Bennett more in motion and with wham blocks and more In-Line traditional blocking type sets, especially between the 20s.

Good news is, Bennett is a beastly blocker like Gronk and Chandler was not a good blocker.

So, if you keep Bennett and Gronk on the field all the way down the field on a drive, with say, Donald Brown and Lewis in a back set, Brady under Center and Edelman at the Z, defenses will NEVER KNOW if it's a run or pass play.

Bennett Gronk Edelman

Brady

Lewis Brown

I really don't think Lewis' availability is influenced by TB12's status.

If his knee is not 100% then he needs to sit. Period. No need for a player important as Lewis to this offense to push it Week 1.

Its a looooooong season.

Last edited:
Josh McDaniels spoke at the draft party the other day. He didn't get into the injury specifically but he was talking about Dion and based on what he said you could tell he loves him and has him very much in the plans for this year.

I agree that the run game is the best first option to make up for the drop off in talent at the QB position. I'm just saying if Brady ends up sitting out the first 4 games I expect to see an "all hands on deck" kind of urgency to win. That, coupled with the fact the Pats run game wasn't exactly reliable last year makes me think its likely you would see Lewis earlier in the season than you would if Brady is plays out of the gate.

I agree that the run game is the best first option to make up for the drop off in talent at the QB position. I'm just saying if Brady ends up sitting out the first 4 games I expect to see an "all hands on deck" kind of urgency to win. That, coupled with the fact the Pats run game wasn't exactly reliable last year makes me think its likely you would see Lewis earlier in the season than you would if Brady is plays out of the gate.
The longer he heals the lower the risk of re-injury. If there is any coach who consistently takes the long view it is Bill. He would rather have Dion in January than in September. I do think he needs more weapons in the backfield though, and I expect FA signings at RB.

The last thing I remember reading was from Mike Reiss, and he basically said something to the effect of his recovery is "exactly where it should be, if not better". No doubt they should take it slow with him in training camp and even into the preseason but when the games start to matter I think he'll be ready. His Instagram is always full of him doing all kinds of workouts and recouping in tubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back