PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dion Lewis Fumble/NOT a fumble

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe this to be true as well, which is unfortunate for us because I bet they would have stuck with the initial 'down by contact' but feared they changed to 'fumble' knowing that a change of possession would automatically draw replay scrutiny.

We obviously won the game either way, but very interesting circumstances with this play.

Umm, but it's 100% clear he had the ball, his knee came down, and only then did Jack strip it.

The replay showed this after the game camera sort of blocked the audience with what happened.

So, trolls and loser fanbases were not only willing to see us cheated, but doubled down, claiming the refs robbed the Jags of a TD.

Absolutely unreal.

What I want to know is: what did the ref see causing him to whistle the play dead?

it's not...Was his left knee down when he had the ball possessed against this leg with his hand or not?

WEll, it does apply IF you classify him losing possesion at anytime between having the ball cradled initially and when he had it pinned against his leg.

If you're argument is that he never lost possession between these two points then I agree that 'surviving the ground' doesn't come into play.

Im still not 100% either way but I thought itd be very tough to overturn that and say he regained possession. Has perreira or anyone more knowledgeable on the matter chimed in??

Umm, but it's 100% clear he had the ball, his knee came down, and only then did Jack strip it.

The replay showed this after the game camera sort of blocked the audience with what happened.

So, trolls and loser fanbases were not only willing to see us cheated, but doubled down, claiming the refs robbed the Jags of a TD.

Absolutely unreal.

My guess...........one ref says "he is down" blows play dead

anotehr ref comes in and says "no, that's a live ball" but oops, play has already been whistled dead.

what do we do? let's stick with 'fumble' since we know it will get reviewed.

• Agree
Reactions: JJC
He had the ball pinned against his leg as he fell (therefore in possession) - FACT

The ball popped out upon his back slamming the ground (therefore down by contact) - FACT

The ball was then scooped up by Jax and blown dead by the official who had correctly observed facts 1 and 2 above. This isn’t the catch rule kids.

End of conversation, no debate needed.

Wrong. Just goes to show you don’t know the possession rules.

Im still not 100% either way but I thought itd be very tough to overturn that and say he regained possession. Has perreira or anyone more knowledgeable on the matter chimed in??

He DEFINITELY didn't REGAIN possession b/c he would need to survive the ground to do so.

Whether he ever lost possession is the sticking point with me.

Absolutely unreal.
I need to make sure I understand you before I take you to school:

Are you saying he fumbled the ball then recovered it prior to hitting the ground? Or are you saying that he never fumbled the ball in the first place? (Please keep in mind that bobbling/juggling the ball is considered a fumble)

'surviving the ground' can apply to runners, see the famous ASJ play from the Jets game

He was a pass receiver as well, but he hadn't posssessed it yet, due to the juggling of it. Lewis did not juggle. He had ALREADY possessed it and made a football move anyway.

It is clear as day and he was down for a while before it was finally stripped away.

Saw the replay today... it's closer than I thought... but i don't know the rule about possession.

Pretty sure, though, that...

giphy.gif

...this is NOT possession. :)

If he hadn't possessed it yet then it would have been ruled incomplete.

The only way it could be ruled a fumble is if he was a runner, hence my original comment.

Once a player becomes a runner there is no surviving the ground because there is no way a ball can be ruled incomplete. That’s why that aspect is totally irrelevant in this case.

Thank you.

Some of us know the game, some of us apparently don't.
Some of us are blind.

By some of us I mean you.

He fumbled it way before he was down. Briefly pinning it for a thousandth of a second with his wrist is not possession. This is the ASJ play but in the middle of the field instead of the endzone

They would have stayed with the call either way.
Exactly ... but the debate would have been huge as the meme out there is Patriots get all the calls.

Once a player becomes a runner there is no surviving the ground because there is no way a ball can be ruled incomplete. That’s why that aspect is totally irrelevant in this case.

When you are a runner 'surviving the ground' does become relevant if the runner fumbles the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes