PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did the patriots drop the zone run scheme?

StrawHatPatriot

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Sinple question

We ran the ball really well today, and the plays looked more like how they did last year.

We've been running a few more RPO than normal. Gap/power throughout the year but we definitely leaned and looked comfortable running it more today.

Fwiw I don't ever think we became a "zone" run blocking team and said as much all summer. Just think it's something we wanted to practice and get more familiar with.

When Onwenu is doing really well, like today, we’re doing the power stuff. Doing outside zone Onwenu looks like a fat guy doing ballet.

Can they drop the draw plays against at team that struggles against the pass? Can they get a QB who doesn't just throw the ball to the other team?

You tell me.

They ran a handful of zones in addition to the directional. One of the picks came from a boot off of a wide zone which they had set up a bit with previous runs. Like BGC said, I don't think it's necessarily a shift in philsophy as much as it was more so a regression to the mean.

Because they can't (yet?) make it work. Even the new don't-worry-be-happy-Bill can see that.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back