PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dez Bryant vs Devin McCourty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only Game 1. If he's played well then I stand corrected. Good for him.

Admittedly I haven't seen him either so I can't speak to the validity of the PFF ranking.

Let's also not overlook the fact that a WR's individual success doesn't always translate to team success. Dez Bryant is also an example of this. The Cowboys are 1-7 in games where Dez Bryant scores two TDs, and 21-22 the rest of the time.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/10/dallas-cowboys-are-now-1-7-in-games-when-wr-dez-bryant-catches-at-least-two-touchdowns.html/?nclick_check=1

Dez is certainly a heck of a player, but he wouldn't have survived past training camp here. It's time to let it go, seriously.

Let's also not overlook the fact that a WR's individual success doesn't always translate to team success. Dez Bryant is also an example of this. The Cowboys are 1-7 in games where Dez Bryant scores two TDs, and 21-22 the rest of the time.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/10/dallas-cowboys-are-now-1-7-in-games-when-wr-dez-bryant-catches-at-least-two-touchdowns.html/?nclick_check=1

Dez is certainly a heck of a player, but he wouldn't have survived past training camp here. It's time to let it go, seriously.

Do you seriously believe this?

Yeah...like what?

The statistics he used were not fitting at all. Basically saying that the Cowboys are worse because Dez Bryant is having a great game. TB w/Dez would have been formidable but I'm certainly not banging my head over the fact that we got DMc instead. He's proved to be quite good as our safety.

Had a very quick look at a Ravens forum and they seemed to like him too. I'm pleased he's having a good year.

Dig was on the radio on my way home from work here in MD. Radio host talked about Terrell's comment about Brady and asked what Brady was like when Dig played for NE. He said Brady's a great guy, great teammate, works hard and wants to do right by his teammates. He mentioned how Brady loved the game. He also did concede that Brady does get preferential treatment from the refs. Host asked him if Brady complains to the refs for calls which Dig replied "no, that's what Peyton does":D

Excellent post, aside from the fact that I think the part about him not making it out of the first TC may have been a bit of an exaggeration. Now, if you want to make the argument that he may have never picked up the offense, or that he'd have set our scheme back in certain ways or never matured etc--that is more understandable.

Your best sentence was the one about letting it go. It's time to let it all go. Belichick passed on both Dez Bryant and Demarius Thomas, so apparently he had his reasons for doing so. This doesn't bother me half as badly as the comparison to passing up Greg Jennings for another wasted WR, because in that case....they were actually targeting a wide receiver.

In this case, Belichick thought the safer pick was McCourty, so looking back in hindsight is totally pointless. IIRC, he accumulated additional picks in the process, so that has to be taken into consideration too.

Again, Bryant is a GREAT wide receiver, and he'd have helped here IF he worked out and understood everything, along with buying into the Patriot mindset etc; but the attempt to try and compare him in a Cowboy uniform vs a Patriot uniform is silly due to the fact that we'll never know. Sometimes players look great in certain teams, schemes, and situations, while other times they completely fail. We see it all the time.

At this point in time though, 3+ yrs later, it's absolutely pointless to concern ourselves about it. Belichick made the decision, right or wrong--and it's just time to move on, just like you said.

I don't understand all the hate on this thread. I love McCourty back at safety for us. He's one of our defensive leaders, but Dez Bryant in Dallas is an elite WR. I think its fair to say both were good picks for their teams. I don't know how anyone can dispute that.

No, but can't I just have one sarcastic moment? :p

But I don't think he would have been a good fit though. I think the broken routes he used to always run would have got him benched. He caused a lot of INTs for Romo those first few years. I don't think he would have developed into his full potential even if we did draft him. And I don't think we would have babysat him the way the Cowboys did.

I just don't think he'd be the player he is today if he came here. No different than Brady may not have developed into the player he is if he went to another team.

Yeah...like what?

The statistics he used were not fitting at all. Basically saying that the Cowboys are worse because Dez Bryant is having a great game. TB w/Dez would have been formidable but I'm certainly not banging my head over the fact that we got DMc instead. He's proved to be quite good as our safety.

That's not what I'm basically saying. What I said is that "a WR's individual success doesn't always translate to team success."

I did not say the Cowboys are worse because Dez Bryant is having a great game. I am saying it doesn't necessarily have a huge impact on whether the team wins or loses like say a QB's big game or 100-yard games from running backs or turnover ratio or other significant statistical markers.

If Tom Brady has a big game, we usually win. If LeSean McCoy runs for 100 yards, the Eagles usually win. If Dez Bryant has a huge game, the Cowboys don't necessarily win.

That's what "a WR's individual success doesn't always translate to team success" means. Not that Dez Bryant makes the Cowboys worse if he plays well. Just that his success doesn't necessarily mean the team succeeds.

I don't understand all the hate on this thread. I love McCourty back at safety for us. He's one of our defensive leaders, but Dez Bryant in Dallas is an elite WR. I think its fair to say both were good picks for their teams. I don't know how anyone can dispute that.

The thread asks if the Pats made a mistake in drafting McCourty over Bryant, not whether Bryant was a good pick for the Cowboys. I have heard nobody here say that Bryant was not a good pick for the Cowboys, or that he has not played well for them.

Bryant is a very good, physically gifted receiver playing in a system that does not ask him to play to his limitations (thinking). I would disagree that he is elite because there is nothing to suggest he could play in any offense, rather than the relatively simple Dallas offense. Saying Bryant would struggle with the Pats is not hate. It is history (Joey Galloway, Chad Johnson, etc.).

The thread asks if the Pats made a mistake in drafting McCourty over Bryant, not whether Bryant was a good pick for the Cowboys. I have heard nobody here say that Bryant was not a good pick for the Cowboys, or that he has not played well for them.

Bryant is a very good, physically gifted receiver playing in a system that does not ask him to play to his limitations (thinking). I would disagree that he is elite because there is nothing to suggest he could play in any offense, rather than the relatively simple Dallas offense. Saying Bryant would struggle with the Pats is not hate. It is history (Joey Galloway, Chad Johnson, etc.).

So does this also mean that Demaryius Thomas, another guy we passed on for McCourty/Price in that same draft would have also stuggled in our offense ? Mmmm, let me see, would the team be better off with Demaryius Thomas or Dez Bryant or would the team be better with Devin McCourty/Taylor Price?? Mmm, tough call here, let me sleep on this one :eek:

Everything is easier in retrospect, but Randy Moss eventually ended up on the Patriots. He actually had more red flags coming out than Bryant. Moss and Bryant are similar stories, though not similar talents.

Here's an article about Darius Butler's play for Indy: Colts CB Darius Butler continues his career resurrection - Stampede Blue

Perhaps we should not be so quick to call people busts. Unfortunately, this kid needed 2 or 3 years just to get acclimated to the NFL. The article portrays him as having something of a character issue. Butler was never a kid who didn't put in the work. Rather, it was a confidence issue. He came in and did well, then was put in an elevated position, and got burned frequently. His confidence was shot. He was a shell of himself. There's no guessing what would have happened if he stayed in New England, but one thing is for sure. When you read the scouting and coaching assessments of other teams, and you see his play now, with 3 TDs returned for INTs, you can't blame the Patriots for taking him in the second round.

Anyone who thinks the Patriots flubbed this one is not taking into account all the variables that come into play.

So does this also mean that Demaryius Thomas, another guy we passed on for McCourty/Price in that same draft would have also stuggled in our offense ? Mmmm, let me see, would the team be better off with Demaryius Thomas or Dez Bryant or would the team be better with Devin McCourty/Taylor Price?? Mmm, tough call here, let me sleep on this one :eek:

Riddle me this - who drafted Demaryius Thomas? That would be the current OC for the Pats. He was brought into a Pats-like system, and has a brain. What's your point? You appear to have offered a revelation that has little to nothing to do with what I posted.

If you are saying, in hindsight, Thomas would have been a better pick than McCourty, then that is a closer call. It also isn't the ongoing discussion, so I'm not looking to hijack the thread. Thomas and Bryant are very different receivers (to start with, Bryant had a 16 and Thomas had a 34 on the Wonderlic). Plain and simple.

I think Thomas would have had a better chance in the long run (because he seems like he's got a much better head on his shoulders), but don't forget that he was coming out of that terrible Georgia Tech offense. He averaged 28 yards per game as a rookie because they basically had to teach him how to run every route that didn't have him running straight down the field. I know people complain about the Pats taking Taylor Price despite his lack of diverse routes, but Thomas had the exact same problem, just with more physical talent.

Is seems like Taylor Price is dumb as bricks because he didn't catch on in Jacksonville either.

Thomas, probably.

Bryant, no.

Just because you see a guy on a highlight reel all the time doesn't mean he is necessarily more valuable than a guy who does not showcase his skills by chunk yards all game. Dez Bryant is a very good wide receiver, but people are biased in thinking WRs are always more valuable than defensive backs because it is easier to see their positive impact. Bryant is supposed to catch a lot of passes, just like McCourty is supposed to prevent passes from being caught, tackle runners, and force turnovers. Both do a very good job at what they do, but people can't seem to get over that Bryant is always on television making athletic plays while McCourty is rarely on the screen.

When you factor in that Bryant would not fit into this system because he has a low IQ, is a drama queen, and still often makes critical gaffes, it becomes clear that McCourty was the right choice. In addition, there are a huge amount of WRs that can do what Bryant does, while there are fewer free safeties that can match McCourty's level of play.

Don't let the sizzle make you take your eye off the steak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore