PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Devin McCourty to Retire After Super Bowl Victory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While being interviewed by Deion Sanders on NFLN at media night:
"I don't know what else would top winning a Super Bowl with my brother. I'm just trying to enjoy this season and enjoy these last few days with these guys."

Has to be one of the biggest stories to come from tonight, or the most unexpected at least. 31 years old, 9th year in the league. He has 1 year left on his 5 year deal. Cap hit next year is $13.4M. Would be a huge loss in the locker room.

Who could we get to fill that spot?
Earl Thomas?
Promote Harmon?
Or will the force be strong in Obi 1

I suspect he's taking a page out of Gronk's playbook; bluff about retirement to protect the contract.

Who could we get to fill that spot?
Earl Thomas?
Promote Harmon?
Or will the force be strong in Obi 1
Obi would obviously get a shot. More likely they draft his replacement this year whether he's back next year or not. After thinking about it a bit more, there's a decent shot the Pats ask him to take a pay cut this offseason even if he stays. Maybe he sees the writing on the wall and if they win, takes his opportunity to go out on top with his health in tact. He's definitely got a future in media.

We can wait a week to start Draft talk, but this will be a huge Draft for the Pats.

i mean hes not wrong. he and his brother could both go out on top. that would be so bitter sweet for the mccourty twins.

I don't see anything about retirement in there. He's just saying it would be the best thing imaginable to win a Super Bowl playing with his twin, and he's focused on the last week of the year. After this week, the roster will be broken up and this group of players will never be together again.

Much ado about nothing

The crimes of SB bye:
1. Pro Bowl
2. “Media“ Bowl

a) not the news
b) he has 13.5M reasons to think about everything peacefully after the season.
c) taking a lot of cap space for NE to do likewise.
d) Gronk did not retire last yr . but also kept himself from being traded and added incentives..

Last edited:
I don't really have the ability to watch, so I can't comment on body language etc, but is it possible people are taking his words out of context?

I don't really have the ability to watch, so I can't comment on body language etc, but is it possible people are taking his words out of context?

Not really

"I'm just trying to enjoy this season and enjoy these last few days with these guys."

Defiantly didn't expect him to say this but...If he's ready to move on...he will

Gronk and McCourty, two Patriots HOFers who while great are at this point overpaid/huge cap hits, both going out on top with 3 rings and spending their whole career with Pats?

Sounds like a win/win to me

That's a combined $20m+ in cap-room for next year...

When people earlier in the year said “there could be some big changes and departures following this 2018 season” they may have been right, only just not for the doom and gloom reason that they meant by it.

Not going to read too much into this example with DMac, but it wouldn’t be shocking to see a surprise retirement or two. This run is unprecedented, and there’s a relatively large group of guys who might wake up Monday morning as 2-3x SB champs, who have a lot of money in the bank, and a heightened feeling that their health, family, and life outside of football is important to them when looking at what’s next.

Just going to hope for the best on Sunday, and take it from there.

Gronk and McCourty, two Patriots HOFers who while great are at this point overpaid/huge cap hits, both going out on top with 3 rings and spending their whole career with Pats?

Sounds like a win/win to me

That's a combined $20m+ in cap-room for next year...

McCourty is still an excellent safety and is the overlooked star player of this dynasty version. He isn’t as good as he used to be but it still incredibly valuable as a leader of the defense. He should be a no brained for Pats HOF. Shocked at how little respect he commands here.

Gronkowski is due $9M next year. I keep coming back to his efficency stats, that he is still elite in yards per target, even during this down year, plus an elite blocker. They would be losing a lot if they moved on, but I think he retires anyway due to health reasons. My dream scenario is that Belichick makes an exception for him and allows him to miss a lot of practices, and we see a more rested and player, but I doubt BB sets that precedent.

I would be crushed to lose DMac as he is one of my favorite players and seems like a standup guy. But I would be ok with it given a Super Bowl victory.

Retire a year early, cut the Pats a check for 1/5 his signing bonus.....right?

Retire a year early, cut the Pats a check for 1/5 his signing bonus.....right?

That depends on whether or not the Patriots demand it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST