PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Devin McCourty: massively underrated (stat comp to Earl Thomas)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been on the McCourty train for years saying how underrated he is and scratching my head at how he gets snubbed whenever accolades are given out, not to mention the lack of respect he gets on this forum (his contract considered). That’s not to take anything away from guys like Thomas or Weddle. One thing I’ve always thought though is that Thomas gets more INTs because he plays (or played, past tense) in a more aggressive scheme with a star studded secondary and lockdown corner in Sherman. It seems that McCourty, playing with similar circumstances this year, is proving that INTs for safeties are much more the result of QB pressure and options. That and obviously some luck.

Anyway, the one thing that many forum members have bemoaned over the years is McCourty’s lack of “playmaking” - I guess meaning turnovers, game changing plays, etc. In truth, his stats are very similar to Thomas, who is the consensus best FS of the 2010s. In addition to this, McCourty has been one of the very best at “not showing up on highlight reels” due to his prevention of over the top completions.

Comparing Thomas’s stats here since both were drafted in 2010, though Weddle is similar on a per year basis too. Stats don’t tell the whole story, but I think this suggests his ability to make big plays ranks up there with other elite safeties. I hope the All-Decade team voters take note of a player whose elite contributions - and durability - make him among the very best at his position.

Devin McCourty
142 games played
24 INTs (1 TD)
83 pass deflections
722 tackles

Earl Thomas
128 games played
29 INTs (2 TDs)
70 pass deflections
671 tackles

Last edited:
Legion of Boom is arguably the best defense of the 2010s, and Earl Thomas is one of the most important pieces on that defense. I don't think it's surprising that DMac is overlooked since there hasn't been a Patriots defense that is comparable to LOB unless you go all the way back to 2004.

This year's defense is very promising, though.

The dude is playing lights out so far. Because he’s putting up the “sexy” numbers, he’ll finally get some recognition he deserves.

I’ve been on the McCourty train for years saying how underrated he is and scratching my head at how he gets snubbed whenever accolades are given out, not to mention the lack of respect he gets on this forum (his contract considered). That’s not to take anything away from guys like Thomas or Weddle. One thing I’ve always thought though is that Thomas gets more INTs because he plays (or played, past tense) in a more aggressive scheme with a star studded secondary and lockdown corner in Sherman. It seems that McCourty, playing with similar circumstances this year, is proving that INTs for safeties are much more the result of QB pressure and options. That and obviously some luck.

Anyway, the one thing that many forum members have bemoaned over the years is McCourty’s lack of “playmaking” - I guess meaning turnovers, game changing plays, etc. In truth, his stats are very similar to Thomas, who is the consensus best FS of the 2010s. In addition to this, McCourty has been one of the very best at “not showing up on highlight reels” due to his prevention of over the top completions.

Comparing Thomas’s stats here since both were drafted in 2010, though Weddle is similar on a per year basis too. Stats don’t tell the whole story, but I think this suggests his ability to make big plays ranks up there with other elite safeties. I hope the All-Decade team voters take note of a player whose elite contributions - and durability - make him among the very best at his position.

Devin McCourty
142 games played
24 INTs (1 TD)
83 pass deflections
722 tackles

Earl Thomas
128 games played
29 INTs (2 TDs)
70 pass deflections
671 tackles
Those stats are mostly meaningless.
McCourty got a lot of his ints at corner.

You can’t have a pass defensed if the qb doesn’t think you aren’t covering your man and he’s open.
Tackles for a safety are as useless a stay as there is, even more so for a free safety.

I’d like a safety who doesn’t make too many tackles because he isn’t tackling receivers he allowed to catch a pass.

Legion of Boom is arguably the best defense of the 2010s
2011 and 2012 49ers were better. You couldn’t run on them. They could rush 3 and get to you. Willis and Bowman were insane and their safeties could knock you out. CB was their only weakness but they were good enough. Eli Manning looked like he was going to leave in a bodybag in the 2011 NFCCG.

Seahawks were the “poor man’s” 49ers until 2013.

Devin McCourty
142 games played
24 INTs (1 TD)
83 pass deflections
722 tackles

Earl Thomas
128 games played
29 INTs (2 TDs)
70 pass deflections
671 tackles

Among his other skills, I don't know if I've ever seen another free safety who tackles better than Dmac. Hell he tackles better than a helluva lotta strong safeties. And I've been watching this game since the 60s.

Those stats are mostly meaningless.
McCourty got a lot of his ints at corner.

You can’t have a pass defensed if the qb doesn’t think you aren’t covering your man and he’s open.
Tackles for a safety are as useless a stay as there is, even more so for a free safety.

I’d like a safety who doesn’t make too many tackles because he isn’t tackling receivers he allowed to catch a pass.

This thread was invitation only. (How embarrassing.). It wasn’t meant to stir up an endless circular argument.

This thread was invitation only. (How embarrassing.). It wasn’t meant to stir up an endless circular argument.
Then don’t have one.
The fact remains judging defensive players by raw statistics is wrong.

Then don’t have one.
The fact remains judging defensive players by raw statistics is wrong.

The thread is going just fine...minus one guy who wants to turn it into an argument and hijack it.

The thread is going just fine...minus one guy who wants to turn it into an argument and hijack it.
You seem to want to turn it into that. If you don’t want to discuss my opinion, don’t respond to it. As long as you respond I will have the courtesy to answer.
It’s a topic that many people more than just you get wrong so it’s a worthy conversation, which you stated by making the argument that stats can sum up who is better.
If you don’t wish to have, participate in a discussion about an important aspect of your OP, then stop responding and you can be left out if it. Pretty simple really.

Devin is like a fine wine, gets better with age.
He is having a heck of a season along the rest of the defense.

2011 and 2012 49ers were better. You couldn’t run on them. They could rush 3 and get to you. Willis and Bowman were insane and their safeties could knock you out. CB was their only weakness but they were good enough. Eli Manning looked like he was going to leave in a bodybag in the 2011 NFCCG.

Seahawks were the “poor man’s” 49ers until 2013.

Yeah but seahawks won a SB. And that’s what counts. People talk about 85 bears or 2000 ravens since they won a SB. If the 2019 Pats defense is to be mentioned in the same breath, rather than an after thought like countless other great defenses, you have to deliver the SB.

It seems that McCourty, playing with similar circumstances this year, is proving that INTs for safeties are much more the result of QB pressure and options.
And then there's Ed Reed who was just doing his own thing.

And then there's Ed Reed who was just doing his own thing.

Nothing against Ed Reed, who I think is the best FS ever, but I think his number of INTs and frequent highlight reels is more evidence that it also takes an aggressive, elite defense for these guys to make plays (otherwise no one would throw near them.). Killer Ray has a gold jacket (and blood stained jacket too), Suggs will probably be in the Hall, Ngata was the best DT in the league. They were totally stacked.

Never forget what could be lurking...

SecondhandHiddenChick-size_restricted.gif

Among his other skills, I don't know if I've ever seen another free safety who tackles better than Dmac. Hell he tackles better than a helluva lotta strong safeties. And I've been watching this game since the 60s.

It makes you wonder if Gronkowski was the better choice as deep safety during the Miami Miracle :)

For every INT DMC's price goes up $500k

He’s coming off a good year and he’s following it up this season. 2016 was his best year. He has had an underrated career as safety despite people getting on him at times. He’s worth the coin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes