PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Desmond Howard SB kick return - holding?

harumph, tough question

one was 1-15

the other was a jete
Both were 1-15 (Kotite after going 3-13 the year before).

Rod was okay. But, he was quiet. He was a central figure in the drama swirling around Foxborough in '84 when Meyer fired him, and Pat hired him back and replaced Ron with Raymond Berry, who at that time was working at a local sporting goods store.

Rod was DC for some very good defenses, especially in '85 & '86.

When Rod left after 1987 the Pats did not replace him with any defensive coordinator for 1988 or 1989 (Hi, BB).

After the strike year he went back to the Chiefs, and the next year was DC for the Steelers, still coached by Noll, who got pummeled 92-10 by the Browns and Bengals to start the year 0-2 - but recovered to make the playoffs, upset the Oilers and nearly upset the Broncos(who went on to get hammered by the 49ers in the Super Bowl 55-10) at Mile High, losing by one point. Bubby Brister, Louis Lipps.

It's clear Victor Kiam knew nothing about football, but Pat Sullivan bottomed out, too. The Rust hiring was horribly 'safe' and unambitious. And Pat apparently thought as little of Flutie as the fired Berry, letting Doug go, and then sit at home in Natick for six months until he went to Canada, and the Patriots had no quarterback for three years. They did pay Hugh Millen $1 million, three times what Doug made in Canada to win six MVP's & three titles.

It's not fair to judge a guy by one season (Walsh went 2-14, Seifert went 1-15), but I think his legacy was, when things were going good, he was steady and didn't rock the boat, which is a good thing.

However, when things were going bad, they would get really, really bad. Um, horrific. I think the fact that the '84 & '85 Patriots, along with the '89 Steelers, were able to get on track and be good and competitive as the season wore on, speaks to his ability. He was a decent DC.

Desmond Howard later said that he thought the Pats got too arrogant after cutting the lead to 27-21. They had been avoiding kicking the ball long and deep all game except that one time. Like I said, I don't know if this was goof on the part of Adam Vinatieri or if the coaching staff told him to kick it that way. Either way it killed us and any momentum we had.
Desmond was deadly that year. To everyone, not just us.

I think Kraft himself learned from the mistakes he made dealing with Parcells and that helped him be a better owner and partner for BB today.

I think Kraft himself learned from the mistakes he made dealing with Parcells and that helped him be a better owner and partner for BB today.

Parcells viewed Kraft as a rich guy who didn't know anything about football. When a guy like Kraft starts telling the front office who to draft and who to trade for it becomes a problem for the HC/GM. I would have been upset too. So I don't blame BP for leaving. I'm sure BB would be pissed if Kraft meddled in football operations too. And so the failed owner-HC partnership with Parcells was a teaching moment for Kraft.

Both were 1-15 (Kotite after going 3-13 the year before).

Rod was okay. But, he was quiet. He was a central figure in the drama swirling around Foxborough in '84 when Meyer fired him, and Pat hired him back and replaced Ron with Raymond Berry, who at that time was working at a local sporting goods store.

Rod was DC for some very good defenses, especially in '85 & '86.

When Rod left after 1987 the Pats did not replace him with any defensive coordinator for 1988 or 1989 (Hi, BB).

After the strike year he went back to the Chiefs, and the next year was DC for the Steelers, still coached by Noll, who got pummeled 92-10 by the Browns and Bengals to start the year 0-2 - but recovered to make the playoffs, upset the Oilers and nearly upset the Broncos(who went on to get hammered by the 49ers in the Super Bowl 55-10) at Mile High, losing by one point. Bubby Brister, Louis Lipps.

It's clear Victor Kiam knew nothing about football, but Pat Sullivan bottomed out, too. The Rust hiring was horribly 'safe' and unambitious. And Pat apparently thought as little of Flutie as the fired Berry, letting Doug go, and then sit at home in Natick for six months until he went to Canada, and the Patriots had no quarterback for three years. They did pay Hugh Millen $1 million, three times what Doug made in Canada to win six MVP's & three titles.

It's not fair to judge a guy by one season (Walsh went 2-14, Seifert went 1-15), but I think his legacy was, when things were going good, he was steady and didn't rock the boat, which is a good thing.

However, when things were going bad, they would get really, really bad. Um, horrific. I think the fact that the '84 & '85 Patriots, along with the '89 Steelers, were able to get on track and be good and competitive as the season wore on, speaks to his ability. He was a decent DC.
There more to their stories though...

Kotite had much more hc experience than R²... His resume has a few winning seasons on it, while rust only has the 1-15...

Although as a hc/gm kotite was a dismal failure, evidenced by his days spent 8n the swamps of Jersey...

Neither were good as head coaches... Its like trying to pick between Hue Jackson and Rod Marinelli

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back