PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defining Playoff Moments Of The Four Dynasties

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSummerallofthe80s

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Returning Steelers troll here with actually something non-partisan to contribute.

The way I see it, Since the history of the Super Bowl, there have been several dynasties:

Arguably, the would be

1970s Pittsburgh
1980s San Francisco
1990s Dallas
2000s New England

I cannot think of a play for Dallas right now but if somebody has one, please submit it. But it seems like there was one fortunate play in the playoffs that propelled the above dynasty teams. Because until the play happened, it appeared they were heading for a loss in that game.

In the case of Pittsburgh, it was the Franco Harris immaculate recption. For San Francisco, it would have been the TD pass from Montana to Clark. For New Enlgand, the "tuck" ruling.

My questions are, do any of you agree with this assessment based on the criteria of defining playoff play prior to a first Super Bowl that was the start of becoming a dynasty. And secondly, what would be the playoff play for the Cowboys of the 90s, if any?

Good luck today against JAX!

The Tuck rule?!? Not a chance in he!!.

It was the Vinatieri FG in the snow.

rookBoston said:

Good choice, the other plays cited by summer were offensive plays made to propel the team onward - and there's nothing like a blind kick in those conditions to create momentum. The "Tuck Rule" was a referee's judgement. Interesting concept summer, good job.

:trolls: Well, maybe a brat since their on today's menu, but just one.

rookBoston said:

No question, that very few kickers would have made the field goal like Viniteri (clutch to say the least). You guys would know better than me, but while the tuck play was under review, you had to be nervous thinking that if the call doesn't go New England's way, no playoff run that year. At least the field goal was makeable. Difficult yes. For the record, I was not using tuck play over a clutch field goal to steal thunder. Just thinking about the moment and how the tuck ruling gave NE fans a feeling of new life.

PATSummerallofthe80s said:
No question, that very few kickers would have made the field goal like Viniteri (clutch to say the least). You guys would know better than me, but while the tuck play was under review, you had to be nervous thinking that if the call doesn't go New England's way, no playoff run that year. At least the field goal was makeable. Difficult yes. For the record, I was not using tuck play over a clutch field goal to steal thunder. Just thinking about the moment and how the tuck ruling gave NE fans a feeling of new life.
You presume there was a feeling of new life, as opposed to a feeling of satisfaction that this time the officials got it right. The FG was the point of the game where the Raiders' lead was neutralized by the Patriots' efforts over the Raider defense. Which is the parallel to the examples you cited for the Steelers and Forty Niners. I'm also sure people did not have a high degree of confidence in a 45 yd FG under those conditions, which makes it the defining moment of a team overcoming the opposition and nature.

rookBoston said:

gotta go with the Mo Lewis hit

rookBoston said:

As I read the original post I thought the exact same thing. An official ruling is not even a play. And at least it was the correct call. Unlike Kordell Stewart in the 1995 AFC Championship Game vs. Indianapolis Colts. Replay showed that Stewart had stepped out of bounds in the back of the endzone, and then had come back in to make the catch. But, there was no flag and the TD stood.

Snowbowl_5.gif

Last edited:
Nice effort PatSummerallofthe80s, and I have another point in common we can all enjoy.

I think the Coors commercial that runs footage of the dynasties up through the present (you left out Green Bay), is way cool. It feels so good to see my Pats be in the commercial because they belong...they have earned their way into NFL immortality...as did your 70s Steelers.

It is so good to be part of an elite fraternity.

Michael said:
As I read the original post I thought the exact same thing. An official ruling is not even a play. And at least it was the correct call. Unlike Kordell Stewart in the 1995 AFC Championship Game vs. Indianapolis Colts. Replay showed that Stewart had stepped out of bounds in the back of the endzone, and then had come back in to make the catch. But, there was no flag and the TD stood.

I hear that.

That play was emblematic of everything the Pats were in 2001. They were not nearly as talented that year as they have been in recent years. But the distinguishing characteristic is that they always made the play when it counted-- often at the last possible moment. And, to me, that is entirely represented in the image of Vinatieri kicking a frozen solid football for a must-have FG into the dark, snowy sky.

Not only was it a turning point for the game, but it's one of those plays that any football fan remembers with just the words "The kick in the snow".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes