PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defensive Stats Pre/Post Collins Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrone

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Here are the pro football reference stats before and after the Collins trade. The opponents offensive simple scoring (OSRS) stat to represent the opponents general offensive standing (0 being average). It's not a perfect stat, but its a good indicator. Interestingly, while the defensive stats improved, they were also facing much weaker opponents. My take is that the Collins trade likely had a small effect on the team, but not as great an affect as it appears to the naked eye. Merely facing the 2 worst offenses 3 times in 7 games (Jets and Rams) made a difference in the second half of the season.

Collins_pre_post_stats.png

TL/DR - Nerd alert, Stats are fun, Collins trade not as big a factor as it seemed.

Last edited:
Good stuff.

Tough to judge given other variables that directly or indirectly affect the defense such as the loss of Gronk or Jacoby playing with a screwed up thumb which led to possibly less TOP for the offense and more snaps for the Defense.

Other factors are that defensive takeaways are way up after the Collins trade which could be a sign of better communication or just better luck.

The Ravens game was a much needed benchmark and the team as a whole, save for a couple of ST blunders, dominated that game and did it with an attitude . The following game in Denver solidified that.

The last few weeks the Pats haven't just beaten teams they have overwhelmed them. The Ravens and Broncos were fighting for their playoff lives and it was clear they were far out matched. The jets and Broncos losses led to locker room spats and fan bases calling for the firings of head coaches, GM's and QB's.

I'm not sure what effect the Collins trade had but what we've seen over the last month has been impressive regardless of the opponents statistical ranking.

Yes, count me in the group that was very concerned but things are looking good. My biggest concern was with their early season philosphy of not being aggressive and making sure they weren't giving up 'the big play'. They would ultimately wait for the offense to make a mistake and result in a FG opportunity instead of TD.

I'm glad they've changed it up a bit in which they've gotten QB pressure to help force some 3 and outs (as opposed to giving up long drives). I figured they needed to blitz more but they've been able to get more pressure based on scheme alone. I like what I see.

Communication has certainly improved plus some of our guys have cat-like quickness.

Good stuff, thanks for posting. Post Collins, defensive personnel were still in flux. The recent games, Baltimore, Denver and New York have shown their dominance. Hopefully it isn't an anomoly, and will hold true for the last 4 games of the season.

Last edited:
collins was so lost on that play

Sutton used a run blitz with the Mike or Sam on occasion in the second half. Pretty effective in disrupting his "patience." Made Bell pick a "hole" a lot sooner than he wanted.

collins was so lost on that play

Collins is an impressive athlete, but looking back, he sure looks like he's doing his own thing out there a lot.

its history repeating.......last year, the defense suffered big time with hightower out

not so much with collins out

I pretty much don't care one way or the other about how the defense looked post Collins compared to before. What I care a lot about is that it appears as if there are fewer communication issues and the unit seems to be working as "one fist". As BB always says.. dependability and consistency over ability..

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back