PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defense needs complete overhaul

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think our only problem is no pressure from the outside linebackers, I mean the corners are no worse or better than usual its just that qb's have all day to make throws against us

I hear you. Frankly that 6-4 could easily be 8-2. To be 6-4 without Brady, Harrison, Maroney, Morris/Jordan at times, and now AD...I mean, come on, what do people want. The fact is, there's still time to improve, our QB has proven he can lead this offense well enough for us to contend, if the D shores up and gets healthy, then we'll have about as good a chance as anybody come playoff time.

I think the bolded part is the key. The Chicken Littles see 2 games that could have been won but weren't as some proof that the team sucks. Those of us who had a more realistic take on this team from the beginning see 2 games that could have been won as a sign that the team is still playing competitive football despite all the hardships of the season.

The reality is that, if you take out the Miami game, pretty much everything has gone according to what should have been expected once Brady went down.

Without Brady, the team has lost to

Colts
Chargers
Jets
Dolphins

I think if most people are honest with themselves, they'll say that a split with NY and losses to Indy and S.D. should have been expected to happen the very second that Brady was lost for the season. Frankly, looking at the schedule, the Patriots should also lose to the Steelers and 1-2 of the last 4 games. If they can salvage the split with Miami and take 3 of the last 4 (Sea, Oak, Ari, Buf), that would make them 10-6 and have them in pretty good position to make the playoffs, although I fear that the Colts loss will come back to haunt this team.

I thought, for the most part, they played well last night.

Well, when you've got a young secondary that's always getting injured, you can't get any real consistency. The unit lost its heart when Rodney went down, the team decided on puppies instead of veterans during camp, Wheatley went down just as he'd taken the starter's job, and Wilhite has had more ups and downs than a roller coaster.

This was going to be a year that saw the offense protecting the defense as the transition to younger players continued. The moment Brady went down, the entire structure of the season was lost. What's happening on message boards like this one is that a lot of people don't seem to be able to accept that perfection is unachievable. This team is 6-4 without Brady, and with seemingly half the defense in a M*A*S*H unit, and these people can't accept that 6-4 is actually a pretty good record under the circumstances.

I'd suggest to them that they go back an look at what was being said after the preseason, and after the Brady injury first happened.

Agreed, but you can also say that if a few breaks went our way, we could be 8-2. That's why people might be going overboard.

As far as our defense is concerned, I think we have the horses to be one of the top ones this year. We are already good, but we need to get off on 3rd downs. In the past, our defense was one of the best 3rd down teams. We'd get creative and apply pressure in different ways without sacrificing coverage with movements and different zones. Kinda what the Giants are doing now. Somehow, we lack that creativity right now.

We really should break this all down for people who are too knee jerk to be rational.....

NT: Wilfork, considered to be one of the 3 best in the game
DE: Seymour, multiple pro bowler who's not even 30
DE: Warren, solid near pro bowl player, under 30
OLB: Thomas, clearly still an excellent player
OLB: Vrabel, some are questioning him
ILB: Mayo, ROTY candidate
ILB: Bruschi, clearly in decline
CB1: Hobbs, nowhere near old, and playing well
CB2: Wheatley, rookie had taken the starter's job before injury
S1: Meriweather, second year player who's vastly improved
S2: Sanders, young player who's very heady, misses angles
ILB: Guyton, rookie getting considerable time and playing well
OLB: Woods, young player doing well in reserve role

Add that up and there are a grand total of TWO starting positions where age is/may be an issue. In Bruschi's case, the team clearly has a player who can step in for him on at least 2 of the 3 downs. In Vrabel's case, the jury is out. However, it's pretty clear to anyone who actually breaks down the roster that there's not any need for an 'overhaul'.

Sadly, there are those who feel a need to prop up the sky.

We need a cover corner next year (read non-smurf) and a safety to play along side Merriweather. I think the young LB's are starting to get it. Next year they should be seasoned. Vrabel and Teddy are slowing down. It happens. A past rushing DE in the form of a Jason Taylor type would make this "D" pretty stout and younger than most. A hard hitting safety who can cover like a Brian Dawkins type would work well. Whats the status of Cardinal Adrian Wilson? Sanders will not be missed. He was ugly again last night.
DW Toys

We need a cover corner next year (read non-smurf) and a safety to play along side Merriweather. I think the young LB's are starting to get it. Next year they should be seasoned. Vrabel and Teddy are slowing down. It happens. A past rushing DE in the form of a Jason Taylor type would make this "D" pretty stout and younger than most. A hard hitting safety who can cover like a Brian Dawkins type would work well. Whats the status of Cardinal Adrian Wilson? Sanders will not be missed. He was ugly again last night.
DW Toys

Seriously, what the hell did Sanders do to you that makes you single him out in almost every post you make?

warren and thomas were on the field against the colts, the chargers, the dolphins, the eagles last year, the ravens last year, the giants last year, if you dont see that teams march up and down the field on them , and that they put absolutely no pressure on the qb, then i suggest you remone your rose colored glasses and call a spade a spade, hell they almost lost to kc at the end of the game , they marched on them

Ummm... Last year was last year. The Pats didn't have Mayo, Guyton, Wheatley, or Whilhite. They will most likely have other high draft picks added this next offseason, possibly a few impact free agents.

As for this year, the defense is improving with a lot of young players stepping into starting roles. It is a work in progress. I'm sorry I am not a faux fan like you who only appears on this board to complain about things and disappears when things are going well.

That, I agree with. However with all the young guys on the field I think the overhaul you're asking for is underway. The LB crew is suddenly looking young and athletic :eek:, we're a player or two from the same in the secondary. Getting Vince and Seymour re-signed may be the biggest issue.

It's too bad that the overhaul did not begin a couple of years ago.

With a lot of draft choices in 2009, several more holes should be filled.

Last edited:
defense cant stop any one, its time for scheme changes, how about a attacking pressure type d, vrabel needs to go , bruschi needs to go, we need someone who can cover a tight end, the secondary needs a complete overhaul, merriweather kept as a starter, sanders can be a #3 safety, both corners need upgrades, when the game is on the line they have proven they cant make the stop., give capers the coordinator post, pees hasnt gotten the job done, it time to make some big moves and shake this pathetic group up

I respectfully disagree, because of the following:

The defense is without it's sack leader/playing time leader A. Thomas. His backup, Crable is out for the year. They are without their field general Rodney Harrison. They were expecting to get valuable playing time from high draft pick CB Wheatley, and free agent acquisition L. Sanders, and THEY are both out injured as well. Not to mention, that out of nowhere, Ty Warren missed the game due to injury.

All I'm saying is I hardly think it's fair now to say, completely overhaul the defense.

To me, the glass is half full. They have a young exciting 2nd year player in Meriweather. They seem to have two potential stud rookie LBs in Mayo and Guyton. Thomas was having a monster year, and will be back. Ty Warren shouldn't even be out that long, and both aforementioned CBs should also be back, for depth purposes. Crable has a year of learning under his belt, and will likewise be back, next year. EDIT: I forgot to mention another rookie CB with potential, Willhite could be in the mix, as time moves on.

It's hard for me to throw the team under the bus, when they're being held together with tape and bandaids. Let's be fair here.

Last edited:
Last night The Patriots third down Defense was horrible.The Numbers do not lie. This is the reason that We lost last night.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back