PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS TRAINING CAMP Day 3 and 4 Training Camp Thread-Friday July 30th & Sat 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.
Butler wasn't changing the collective of that game but don't tell me the guy that's been involved in some of the biggest moments in NFL history couldn't have made a few plays to shift the balance in a close game. Not to mention the trickle down effect of the secondary. Players heads in the biggest game of the season.

I'm sorry but pretending that wasn't a big deal or Butler playing wouldn't have made a few plays is bonkers.
Butler was also great at wrapping people up and limiting YAC. If we had made one 3rd down stop where the eagles caught the ball behind the 1st down marker, it would have been game, but the entire secondary forgot how to wrap up and tackle that game. I just watched 3rd down after 3rd down where our guys were in position to make the stop and they acted like they were chasing greased up you can't catch me guy.

Butler would have made at least one of those tackles.

At least with Carroll, there was a level of logic behind his decision, it was just operating under the wrong circumstances. Butler had to make a HELL of a play, Browner had to jam HARD, and the Patriots had to have run that play endlessly in practice for the stars to align. I will never understand Bill's decision with Butler, and the stubbornness that fueled it.
If you watch 3 games to glory they only ran it like 3 or 4 times and Butler got burned on it

If you watch 3 games to glory they only ran it like 3 or 4 times and Butler got burned on it

Yeah, I may have embellished a bit, I'll admit that haha.

You can read all about Malcolm's admission if you google, "Malcolm Butler Admits"
I think almost everyone has read that RW. Not breaking news. He also said they gave up on him. He had a bad week and was trying to take responsibility. Hardly a stunning omission.
Well there had to be a reason. Playing all season and being unprepared to play after arriving late and admitting he wasn’t focussed in practice aren’t mutually exclusive.
We don’t know the facts but obviously something happened.
He arrived late and had a bad week. I don't think any of us can say he was unprepared. He showed up late bc he was supposedly not feeling well/sick. I think it was reported he went to concert that week. Again maybe not his best week but players are used to staying out all night, partying and playing literally all the time. Playing hurt, physically, mentally. They play through family/friend tragedy we don't know about all the time.

I don't think this was the first time this happened. And think that had a lot to do with the decision not to play him.
Maybe I missed something, but the mystery to me is, if he wasn't ready to play, why waste a gameday roster spot on him?
I'll never get it. Bill could have prepared the team a lot more. Clearly both teams were surprised by it. This didn't just mess with Butler. The trickle down effect was real.
Butler was also great at wrapping people up and limiting YAC. If we had made one 3rd down stop where the eagles caught the ball behind the 1st down marker, it would have been game, but the entire secondary forgot how to wrap up and tackle that game. I just watched 3rd down after 3rd down where our guys were in position to make the stop and they acted like they were chasing greased up you can't catch me guy.

Butler would have made at least one of those tackles.
This is why the "Butler was unprepared" argument is nonsense. Taking him out of the offense last minute wasn't "preparing" the team any more. That wasn't exactly business as usual game day.
Just about to say the same. Wanted to get all these post in one reply even the thread is off the rails.

It's Sunday night and 2 camp days in one thread. We can start a new one tomorrow. Pads Tuesday I believe!

I think almost everyone has read that RW. Not breaking news. He also said they gave up on him. He had a bad week and was trying to take responsibility. Hardly a stunning omission.

He arrived late and had a bad week. I don't think any of us can say he was unprepared. He showed up late bc he was supposedly not feeling well/sick. I think it was reported he went to concert that week. Again maybe not his best week but players are used to staying out all night, partying and playing literally all the time. Playing hurt, physically, mentally. They play through family/friend tragedy we don't know about all the time.

I don't think this was the first time this happened. And think that had a lot to do with the decision not to play him.

I'll never get it. Bill could have prepared the team a lot more. Clearly both teams were surprised by it. This didn't just mess with Butler. The trickle down effect was real.

This is why the "Butler was unprepared" argument is nonsense. Taking him out of the offense last minute wasn't "preparing" the team any more. That wasn't exactly business as usual game day.

Just about to say the same. Wanted to get all these post in one reply even the thread is off the rails.

It's Sunday night and 2 camp days in one thread. We can start a new one tomorrow. Pads Tuesday I believe!
It's pretty easy to piece it together if you want to.

He had the flu. He arrived late. He was running with the 2nd and 3rd stringers all week. It was no secret to DMC and Rowe he wasn't starting. Maybe he did have a meltdown. Maybe he did nothing wrong. Maybe they intended to play him but he admitted to Bill and others he was not dialed into the game. It was too late to deactivate him.

He took responsibility and Bill held him responsible. That's it.

It wasn't Malcolm's week. It wasn't Bill's week. **** happens.

He had the flu. He arrived late. He was running with the 2nd and 3rd stringers all week. It was no secret to DMC and Rowe he wasn't starting. Maybe he did have a meltdown. Maybe he did nothing wrong. Maybe they intended to play him but he admitted to Bill and others he was not dialed into the game. It was too late to deactivate him.

My feeling always was that for all those reasons he was demoted to cb3 in a gameplay that didn’t use cb3 a lot and found out on the field in warmups and melted down (crying during the anthem leads me to believe something happened right then) and the coaching staff decided to sit him but needed him active in the event of an injury because we were short on corners.
Of course anything anyone says is speculation.

He took responsibility and Bill held him responsible. That's it.

Oswald was the only shooter and Belichick chose making a point over giving the team the best chance of winning a Super Bowl. The rest is just noise.

It's sad bc people actually believe this.

*edit*
I really hope this was sarcasm RW. The guy played like 98% of the snaps that year. Was involved in some of the biggest plays in NFL history. I think he could have managed.
What biggest plays in NFL history besides the interception that Browner was at least as much responsible for? Genuinely curious because while he was a good player, I don't remember any 'biggest plays in NFL history' besides the one.

What biggest plays in NFL history besides the interception that Browner was at least as much responsible for? Genuinely curious because while he was a good player, I don't remember any 'biggest plays in NFL history' besides the one.
I definitely could have worded that better.

Should have stopped or just said arguably the biggest play in SB history. You're correct there.

That said Butler not only covered but made big plays (INT/ODB Punch out) against the best WR's in the game. Was definitely on the other end of some big plays but Butler came back from the Kearse catch. Played in the Atl game and a bunch of other big games.

Again I could have worded that better. I was just trying to say he's made some really big plays, was involved in some big games for us.

Bademosi and Richards were better? We watched the game. Benching him was one thing, to stay with Bademosi and Richards was absurd.

The Pats lost because Butler was benched, causing 4 teammates to play out of position with little notice. The Eagles never punted once all game....

My feeling always was that for all those reasons he was demoted to cb3 in a gameplay that didn’t use cb3 a lot and found out on the field in warmups and melted down (crying during the anthem leads me to believe something happened right then) and the coaching staff decided to sit him but needed him active in the event of an injury because we were short on corners.

Ironic as I distinctly remember immediate inappropriate speculation day of the superbowl thread from ajohnson immediately spouting total lies and BS about Butler being on drugs. Dozens of pages of garbage rumors from the poster.

You know who passed the mental readiness test, practiced well, with the team, had full health, stayed out of trouble, and fit perfectly into the gameplan?

Jordan Richards and Jonathan Bademosi.

So…Bill wins…or something?

You know, maybe the expectation he put on himself got to be to much as well. I mean game winning play in a SB, some guys have trouble with the bar they set after something like that

The issue has always been Bill’s unfathomable stubbornness. Maybe Butler wasn’t 100%. Maybe Bill was upset due to something.

It was Butler’s last game as a Patriot, either way, his contract was up. “Disciplining” him does nothing. Not giving the team the best chance to win, was something that Brady, Gronk, Amendola and likely other players never got over.

Once we were in the middle of the third quarter and it became obvious to anyone with one working eye and 5 brain cells, that the defense was helpless and the players on the field are not cutting it, there was absolutely no excuse of not giving Butler a chance. None. There are hundreds of people who had dedicated an entire year to be in a prime position to win the SB and Bill did not give them the best chance to win the game. Brady became disillusioned after that game and the success of the next season only temporary stopped the bleeding. I don’t think the trust was ever fully there after it.

Oswald was the only shooter and Belichick chose making a point over giving the team the best chance of winning a Super Bowl. The rest is just noise.
Nonsense. Can't play a player who isn't ready in the most important game of the year.

The Pats lost because Butler was benched, causing 4 teammates to play out of position with little notice. The Eagles never punted once all game....
Where was the mystery secondary that was practiced for the game all week? Malcom was practicing with the 2's and 3's.

Ironic as I distinctly remember immediate inappropriate speculation day of the superbowl thread from ajohnson immediately spouting total lies and BS about Butler being on drugs. Dozens of pages of garbage rumors from the poster.
Your memory is bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing