PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dave Thomas and I aint talkin Wendys..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thomas is by far the most skilled receiver among the tight ends. He's bettter at getting open, has better hands, and is better at running after the catch than either Watson or Graham. It was just a matter of time before he had a breakout game like this one - his skills were obvious if you saw his highlight reel at Texas.

Graham and Watson are faster getting down the field, have more power at breaking tackles, and of course Graham has the best blocking skills.

It's a great 3-man rotation, and that's the way BB would love it to remain. If there's 50 offensive plays in a game, there's 1 tight end in there for almost all of those, plus say 10 plays where there's two, so that's 60 TE plays in total. That's 20 each, assuming they're all healthy and playing.

Thomas is by far the most skilled receiver among the tight ends. He's bettter at getting open, has better hands, and is better at running after the catch than either Watson or Graham. It was just a matter of time before he had a breakout game like this one - his skills were obvious if you saw his highlight reel at Texas.

Graham and Watson are faster getting down the field, have more power at breaking tackles, and of course Graham has the best blocking skills.

It's a great 3-man rotation, and that's the way BB would love it to remain. If there's 50 offensive plays in a game, there's 1 tight end in there for almost all of those, plus say 10 plays where there's two, so that's 60 TE plays in total. That's 20 each, assuming they're all healthy and playing.

Give me a break. He had one good game. How the heck can to rush to that judgment? He is a rookie who had a great game. Now what you claim may have a chance at being true, but this is way too early. Please try to be reasonable.

I gotta admit that I haven't paid enough attention to the kid. One helluva performance!

Hey he was Vince Young's favorite target versus USC.

Let Graham walk. two first round picks. If Zach Miller from ASU falls. BB& SP will pick him up.

just my 2 cents.

Give me a break. He had one good game. How the heck can to rush to that judgment? He is a rookie who had a great game. Now what you claim may have a chance at being true, but this is way too early. Please try to be reasonable.

I think the Thomas love-fest is more about how Watson and Graham have not developed fundamentals in the passing game. We have had 5 years of Graham and 2 years of Watson to see this. Fans are demanding of first round picks.

I think the Thomas love-fest is more about how Watson and Graham have not developed fundamentals in the passing game. We have had 5 years of Graham and 2 years of Watson to see this. Fans are demanding of first round picks.

Just because graham does not fit the fans thrilling idea of a WR/TE does not mean he has not produced. He has been more injured than we like, but this guy is one of the top blocking TEs in football. The Pats will make him a fair offer, but that doesn't Thomas can replace him.

Just because graham does not fit the fans thrilling idea of a WR/TE does not mean he has not produced. He has been more injured than we like, but this guy is one of the top blocking TEs in football. The Pats will make him a fair offer, but that doesn't Thomas can replace him.

I agree, I love Graham's blocking. I'll never forget what he did in Super Bowl 38 to Julius Peppers.

Thomas probably will not be able to replace him in the running game but someone like Kyle Brady or Jason Dunn would. A top blocking TE is just not worth a first round pick or big money.

He did well Sunday, but let's put away the anointing oil (as Parcells would say). Running after the catch? These guys aren't RBs. YAC for a TE means breaking tackles. Let's wait until he's catching balls with a LB and a safety hitting him full speed at the time. And before we drop him for Graham, as others (not you) are suggesting, let's see him help out with Freeney and Taylor and the other 260-290 lb speed rushers.

Who would hate to lose Graham, let me see. Brady, Light, Kaczur, Neal, for starters. Can Thomas take a screen pass and drag 3 tacklers for a first down, like Graham? Can Thomas shake two LBs and outrun a CB and a safety on his way to the endzone, like Watson. Have we already forgotten the highlight reel plays of our starting TEs? He's on one highlight reel. Watson and Graham have been on a dozen.

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE Thomas, but puhleeze. Let the man play a few games.

Let's wait until he's catching balls with a LB and a safety hitting him full speed at the time.
I forget which game it was, but he's already proven he can take an over the middle assassination shot and hold onto the ball to make the first down. Tommy threw a dart between defenders, Thomas snagged it and was crunched. The kid is good and developing nicely, as long as the Pats have a competitive offer for Graham, they stand a good chance of having a three-headed monster at TE.

I'll reiterate: Thomas is better at getting open, has better hands, and runs better after the catch than either of our other TE's. I love Watson and Graham, but it's the plain truth. He's going to be an impact player in this league.

I forget which game it was, but he's already proven he can take an over the middle assassination shot and hold onto the ball to make the first down. Tommy threw a dart between defenders, Thomas snagged it and was crunched. The kid is good and developing nicely, as long as the Pats have a competitive offer for Graham, they stand a good chance of having a three-headed monster at TE.[/QUOT

Agree 100% - Sign up Dan Graham and our TE situation is absolutely outstanding for years to come.

Come on DG, take the offer, make the deal, you KNOW you want to stay here with your teammates and favorite QB. Don't make the mistake the Deion made - if you read his comments over the weekend, his heart is still in New England. Sure, he has his money - but, there is no doubt, he misses NE.

I'll reiterate: Thomas is better at getting open, has better hands, and runs better after the catch than either of our other TE's. I love Watson and Graham, but it's the plain truth. He's going to be an impact player in this league.

You can reiterate all you want but right now there is no proof or fact that this is so. If you would like to claim that it is your opinion than fine, but making the claim as fact is just garbage.

Check out this thread on kffl from last April to see some video of Thomas:

http://www.kffl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169663&highlight=dave+thomas

there were graham and watson vids as well. college vids mean nothing. nfl play week after week is what reveals a player. watson was a monter when at goergia as well. he never demonstrated poor hands. the problem with watson is technique. it can be corrected and coached.

again you may be correct, but there is no proof. a college video doesnt mean a thing. i could provide with hundred of vids from college players who seem amazing, but have flopped in the nfl.

Alright let me say one thing. Let's not confuse the issue by talking about whether Graham will be here next year or not. I know that Graham has his supporters on his board. But fact of the matter is that the Pats disciplined FO will spend what they have budgeted on the TE position and no more than that.

If Thomas threatens Graham's job security in the future, just take that as a GOOD sign because it means that he is playing well.

The Pats can use as many healthy good receivers as they can get now. I know it makes Tom Brady's life easier. In short the emergence of Thomas will be a good thing. I could care less about next year's roster at the moment.

And yes I think 1 good game is too soon to come to a judgment. I'd just say that it is very promising and leave it at that.

what you guys doing realize that digg is right....thomas may look like he's got potential by that really productive game but that doesn't mean that he's got better hands or is better at getting open....since he is a situational guy, he's not as heavily game planned against....thanks to sports analisys like espn saying guys like watson and graham are brady's go to guys/top receivers, opposing teams game plan to disrupt watson and graham as much as possible...

thats how watson became such a great receiver, teams game planned against graham/givens and branch moreso than watson, then watson was free to get open easily, its just the same case now...

thats where the phrase, the qb takes what the defense gives him.....brady see's watson and graham covered, so he takes it, and throws it to thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST