PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Danny Amendola - Cap Scenarios - Updated on March 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.
You forgot a link...

So, Miguel, am I right in now saying that the best scenario you present, money-wise for the Pats, would be to eat 4.8 million THIS year...

Which nets us a net savings of $5.35 Million over the next two years?

In which case, we could also say that Danny Amendola PLAYING for the Pats for the next two years costs us an average of $2.675 million/year?

Sorry to the Amendola detractors on this board and elsewhere, but I call that VALUE.

So, Miguel, am I right in now saying that the best scenario you present, money-wise for the Pats, would be to eat 4.8 million THIS year...

In which case, we could also say that Danny Amendola PLAYING for the Pats for the next two years costs us an average of $2.675 million/year?

Sorry to the Amendola detractors on this board and elsewhere, but I call that VALUE.

Amendola is only VALUE if he plays well and remains healthy. He wasn't VALUE last year, and he won't be VALUE this year if he repeats last year.

As I said in the other thread, you are not accounting for the $2M that becomes guaranteed on March 11, or his $375K roster bonus. Look at the actual contract details.

Miguel's UNOFFICIAL Patriots Salary Cap Footnotes and Documentation Page - Danny Amendola

Cash received by season (if on roster).

2014 – $3,375,000
2015 – $4,375,000
2016 – $5,375,000
2017 – $6,375,000

As I said in the other thread, you are not accounting for the $2M that becomes guaranteed on March 11, or his $375K roster bonus. Look at the actual contract details.

Miguel's UNOFFICIAL Patriots Salary Cap Footnotes and Documentation Page - Danny Amendola

2014 – $3,375,000
2015 – $4,375,000
2016 – $5,375,000
2017 – $6,375,000

Read the update...to designate him a June release, they have to carry him into the new season, which means they eat the 2 million.

His TOTAL cap hit per season, by the page you linked is 4.575 this year (2014) and 5.575 next year. Those numbers include the prorated bonus, the base salary and the $375k roster bonus (6th column on the chart).

Add them up (10.150), subtract the 4.8 total cap hit for this year if they cut him (5.35), and divide by two years for the average saving.

Right now, having seen all the I have, knowing the history, and looking at the current state of the Patriots, I would sign Danny Amendola for 2 years at $2.675 million/year, fully guaranteed.

This is of course in addition to the $4.8M which will be counted against the cap whether Amendola stays or not. Depending on when Amendola leaves, this balance can be spread over years or not.

The open question is whether Amendola is worth $3.375M of new money for his 2013 services plus a team option for later years.

As we all know, the team need to cut him by March 11th or add $2M to the unavoidable cap hit of $4.8M.

2014 – $3,375,000
2015 – $4,375,000
2016 – $5,375,000
2017 – $6,375,000

This is of course in addition to the $4.8M which will be counted against the cap whether Amendola stays or not. Depending on when Amendola leaves, this balance can be spread over years or not.

The open question is whether Amendola is worth $3.375M of new money for his 2013 services plus a team option for later years.

As we all know, the team need to cut him by March 11th or add $2M to the unavoidable cap hit of $4.8M.

Per the update:

Cut Danny Amendola before 4PM March 11

His 2014 cap number would then increase from $4.575m to $4.8 million – the rest of his signing bonus proration. Since a player with a $420,000 salary would then take his place in the Top 51 list, the Patriots would lose additional $645,000 in cap space.
- See more at: Patriots Salary Cap

As this is the tougher cap year, by far (particularly if the rumors about next year are true), I don't really see a gain there.

You don't see a gain in saving $5.575M in 2015 cap money?

There are lots of ways to structure contracts will a low first year hit and a much higher second year hit. $5.575M savings in 2915 and more going forward makes a big difference. For example, you could sign a new player for $6.5M AAV with a $3.645M 2014 additional hit and the same hit as Amendola thereafter. This is serious money.

Per the update:

Cut Danny Amendola before 4PM March 11

His 2014 cap number would then increase from $4.575m to $4.8 million – the rest of his signing bonus proration. Since a player with a $420,000 salary would then take his place in the Top 51 list, the Patriots would lose additional $645,000 in cap space.
- See more at: Patriots Salary Cap

As this is the tougher cap year, by far (particularly if the rumors about next year are true), I don't really see a gain there.

You don't see a gain in saving $5.575M in 2015 cap money?

There are lots of ways to structure contracts will a low first year hit and a much higher second year hit. $5.575M savings in 2915 and more going forward makes a big difference. For example, you could sign a new player for $6.5M AAV with a $3.645M 2014 additional hit and the same hit as Amendola thereafter. This is serious money.

Show me a better football player (who fits the Patriots' needs) than Danny Amendola for 2 years at $2.675 million/year, fully guaranteed, and I'm all ears.

Because THAT is what it costs the Patriots against the cap to keep him for 2014 and 2015.

Show me a better football player (who fits the Patriots' needs) than Danny Amendola for 2 years at $2.675 million/year, fully guaranteed, and I'm all ears.

Because THAT is what it costs the Patriots against the cap to keep him for 2014 and 2015.

You still are doing the math wrong. It is $3.375M and $4.375M which is $7.75M for an average of $3.875M for those seasons.

Considering every other WR we have under contract doesn't add up to $3.8M I do not consider Amendola to be a good value.

Yeah that money is sunk so essentially the question is do the Patriots want invest another $3.4 million into Amendola with the hope of recouping some return on their already $8 million investment. At the end of the day if he does not improve in 2014 then you are looking at $11.4 million for two seasons of mediocre production, or you can cut your losses at $8 million and accept one season of mediocre production for $8 million.

If we can retain Edelman I would cut my losses now, if we are unable to retain Edelman I would bring him back and hope for the best. That is where I am at personally.

You still are doing the math wrong. It is $3.375M and $4.375M which is $7.75M for an average of $3.875M for those seasons.

Considering every other WR we have under contract doesn't add up to $3.8M I do not consider Amendola to be a good value.

You keep saying this but Miguel's page doesn't show that.

The total cap hit on that page is 4.575 and 5.575, '14 and '15 respectively. TOTAL cap hit. As in, if DA plays for us, that's what we take against the CAP.

The TOTAL cap hit is 4.8, under the best possible money scenario, if he's cut.

The CAP savings if they cut or trade DA listed on that page for 2015 - go look, don't take my word for it - is 1.975 million, which is exactly what I calculated before I saw that spread sheet you linked.

Miguel, if you're about can you help us out here?

As to the rest, we'll agree to disagree. If Amendola was on another team right now, with the year he had last year, and the Pats could get him for that money, most people here would be all over it. There's very little out there in the way of WR that is the least bit interesting...and that won't be a lot more expensive.

If you've got a better choice in FA, let's hear it. If your idea is to use the second year trio and bring in another rookie and call it a day, then we'll agree to disagree.

If we cut Amendola, the cap hit is $4.8M.

If we don't cut Amendola, the cap hit is $4.575M+$5.575M = $10.150 plus game bonuses. Let's say he plays half the games. That will add $500K over 2 years. The total 2 year cost is $11.150M. And we'd still owe the unamortized balance of $2.4M after 2015.

So, the cost of keeping Amendola for 2 years is $13.550M less $4.8M = $8.750M. This amounts to $4.375M a year. Many think he's worth it. Many do not.
======

The savings are clear. We would save nothing this year (actually lose a bit) and almost $6M in 2015. After all, if he were cut this week, there would be ZERO 2015 costs. We would also save the $2.4M bonus that would have hit the cap in 2016 and 2017.

You keep saying this but Miguel's page doesn't show that.

The total cap hit on that page is 4.575 and 5.575, '14 and '15 respectively. TOTAL cap hit. As in, if DA plays for us, that's what we take against the CAP.

The TOTAL cap hit is 4.8, under the best possible money scenario, if he's cut.

The CAP savings if they cut or trade DA listed on that page for 2015 - go look, don't take my word for it - is 1.975 million, which is exactly what I calculated before I saw that spread sheet you linked.

Miguel, if you're about can you help us out here?

As to the rest, we'll agree to disagree. If Amendola was on another team right now, with the year he had last year, and the Pats could get him for that money, most people here would be all over it. There's very little out there in the way of WR that is the least bit interesting...and that won't be a lot more expensive.

If you've got a better choice in FA, let's hear it. If your idea is to use the second year trio and bring in another rookie and call it a day, then we'll agree to disagree.

So what are the cap savings for 2015 (if any) if we keep him this year and cut him NEXT offseason?

So what are the cap savings for 2015 (if any) if we keep him this year and cut him NEXT offseason?

We will take a $3.6 million cap hit if he is release after the 2014 season. That is the remaining prorated signing bonus.

Current 2015 cap number 5,575,000 minus
Proposed 2015 cap number - 3,600,000 minus
435,000 the salary of the player who will take his place in the Top 51 list
equals $1,540,000

Current 2015 cap number 5,575,000 minus
Proposed 2015 cap number - 3,600,000 minus
435,000 the salary of the player who will take his place in the Top 51 list
equals $1,540,000

So essentially, cutting him this year results in greater cap relief in 2015 than cutting him next offseason would, even though it results in no real savings for this season?

Now that is an absurd argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick