Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will DannY Amendola be playing for the Patriots next year?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your opinion seems to be that salary cap implications are irrelevant to Bleichick's decision whether to keep a player or not.

I have nothing to say other than you apparently have little understanding of the workings of cap and of contracts in the NFL.

So you think that Belichick keeps players on this roster simply because they have a high cap figure? I do not, I think he considers the cap when signing players but I do not think he will carry a player simply because the player has a high cap hit.

You know I have been a member in here for a while and the only time I ever have issues is when I talk about Danny Amendola and it is with the same group of posters every single time. I don’t understand the issue you think highly of Danny Amendola and I think he was a poor signing who is grossly overpaid. That’s it cut and dry lets agree to disagree on this subject and ultimately Bill Belichick makes the decision not us so there is no point in us beating each other in threads over something we don’t actually get to decide anyway.

Could someone please give me the instructions of how to put someone on ignore? I think I have never done it or it was very long ago when I did, and I do not know the procedure.

CHOICES WITH REGARD TO NEXT YEAR

1) Pay Amendola $1M of new money plus bonuses (basically vet minimum).

2) Cut Amendola and have a $2M rise in the cap. Someone else would need to be cut or not signed to make up for this money.
========

This is not about Edelman or Amendola unless anyone thinks that Edelman will play for $1M next year and that is the choice Belichick will be making for his 4th or 5th receiver.

The open question is whether Amendola is worth having on the team at vet minimum money. If he isn't then the team would find a way to absorb the extra cap hit. However, there is almost no way that Amendola would not be worth having on the squad as our #5 receiver. We are talking about JAG pay.
========================

Could someone please give me the instructions of how to put someone on ignore? I think I have never done it or it was very long ago when I did, and I do not know the procedure.

Click on the persons avatar and then click on the add to ignore which is on User Lists drop down and follow the prompts.

Some comments on the comment:

1. I first clicked on the thread late just to see why there were 7 pages of post on a rather innocuous mid week, and I'm bored thread. Believe me it was painful to go through for all the obvious reasons.

2. Going back to the OP, I think once again we are in "knee jerk" mode. Amendola is bum, Edelman is a top WR and that opinion will last until the next game and no longer. :rolleyes:

3. As to Amendola. Does anyone remember that we won the first Buffalo game almost exclusively because of his courageous play? I guess not. But, hat was a few years ago and clearly doesn't count. :rolleyes:

4. Its a mistake to compare Edelman and Amendola and think they are the same guy. They are 2 different kinds of receivers with more than subtle differences in their skill sets. Its NOT going to ever be about keeping one or the other.

5. The other thing is that people constantly are looking for some to "replace Wes Welker's product"ion. Well its time to finally get the picture. I don't think BB is interested in "replacing Welker's production. That would mean the Brady had become TOO comfortable trowing to one receiver at the expense of the total offense. Sure we want Amendola to play the slot. We want him to run the "Welker routes" and more. BUT if he is on track for 120 catches and 1200 yd, then the offense as whole will NOT be on track. We will NOT be spreading the ball around. We will NOT be attacking the deep zones effectively We will NOT be running the ball enough. That's good enough in the regular season, but not good enough in the crucible of the playoffs. At this point good defenses had started to catch up with our offense, especially the one that had relied on Wes so much.

6. One of the key elements of bringing in a new slot receiver was to have him do all the Welker same things, but not HAVE to.

7. Up to this year, the most productive rookie WR in the BB era has been Deon Branch who had 43 catches and 489 yds This year we are going to have TWO rookie WR's that are gong to SHATTER that record. Dobson already has over 490 yds and Thompkins already has 450. Both will go over 50 catches and 600 yds IMHO barring a major injury.

The point is that these are the 2 best rookie WR's the Pats have had in this era and we need to develop them to their potential. That was not going to happen if Brady targeted it to Welker every time he felt uncomfortable

8. Amendola's start hasn't been what we'd hoped, but the Buffalo game gives us hope that we will eventually see that kind of play long after Wes has started to deteriorate. PLUS, and it bears repeating, we don't really WANT another Wes Welker. The offense has moved on from that time and hopefully will become a more balanced, varied, and thus more difficult to defend attack than it had become by the end of 2012.

1. I first clicked on the thread late just to see why there were 7 pages of post on a rather innocuous mid week, and I'm bored thread. Believe me it was painful to go through for all the obvious reasons.

2. Going back to the OP, I think once again we are in "knee jerk" mode. Amendola is bum, Edelman is a top WR and that opinion will last until the next game and no longer. :rolleyes:

3. As to Amendola. Does anyone remember that we won the first Buffalo game almost exclusively because of his courageous play? I guess not. But, hat was a few years ago and clearly doesn't count. :rolleyes:

4. Its a mistake to compare Edelman and Amendola and think they are the same guy. They are 2 different kinds of receivers with more than subtle differences in their skill sets. Its NOT going to ever be about keeping one or the other.

5. The other thing is that people constantly are looking for some to "replace Wes Welker's product"ion. Well its time to finally get the picture. I don't think BB is interested in "replacing Welker's production. That would mean the Brady had become TOO comfortable trowing to one receiver at the expense of the total offense. Sure we want Amendola to play the slot. We want him to run the "Welker routes" and more. BUT if he is on track for 120 catches and 1200 yd, then the offense as whole will NOT be on track. We will NOT be spreading the ball around. We will NOT be attacking the deep zones effectively We will NOT be running the ball enough. That's good enough in the regular season, but not good enough in the crucible of the playoffs. At this point good defenses had started to catch up with our offense, especially the one that had relied on Wes so much.

6. One of the key elements of bringing in a new slot receiver was to have him do all the Welker same things, but not HAVE to.

7. Up to this year, the most productive rookie WR in the BB era has been Deon Branch who had 43 catches and 489 yds This year we are going to have TWO rookie WR's that are gong to SHATTER that record. Dobson already has over 490 yds and Thompkins already has 450. Both will go over 50 catches and 600 yds IMHO barring a major injury.

The point is that these are the 2 best rookie WR's the Pats have had in this era and we need to develop them to their potential. That was not going to happen if Brady targeted it to Welker every time he felt uncomfortable

8. Amendola's start hasn't been what we'd hoped, but the Buffalo game gives us hope that we will eventually see that kind of play long after Wes has started to deteriorate. PLUS, and it bears repeating, we don't really WANT another Wes Welker. The offense has moved on from that time and hopefully will become a more balanced, varied, and thus more difficult to defend attack than it had become by the end of 2012.

Good points, the best of which is that while fans think building a team is about replacing players and keeping the roles the same, that is so far from true.
I don't think it has anything to do with how much Welker saw the ball though. He saw it because it was the best scheme for that group of players. BB did not single out the most effective part of the offense and decide to quit doing it.
Rather, he assembled the next seasons group, gathering as much talent as he could and schemed it to fit together.

Edelman scored two touchdowns in the Bills game, Amendola scored zero. I associate points scored with helping the team win, I am not diminishing the first downs that Amendola was able to get us or his toughness for playing through the game but I do not think he exclusively won that game for us not even close actually. Edelman and Shane Vereen had tremendous afternoons in week one.

When Amendola came in everyone was preaching how he was better than Welker because he could play outside more, now everyone is preaching that Amendola and Edelman are two different players and using the Edelman can play outside and Amendola is exclusively a slot receiver justification to support it. They’re very similar players and everyone knows it, Edelman can flank out to Y position and Amendola can too but that is not their ideal position they both play best from the Z. Amendola and Edelman are probably more similar to each other than either of them are similar with Wes Welker so this assertion makes zero sense to me whatsoever.

2011 offense – 32.1 PPG
2012 offense – 34.8 PPG
2013 offense – 26.2 PPG

I am OK with our offense being off track again :D

I don’t know what you’re trying to say? :confused:

That doesn’t really have anything to do with Welker being gone, last season Welker saw an average of 10.875 targets per game and 174 targets this season Amendola and Edelman have been targeted a combined 139 times and 12.63 targets per game. Some of those are as a result of playing together on the field of course but our use of the slot receiver is not down YOY.

10 receptions for 104 receiving yards and 0 touchdowns is a great game for Danny Amendola and if he did that every week I’d be thrilled, but would that performance have even made the highlight if it was Wes Welker?

I think they overpaid for Amendola, I am hopeful they can restructure his deal down a more favorable annual salary for the team during the offseason. I do think his performance this season will give them the leverage they need to do so and I fully expect them to try, that is the reason why I think there is a possibility that he is released I think that if he refuses to restructure they may send him packing based on his unwillingness to do what they think is best for the team.

But Vereen got hurt. Shouldn't we dump him too?

Vereen the player who has 16 receptions and 162 total yards in the last 2 games despite playing with a cast on his wrist? No we can keep him around he helps fill the void left by our slot receiver who returned from a groin injury in week 5 but apparently that is the reason behind his 9 receptions for 62 yards in those same games.

If Amendola was really playing poorly because of the groin they wouldn't have brought him back in week 5. They didn't rush Gronkowski or Vereen I find it hard to believe they'd rush Amendola.

Vereen the player who has 16 receptions and 162 total yards in the last 2 games despite playing with a cast on his wrist? No we can keep him around he helps fill the void left by our slot receiver who returned from a groin injury in week 5 but apparently that is the reason behind his 9 receptions for 62 yards in those same games.

If Amendola was really playing poorly because of the groin they wouldn't have brought him back in week 5. They didn't rush Gronkowski or Vereen I find it hard to believe they'd rush Amendola.

Yeah, the one who dropped two easy passes.

they really cant cut him so unless he has some big off the field problems and that wont happen he will be here next year, now he may never be what us fans want him to be but he has a nice roll on this team as Brady's 3rd or 4th opt

Saw this because RayClay quoted.
They didn't rush Gronkowski or Vereen

You're joking right?

Belichick wanted Gronk back ASAP, even put him on the active roster. Gronk staying out was Gronk's choice.

Vereen by NFL rules couldn't be rushed back but was back the first game he was allowed to come off the IR.

Amendola rushed himself back and Belichick loves guys like that. He could have opted for surgery and ended his season. Yet here you think Belichick is going to release Amendola because of stats. Belichick will not even enter the discussion of releasing Amendola for the sheer fact that with a torn groin muscle Amendola isn't making any excuses and is out there playing every week.

But continue your Edelman over Amendola meltdown on here. Outside of 3 games Edelman hasn't really done anything special. And that's 100 percent healthy.

Yeah, the one who dropped two easy passes.

Serious question for you because I am not a doctor I only play one on the internet when I read about Amendola’s injury the recovery time is 2-6 weeks per doctors and reports, tomorrow will be the 13th week since the injury occurred. Do you really think that is what is impacting his play so much? If it is why would team continue to play him at less than 100% when they had Edelman filling in just fine?

• They’ve placed these players on injured reserve: Wilfork, Kelly, Mayo, Vollmer – with the exception of Vollmer all of those players suffered injuries that other NFL players have come back from in season in recent years – Suggs, Lewis among others.
• They put Vereen on in season injured reserve for 9 weeks with a wrist injury that at first was expected to only take a few weeks to recover from and at most 4-6 weeks.
• Gronkowski did not return until the 21st of October with his arm and back injury despite reports he could have played sooner.
• Slater missed 4 games with a hand injury.
• Gregory been out 3 weeks (including the bye) with a thumb injury.
• Talib missed 4 weeks (including the bye) with a hip injury.
• Dobson has missed a game due to a hamstring and is out tomorrow with a sprained foot.

My point is this team is generally very conservative with playing injured players; I don’t believe that would take such a cautious approach with these players but run Amendola out there week after week. They could have easily shut Amendola down through the bye week and had him back for the stretch run. I don’t see his groin injury as the reason he has his current productivity I just think his current productivity aligns with his career numbers and it is the player that Amendola is. There is nothing wrong with that as long as everyone stops pretending there is something bigger and better coming because it is not going to happen what you see is what you get he will have 2-4 really great games a year (Bills, Steelers) and in the others he will be non-existent to average – that has been his trend throughout his previous 4 season and so far this year. Honestly my issues isn’t even with him being that type of player its more with the fans, media and posters who are trying to sell people on the excuses and the belief that Amendola is this heaven sent slot receiver who is going to make us all forget Wes Welker ever existed.

Saw this because RayClay quoted.

You're joking right?

Belichick wanted Gronk back ASAP, even put him on the active roster. Gronk staying out was Gronk's choice.

Vereen by NFL rules couldn't be rushed back but was back the first game he was allowed to come off the IR.

Amendola rushed himself back and Belichick loves guys like that. He could have opted for surgery and ended his season. Yet here you think Belichick is going to release Amendola because of stats. Belichick will not even enter the discussion of releasing Amendola for the sheer fact that with a torn groin muscle Amendola isn't making any excuses and is out there playing every week.
But continue your Edelman over Amendola meltdown on here. Outside of 3 games Edelman hasn't really done anything special. And that's 100 percent healthy.

He did not need surgery he actually did what they normally do in surgery on his own. This is the article on the injury and based on the 2-6 week recovery period Amendola returned in week 5 which puts his return at 4 weeks which is in the middle of the timeline so I don’t think he rushed back. Also Belichick loves good players who can play at a high level even when injured, he does not like players who become almost non-existent due to an injury if that was the case he’d of told and Wilfork not to go on IR and sent him out there on one leg which Vince would have done. If Amendola is playing below his performance level because of an injury they would not have kept putting him out there they have never done it with any other player so I find it completely unbelievable that now all of a sudden they put players out there for 50% productivity when they’re injured.

Read the article do some additional research on his injury, his groin injury did not require surgery and if it did they would have had him get it because he would have been recovered by now either way, Belichick is never going to send a guy out there that belongs in a wheel chair to play, he is one of the more conservative coaches in the NFL when it comes to giving ample recovery time. He may have some pain in the groin but so doesn’t Adrian Peterson, its week 13 of the NFL season I am sure every receiver has some aliment that is affecting them, but plenty of them caught more than 3 balls for 17 yards last week. Stop using this injury as an excuse, Amendola has not performed well this year end of story just let him own it and hope it gets better stop trying to be his savior and protect him from criticism that his play merits.

Y! SPORTS

OK so my position is that Bill Belichick does not determine roles and roster spots are not guaranteed based on the individual salary cap implications of a player.

Since you all appear to disagree with my position then that must mean that you do believe roles are in fact determine roles and roster spots are guaranteed based on the individual salary cap implication of a player.

In this particular case I do believe that DA's 2014 roster spot is guaranteed by his salary cap implications. There have been times and will be times in which a player's spot on the Patriots roster is determined by the salary cap implications of letting him go.

In this particular case I do believe that DA's 2014 roster spot is guaranteed by his salary cap implications. There have been times and will be times in which a player's spot on the Patriots roster is determined by the salary cap implications of letting him go.

I respect your knowledge of the salary cap, I regularly use your page so if you say it is the case I will take your word on that and shift my view. After 2014 they can move on from him without any implications correct?

B6, I guess you never know what its like to be the subject of one of your slanted pieces of disinformation until it actually happens to you. You would have had a great career working for the the KGB in their disinformation unit. Or if you didn't want to travel, the republican party or Fox News (the same thing to most people) is always on the look out for those who can take a kernel of fact and twist it into something entirely unrecognizable.

BTW- I've read most of your fuzzy logic comments by others and haven't the time nor the energy to waste my time pointing out the errors of your logic. I'll leave that to the more committed. You mistake me for someone with 50,000 posts over the last decade or more, not one with 5K. Suffice it to say to say, you have missed my point by a mile

To the rest of the board, let me articulate better. From 2007-2012 the Pats ran one of the most prolific offenses in NFL history. (including the year Brady was out). There were a number of years that offense revolved around Wes Welker. He was great at it. He still is great at it. But BB doesn't wait until the obvious arrives before he takes the next evolutionary step. He wasn't blind to the playoff facts that good defenses that were well schemed were starting to have more and more success against an offense that was Wes Welker-centric. No one really stopped it from getting yard. They stopped it from getting all the points from the regular season.

You just have to look at last Sunday. Ever watch a Denver game from early this year. It was deja vu, only better. A truly great big WR. A capable big #2 WR, the penultimate slot receiver, and a very good receiving TE. The NFL certainly saw it. They saw it to the tune of record breaking weeks of passing offense...until Sunday.

At that point, using a similar basic scheme that we've seen the Pats get slowed down on several occasions, the Pats CRUSHED the Denver attack and the 2nd best QB of his generation. And they did it with a large assortment of rookie FA's. subs, and replacements, filling in for what will someday be an awesome defense.

If the Pats hadn't been so generous to give the Bronco's 17 gimme points they would have Blown out the Bronco's on Sunday. Think about it. Manning's best drive (the one at the end of regulation) not only need 3 perfect passes and 2 great catches, they also needed 2 penalties that are not always called for even this one to happen.

The point being that EVERYTHING the Broncos did through the air was HARD.....and Welker became an after thought, just like the rest of the receivers in that game.

Believe me. The Broncos schedule after Sunday is almost as easy as our, but believe me, everything thing they do now on offense is going to be a lot HARDER now. This is the NFL baby and it doesn't take too long before teams start to catch up.

Think about it. The 85 Chicago Bears were the most Dominant team in NFL history (IMHO) The 86 Bears lost deep in the playoffs, were an excellent team. The 87 Bears? They began about a decade long period where the Bears didn't even make the playoffs. So from the MOST dominant team in NFL history to oblivion in 2 years

Ask Buddy Ryan if teams catch up. He took that defense to 2 other cities as a HC and never won a playoff game, in fact IIRC he only got there twice. Teams might use some of his principles, now and then, but NO ONE has used the 4-6 defense as a base for close to 20 year. Teams catch up.

And they, to the same degree, they have caught up with the Josh McDaniels offense that started setting records in 2007 - Then Josh evolved it some what after bringing in the TE's in 2010. And now again in 2013 into something I doubt we'll fully see until next season.

BB understands that you change or die in this league. That's why he was able to move from defensive and offensive concepts he held dear for years. In the end, even if he'd come back, I'm willing to bet BB would have wanted Welker is a less prominent role. His numbers would have gone down, and fans and the media would have beaten the poor guy up for doing what was best of the team.

Instead he took the offer gave him the same role he had in NE. A place where he'd be the new toy, not one that was going to have to change

Thanks for the rant time :D

B6, I guess you never know what its like to be the subject of one of your slanted pieces of disinformation until it actually happens to you. You would have had a great career working for the the KGB in their disinformation unit. Or if you didn't want to travel, the republican party or Fox News (the same thing to most people) is always on the look out for those who can take a kernel of fact and twist it into something entirely unrecognizable.

BTW- I've read most of your fuzzy logic comments by others and haven't the time nor the energy to waste my time pointing out the errors of your logic. I'll leave that to the more committed. You mistake me for someone with 50,000 posts over the last decade or more, not one with 5K. Suffice it to say to say, you have missed my point by a mile

To the rest of the board, let me articulate better. From 2007-2012 the Pats ran one of the most prolific offenses in NFL history. (including the year Brady was out). There were a number of years that offense revolved around Wes Welker. He was great at it. He still is great at it. But BB doesn't wait until the obvious arrives before he takes the next evolutionary step. He wasn't blind to the playoff facts that good defenses that were well schemed were starting to have more and more success against an offense that was Wes Welker-centric. No one really stopped it from getting yard. They stopped it from getting all the points from the regular season.

You just have to look at last Sunday. Ever watch a Denver game from early this year. It was deja vu, only better. A truly great big WR. A capable big #2 WR, the penultimate slot receiver, and a very good receiving TE. The NFL certainly saw it. They saw it to the tune of record breaking weeks of passing offense...until Sunday.

At that point, using a similar basic scheme that we've seen the Pats get slowed down on several occasions, the Pats CRUSHED the Denver attack and the 2nd best QB of his generation. And they did it with a large assortment of rookie FA's. subs, and replacements, filling in for what will someday be an awesome defense.

If the Pats hadn't been so generous to give the Bronco's 17 gimme points they would have Blown out the Bronco's on Sunday. Think about it. Manning's best drive (the one at the end of regulation) not only need 3 perfect passes and 2 great catches, they also needed 2 penalties that are not always called for even this one to happen.

The point being that EVERYTHING the Broncos did through the air was HARD.....and Welker became an after thought, just like the rest of the receivers in that game.

Believe me. The Broncos schedule after Sunday is almost as easy as our, but believe me, everything thing they do now on offense is going to be a lot HARDER now. This is the NFL baby and it doesn't take too long before teams start to catch up.

Think about it. The 85 Chicago Bears were the most Dominant team in NFL history (IMHO) The 86 Bears lost deep in the playoffs, were an excellent team. The 87 Bears? They began about a decade long period where the Bears didn't even make the playoffs. So from the MOST dominant team in NFL history to oblivion in 2 years

Ask Buddy Ryan if teams catch up. He took that defense to 2 other cities as a HC and never won a playoff game, in fact IIRC he only got there twice. Teams might use some of his principles, now and then, but NO ONE has used the 4-6 defense as a base for close to 20 year. Teams catch up.

And they, to the same degree, they have caught up with the Josh McDaniels offense that started setting records in 2007 - Then Josh evolved it some what after bringing in the TE's in 2010. And now again in 2013 into something I doubt we'll fully see until next season.

BB understands that you change or die in this league. That's why he was able to move from defensive and offensive concepts he held dear for years. In the end, even if he'd come back, I'm willing to bet BB would have wanted Welker is a less prominent role. His numbers would have gone down, and fans and the media would have beaten the poor guy up for doing what was best of the team.

Instead he took the offer gave him the same role he had in NE. A place where he'd be the new toy, not one that was going to have to change

Thanks for the rant time :D

Possibly your best post ever.

Generally speaking I like your posts, I actually have no clue what you said here however so I cannot really respond other than to say the changes that Belichick are making have nothing to do with Amendola and they could have been done with Edelman actually they have been made with Edelman. My saying that signing Amendola was a bad decision is not my saying we should have kept Welker because I agree with Belichick’s decision to move forward now rather than when Brady is 2 years older. I think the Amendola signing was a bad idea much like the Lloyd signing was a bad idea last season and I hold McDaniels accountable for planting the seed for both of those decisions. This season no matter what happens the decision to draft our X receiver in Dobson was a better idea than signing Brandon Lloyd last season, and we should drafted drafted our replacement slot receiver this season instead of over paying for a guy like Amendola on his second contract and getting a guy who came with injury baggage and a losing organization. I cannot remember a time since Welker in 2007 that it paid off when we went out and invested big money and multiple years on another teams free agent and so far the McDaniels following has not paid off for us at all – Amendola, Fells, Lloyd, Salas, Larsen, Hoomanawanui (he probably has paid off the most).

Reading in a forum much like reading an email is open to interpretation, if you look at my posts with the belief Brady6 is an ******* who hates Amendola you are going to perceive my logic to be flawed or distasteful, if you approach my posts with the belief that Brady6 is a nice guy who is looking at the Amendola signing objectively and without bias you will find my logic to be valid and potentially even enjoyable. I am not an ******* I am not sitting here hating just to hate on Amendola, I am a lifelong Patriots fan and invest probably too much time into the team, I think it is by miles the best organization in all of pro sports bar none. I try and be objective though, I do not want to set a tone or precedent that everything I say about the Patriots is roses and sunshine the reason is simple I feel that if I do that my posts will not offer much believability and I will fall into a category of posters that no matter if the player runs into the wrong end zone the poster is going to act as if the player is flawless and create excuses such as well sorry that X RB got turf in his contact and ran into the wrong end zone but next week when he has new eye drops he is going to run for 250 yards and 3 touchdowns and make you look stupid. I just try and keep it real, if a player is doing well I give him praise, if a player is not meeting expectations I point it out. It is nothing personal about the players I want them all to be successful, I am simply unwilling to pretend they are when they aren’t.

As for the parts of the post I did not quote much like the majority of your other post it was very much spot on and a very good read. Have a nice even pal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents