PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Damn Pittman to be franchised

If we sit our rookie QB for his first season (which we should), wait until next year for the Tee Higgins/Pittman Jr. caliber players. No 30 year old plus players. Just draft exceptionally well (hopefully for at least the first few drafts), and have that money for when guys that are good enough and young enough are available.

What happened last year with free agent RBs is what is happening this year with free agent WRs. If these guys don't sign extensions and now become free agents again in 2025, the 2025 free agent class now looks like this:

-Jamarr Chase
-Ceedee Lamb
-Justin Jefferson
-Brandon Aiyuk
-Amon-Ra St Brown
-Tee Higgins
-Michael Pittman Jr
-Jaylen Waddle
-Devonta Smith
-Zay Jones
-Keenan Allen
-Mike Williams
-Chris Godwin
-Amari Cooper
-Diontae Johnson
-Deandre Hopkins

And many more. Obviously many of these guys will extend with their current teams before 2025, but several won't. Maybe NE should target someone on the above list as a trade+extend candidate.
Realistically only a small number of these players will make it to free agency next year. Top receivers like a Diggs usually move via a trade, not free agency.

Realistically only a small number of these players will make it to free agency next year. Top receivers like a Diggs usually move via a trade, not free agency.
Yeah what I’m saying at the bottom of my post is that this would be the time to seek a trade for one of those guys. Final year of their deals. I could see a Jefferson or Aiyuk deal.

Maybe Amari Cooper could be a Pats trade target? Not too old yet, experience in AVP’s system for 2 years as the WR1, gives the Browns $12M in cap space which they need since they only have $3M currently. His salary is high this year ($20M) but a short extension can resolve that. I bet he could be had for a mid-rounder since the Browns are cap-strapped.

Colts Franchising Michael Pittman
Gabe Davis
Marquise Brown
Are going to make some money somewhere.
Not sure why you're surprised. Most of the top 10-15 FAs will get tagged on O and D.

Colts Franchising Michael Pittman
Gabe Davis
Marquise Brown
Are going to make some money somewhere.
read this today... bummer... while not confirming that they will tag him, the colts are going to work this one til it gets done... He's the best free agent wr on the market imo... quibble if you will regarding Tee Higgins, but I would rather have Pittman

Yeah what I’m saying at the bottom of my post is that this would be the time to seek a trade for one of those guys. Final year of their deals. I could see a Jefferson or Aiyuk deal.

Maybe Amari Cooper could be a Pats trade target? Not too old yet, experience in AVP’s system for 2 years as the WR1, gives the Browns $12M in cap space which they need since they only have $3M currently. His salary is high this year ($20M) but a short extension can resolve that. I bet he could be had for a mid-rounder since the Browns are cap-strapped.
I was thinking about that.

Pittman is going to be 27, by the time the Patriots will realistically have a chance of being good is when he’d be 30 and you’re looking for younger WR help

I'm more concerned with our free agents, get these guys signed and give us some hope. Don't tell us you're going to burn some money then walk it back afterwards.

Draft a bunch of WR's from the third round on. Once they find a QB and a OT in the first two rounds, they can go crazy picking weapons.

Jefferson, probably costs too much in a trade for a team with so much rebuilding to do on offense. Love to see Aiyuk here. Cooper would be a nice vet for a rookie receiver to lean on. He’s the the kind of player the Pats can easily fit under the 2024 cap, without creating a future cap liability beyond 2024. I’m sure they could lower the 2024 cap number, but with their cap space it’s not a necessity.

Pats can get a wr off of denver
Send em Mac jones, if anyones gonna get Mac right its Sean payton. Throw in d. Parker and a mid Rd pick and get Jerry juedy or Courtland Sutton

And I'd offer pick 34 for aiyuk
So the pats would have
Aiyuk
Juedy
Demario
Juju
Thornton
Draft pick
And to fit this plan trade down to 6 with the giants for there 2 2nds and a 1st in 25'
Draft jj McCarthy
With the 2 2s take at least 1 tackle maybe 2
In FA address TE, RB, and some small tweaks on D
If you stay at 3 and take 1 of the top qbs maybe sign Jonah Williams
Either way this isn't outa the realm of possibilities. 49ers are strappd for cash, Broncos too

lol at people acting all surprised. Get Davis and be done with it. Move on to the draft.

lol at people acting all surprised. Get Davis and be done with it. Move on to the draft.
To be honest Gabe Davis + Kendrick Bourne + Pop Douglas are probably a solid group. Not spectacular but you can work with that. I think the change in scheme will let the WRs thrive a bit more.

is he really good enough to care? Not for me.

And I'd offer pick 34 for aiyuk
So the pats would have
Aiyuk
Juedy
Demario
Juju
Thornton
Draft pick
And to fit this plan trade down to 6 with the giants for there 2 2nds and a 1st in 25'
Draft jj McCarthy
With the 2 2s take at least 1 tackle maybe 2
In FA address TE, RB, and some small tweaks on D
If you stay at 3 and take 1 of the top qbs maybe sign Jonah Williams
Either way this isn't outa the realm of possibilities. 49ers are strappd for cash, Broncos too
That just seems unrealistic. 49ers have said they want to sign Aiyuk long term. If not, based on everything I've read, the asking price is a first-round pick, Texans likely would be willing to do that. 34th pick would not be enough.

Then you are stuck with trading for Jeudy. He's a head case and an underachiever. He had 2 touchdowns last year.
You could, maybe, give up very little to save them cap space, then if he actually plays well, you can franchise him, but he is high risk to sign to a long-term contract until he shows he's a true #1 receiver.

In addition, if the miracle happened and you got Jeudy and Aiyuk you would have to tie up a ton of cap space to pay them what they want, makes no sense to pay 2 guys as #1 receivers, so you're likely letting 1 go in 2025 anyways.

That just seems unrealistic. 49ers have said they want to sign Aiyuk long term. If not, based on everything I've read, the asking price is a first-round pick, Texans likely would be willing to do that. 34th pick would not be enough.

Then you are stuck with trading for Jeudy. He's a head case and an underachiever. He had 2 touchdowns last year.
You could, maybe, give up very little to save them cap space, then if he actually plays well, you can franchise him, but he is high risk to sign to a long-term contract until he shows he's a true #1 receiver.

In addition, if the miracle happened and you got Jeudy and Aiyuk you would have to tie up a ton of cap space to pay them what they want, makes no sense to pay 2 guys as #1 receivers, so you're likely letting 1 go in 2025 anyways.
Well it sounded fun. How bout Mac and Parker for Courtland Sutton maybe throw 8n a late Rd pick. Mac was always compared to drew Brees and Denver is strapped for cash

To be honest Gabe Davis + Kendrick Bourne + Pop Douglas are probably a solid group. Not spectacular but you can work with that. I think the change in scheme will let the WRs thrive a bit more.
Scratch Bourne.... Calvin Ridley - Gabe Davis - Pop Douglas - Juju and Day 2 Rookie. :cool:That scenario would light a fire under Thornton's @ss I can't see him making it unless he has a world beater Offseason and TC. Davis is a true deep threat Ridley can be great our WR situation would-be very good Ridley and Davis replaces Parker and Thornton win win right there.

Teams are hanging on to their good WRs. That's a fekkin' shock.
Oh My God Omg GIF

The real question is whether those teams can afford to do it again next year. Higgins is tagged this season, but Cincy may not be able to do it again next year, as Chase’s deal is on their horizon. So if the Patriots manage their cap well, and don’t over pay for receivers this offseason, they may well be able to go get him next year at this time.

The real question is whether those teams can afford to do it again next year. Higgins is tagged this season, but Cincy may not be able to do it again next year, as Chase’s deal is on their horizon. So if the Patriots manage their cap well, and don’t over pay for receivers this offseason, they may well be able to go get him next year at this time.
True. I am really interested to see how they handle the drafts going forward. My guess is they will not be like Bill and passing on athletes because they don't like their attitude, arrogance or have t-rex arms because they got burned by AH.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back