PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cutdown Day: PATS DISCUSSION thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously Bedard? Guy is such an idiot.

There is no way anyone can say Hoyer outplayed Mallett this preseason.

Preseason stats:
Hoyer 22/47, 46.8%, 196 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 56.7 QB rating
Mallett 33/67, 49.3%, 300 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT, 70.5 QB rating

Neither we exactly impressive but with Mallett's potential and Hoyer's salary, Mallett didn't need to blow Hoyer away this preseason to win the job.

It doesn't matter though, if Brady went down and we had to play either of these guys we are screwed anyway.

Stats don't show who's outplaying who in the preseason. Patriots fans should know that as well as any fans in the league.

We could certainly play with our four top receivers. They are the best set of four in the nfl (or 2nd or 3rd). Yes, we have backups in Fells, Shiancoe, and Edelman.

HOWEVER, I think that we should have a veteran backup on the 53, even if he is inactive. Having such a veteran active gives us a bit more flexibility.

This team went TE heavy offense in 06 with Gaffney and Caldwell as the main WRs and Watson and Graham as the TEs. I don't see why we can't just stick with what we have and be successful with Lloyd/Welker and Gronk/Hernandez. Aaron can swing outside if the situation calls for a third WR, and Shiancoe/other TE can come in to fill in as a TE.

I don't think Gaffney's coming back.

Stats don't show who's outplaying who in the preseason. Patriots fans should know that as well as any fans in the league.

Obviously they aren't the end all be all. But those along with playing time and practice reports.

It's clear that Hoyer wasn't that much better than Mallett and he certainly didn't deserve $1.9M to stand on the sidelines and hold a clip board.

Mallett clearly earned the trust of the team and the coaches and that is enough. They clearly know more about QBs than me, your or anyone else on here does.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Koppen week 1 in Tenn. as the Titans starting center. They lost their starter I belive during the off season.

Zolak seems to think they are keeping Kettani.
Scott Zolak ‏@scottzolak

They're keeping a FB....GO NAVY

OK, you're going to have to go on ignore. It's too busy a day for trolls.

:bricks:

"I can't formulate an articulate argument to counter your point so you are a troll and I'm ignoring you"

LMAO good riddance.

Last edited:
Well, as you yourself wrote - it's all about the playoffs. A precarious 3-4 weeks will be a distant memory by Week 14.

If Gaffney isn't healthy until week 6, then what would you suggest the team do to avoid a precarious situation until then?

Have other decent options and implement one or more of them.... "It's all about the playoffs" means that scoring 100 points in the first two games of the regular season doesn't mean that team's ok. It also means that you have to cover your bases so that you don't lose home field advantage because you lost a WR in week 1-2 and didn't have a suitable replacement because you were waiting on the return of Gaffney.

Last edited:
So there is momentarily lots of talk of Gaffney returning... what's the possibility of Branch's return in addition/instead?

I don't think I am UTD on the rules regarding vet salaries that would make this have some sort of silver lining for a guy like Gaffney or Branch, is it as simple as them being released, then resigned with a new contract in which the entire value of the first year is guaranteed, regardless of whether they're cut/IR'd during the season?

Also sounds like Trevor Scott will be making the team. :rocker:

I'd like to see Justin Francis on the team, or at least the PS. Doubt he makes it there though, guy has looked good this preseason.

I mean the fact that he has played one full season in the past 5 years, and has had 11, 2 and 8 game seasons in that time.

I already addressed this. He has been healthy two years in a row playing far more than he did in the years he was injured. He might have turned the corner in that area. Could have been an attitude thing in the past where he refused to play through injuries since he did have an attitude problem in the past.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Koppen week 1 in Tenn. as the Titans starting center. They lost their starter I belive during the off season.

Wilfork would be delighted with that development I am sure.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm feeling confident now that Mallett will turn into an above average starting QB in a year or two. I don't think that Hoyer would be able to do more than "manage" this team to an 8-8 or 9-7 record. He makes pretty good decisions but doesn't have the physical ability to be more than a spot starter.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm feeling confident now that Mallett will turn into an above average starting QB in a year or two. I don't think that Hoyer would be able to do more than "manage" this team to an 8-8 or 9-7 record. He makes pretty good decisions but doesn't have the physical ability to be more than a spot starter.

You are not alone. But what do I know I'm nothing more than a "troll" because I differ in opinion than some folks.

I already addressed this. He has been healthy two years in a row playing far more than he did in the years he was injured. He might have turned the corner in that area. Could have been an attitude thing in the past where he refused to play through injuries since he did have an attitude problem in the past.

That's not addressing it, Rob. That's hoping he won't get hurt and making up rationales.

We could certainly play with our four top receivers. They are the best set of four in the nfl (or 2nd or 3rd). Yes, we have backups in Fells, Shiancoe, and Edelman.

HOWEVER, I think that we should have a veteran backup on the 53, even if he is inactive. Having such a veteran active gives us a bit more flexibility.

I think this is an indictment on how the coaches feel about Hernandez taking on the role as the third WR when formations and situations call upon doing so, and Edelman as a backup WR if someone does get hurt.

A little scary, but the coaches see these guys everyday. Edelman, from reports I've read about TC, made a good amount of plays.

Have other decent options and implement one or more of them.... "It's all about the playoffs" means that scoring 100 points in the first two games of the regular season doesn't mean that team's ok. It also means that you have to cover your bases so that you don't lose home field advantage because you lost a WR in week 1-2 and didn't have a suitable replacement because you were waiting on the return of Gaffney.

Seems to boil down to the mystery of why so few WR's can fit into this offensive system.

If even one or two of the many WR flameouts over the years had pulled it together the whole landscape would be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes