PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran's reporting on Mayo being the next head coach

I wouldn’t necessarily categorize it that way though. Kraft could be concerned about Belichick not empowering his coaches (the Herald article). Same coaches but different structure - more delegating and the coordinators being in charge of different things. Mayo could be for that, for all we know. Vrabel has HC experience and outside contacts which Mayo doesn’t have. Personally I would lean Vrabel ( really Harbaugh is my first choice though - he has a real track record, recognizing it would be a huge culture shock), but I’d understand a Mayo hire and hope the lack of experience doesn’t come back to bite.
I would prefer Harbaugh as well. The last nfl team he coached had a winning tradition as well

I wouldn’t necessarily categorize it that way though. Kraft could be concerned about Belichick not empowering his coaches (the Herald article). Same coaches but different structure - more delegating and the coordinators being in charge of different things. Mayo could be for that, for all we know. Vrabel has HC experience and outside contacts which Mayo doesn’t have. Personally I would lean Vrabel ( really Harbaugh is my first choice though - he has a real track record, recognizing it would be a huge culture shock), but I’d understand a Mayo hire and hope the lack of experience doesn’t come back to bite.
Yeah, I could have been more detailed in my post. I agree with you on the coaching empowerment points.

Also agree that I'd prefer Vrabel over Mayo. I am sure that Kraft had no idea Vrabel would be available when he was talking up Mayo last offseason internally. Mayo's lack of outside coaching experience seems like it would be a pain point as far as building a staff. We'll see what happens...

What we should do:

HC: Jedd Fisch
GM: 1A) Howie Roseman; or, 1B) Eliot Wolf

Fisch worked with a lot of nfl teams, including the Patriots. He took over Tedy Bruschi’s alma mater, an absolute dumpster fire Kevin Sumlin left it (they lost to instate rival ASU 70-7 in 2020, and has built it up tremendously.

Mayo is an unknown—he’s been promised the Patriots job, so it’s going to him—but Fisch at 44 and offensive minded would be just what the doctor ordered to right the ship.

Fisch as an undergrad at Florida put a notice on HC Steve Spurrier’s windshield for 450 consecutive days until he was finally given a job as graduate assistant.

But Robert wants to look progressive to his rich friends. We will get a guy in Mayo that has some potential but a STEEP learning curve ahead of him. It remains to be seen how he rises to the occasion. He should have a bona fide OC and let him run the show on that side of the ball.

Priority number one, JM, is an OL coach.

No need to reinvent the wheel. COLE POPOVICH!

Last edited:
What we should do:

HC: Jedd Fisch
GM: 1A) Howie Roseman; or, 1B) Eliot Wolf

Fisch worked with a lot of nfl teams, including the Patriots. He took over Tedy Bruschi’s alma mater, an absolute dumpster fire Kevin Sumlin left it (they lost to instate rival ASU 70-7 in 2020, and has built it up tremendously.

Mayo is an unknown—he’s been promised the Patriots job, so it’s going to him—but Fisch at 44 and offensive minded would be just what the doctor ordered to right the ship.

Fisch as an undergrad at Florida put a notice on HC Steve Spurrier’s windshield for 450 consecutive days until he was finally given a job as graduate assistant.

But Robert wants to look progressive to his rich friends. We got a guy in Mayo with potential but a STEEP learning curve ahead of him.

Priority number one, JM, is an OL coach.

No need to reinvent the wheel. COLE POPOVICH!
Boggles my damn mind why Popovich is not back on this team yet.

I’ve never heard anybody previously or currently affiliated with the NFL refer to Vrabel as anything but a good to excellent coach and to a man they have been expressing a range of surprise to shock that they would let him go but half of the experts on this site are labeling him average/mediocre and not worth considering. LOL.

I am sure that Kraft had no idea Vrabel would be available when he was talking up Mayo last offseason internally.
True. Kraft put himself into a box doing that. The Rooney rule and wanting to look forward thinking to his buddies means Mayo is a done deal.

Was there ever any legit words out of the Krafts mouths that Mayo was in line to be next??

We all assume that, just like we assumed when JMD canned the Colts to come back that he was given that promise.

I just pray it's not Mayo. I don't think he's ready. And I'm not sure any high-value OC would work for such an inexperienced newbie.
JMD wouldn't be OC under Mayo, neither would BOB.

If they hope Mayo would turn out just like Ryans in HOU, that's because they have Casserio (building that team for 3 years)

I just pray Curran is wrong again - like most of his takes.

I don't think they'll name a new HC today. If BB is showing up, it's not likely to be a new announcement.
In fact it's so out of the norm for the "departing" coach to show up to the owner announcement that he's gone.
100% won't say who is the new guy today and take away from the spotlight that Bill deserves.

Mayo has 4 years of coaching experience!!! That's it.

And, BTW, those 4 years are also the worst years of the last 30. Soooooo... is Mayo really the best option?
5 years, he was hired for the 2019 season. Vrabel had 7 years of experience as a coach before he became head coach, and 1 year as DC. Certainly more, but the point is people — particularly former NFL players who were team captains — have been hired with lower experience before.

The real issue is that from an outsider perspective, we really don’t know what‘s going on and how prepared someone is. Belichick himself - we could see the defense improve in 1996, but I didn’t understand why Kraft gave him full control when he didn’t give it to Parcells. It came out later just how beyond the curve (at the time) Belichick was about the salary cap and player value, and that he and Kraft spent a long time talking about it back in 1996. We don’t know if there are similar things with Mayo (or not ). We just have to hope Kraft knows what he’s doing here. If he’s wrong, we’ll be seeing more empty seats in the future.

If Curran gets this right, I'll still take him seriously.

If he gets this wrong, to me (I know many are already there), has officially entered complete clown territory not to be trusted for anything.

You’d call it a diversity hire, naturally.
You know it is. And I can assure you Kraft would LOVE to use Mayo as a token to pat himself on the back, "making history", and promote some type of message about "diversity" and "historical NFL racism".

If Curran gets this right, I'll still take him seriously.

If he gets this wrong, to me (I know many are already there), has officially entered complete clown territory not to be trusted for anything.
I think the only caveat here is if it ends up being Vrabel. Curran seemed to be first pushing this before anyone had any idea Vrabel would be out of a job.

The perception is Mayo is a BB disciple but BB never gave Mayo any direct credit maybe feeling the Krafts really like him as his successor.
In coaching being a play caller supposed is what gives you the coaching credits.. funny how SB was the play caller... I want Mayo and Vrabel both here.

Josh would be foolish to follow BB he has a great history here as a OC stay with the younger guys Josh.
Agreed. His family is here as well settled in Massachusetts. He's got generational wealth between his last 2 HC gigs Denver and LV.. stay here coach up Daniels.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back