PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran:Will defense betray the Patriots in the end?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently, for some, it is good to be the worst 3rd down defense in the nfl and the worst Belichick has ever coached.

Yes, the patriots can beat the best teams out there. The open question is whether the defense will have one aweful game that the offense and special teams don't make up for.

I guess the same could hold true for the O....Can they give up 5 turnovers like 2005??? We'll have to wait and see...

Just to remind every one...most of us had the PATS as going 10-6 and first round out...lets just enjoy the ride and watch our young D gain experience in situations we had little hope they would be in this year...My biggest fear is that they'll be no football next year and we wont have the continuity we need for the future....

The only thing that worries me is that the Patriots probably won't play a team with a lesser defense in the playoffs than their own.

That said, we've played nearly every top 10 defense in the league this year and done pretty well. So it hasn't mattered this far.

Last edited:
The only thing that worries me is that the Patriots probably won't play a team with a lesser defense in the playoffs than their own.

That said, we've played nearly every top 10 defense in the league this year and done pretty well. So it hasn't mattered this far.

The best way to help the D is to have a ball control offense (which we have) and eat up large chunks of time. If we keep the opposing offense off of the field then we WILL do very well. Flaco, Manning, Sanchez, Rivers can't score from the bench.

I think we need to go to 10 yards and a cloud of dust(snow). Eat up the clock, wear out the opposing D and win.

But then again what do I know. I thought this team would be 6-10...soooo...

I guess the same could hold true for the O....Can they give up 5 turnovers like 2005??? We'll have to wait and see...

Thats another game that still sticks in my craw.

No question that team was flawed and DEN was decent, but IF they had pulled that game out, they would have hosted the AFCCG vs Pitt and played SEA in the SB. The opportunity to win 4 SB in 5 years was there with two winnable games, something no team has ever done.

Just like going undefeated. :(

In 2007 and 2009 everyone was worried about the defense but it was the offense that didn't show up. I think it's just as likely we lose a 20-17 game to the Ravens, for example, than we lose a 38-35 game to them.

In 2007 and 2009 everyone was worried about the defense but it was the offense that didn't show up. I think it's just as likely we lose a 20-17 game to the Ravens, for example, than we lose a 38-35 game to them.

I'm not really sure I agree with this looking back to SB 42. The key to that game was limiting the Patriots possessions and preventing them from capitalizing on opportunities.

The Patriots had 5 drives of 8 plays or more in that game, including 3 of over 12. They moved the ball.

The biggest play of that game might've been 4th & 13. Not gaining points from a 14 play, 8 minute drive was our undoing. We needed to get 3 out of that.

This is a fair question.

It's now been 14 games and it's clear that the offense will have to carry our defense in the playoffs if we are to make a serious run. The biggest issue with our defense IMO is that they can't get off on third downs and allow teams to go on long sustained drives. Yes, we don't give up the big play on defense, and teams going on 8 minute drives hampers our offense's rhythm and puts an even greater pressure on our offense to do something with each possession.

Can our offense be called on to play mistake free football, which is what it's going to take in the playoffs against good teams, for 3 straight games?

We are going to lose to a team that will be patient on offense and take the safe plays that our defense will give them. The safe play is always there to be had against our defense, it's just a matter of teams taking what we give them.

Last edited:
I'm fairly certain the Eagles could tear this defense to shreds. But the Patriots could also tear their defense to shreds. I would love to see that match. It could be the highest scoring Super Bowl of all time!

Last edited:
I'm fairly certain the Eagles could tear this defense to shreds. But the Patriots could also tear their defense to shreds. I would love to see that match. It could be the highest scoring Super Bowl of all time!

I don't think the Eagles will be in the superbowl, but if they are and so are the Patriots, I see New England winning because they'd be trading field goals for touchdowns. The advantage almost any playoff team has over Philly in the redzone is why I don't see them making a playoff run.

New England's offense is 3rd in red zone efficiency (64.29%) while Philly is dead last in red zone defense by a decent margin (76.92%). If NE gets the ball inside the 20 yard line against Philly, it's almost a sure touchdown.

On the other side, stats basically say that there's a 50/50 chance Philly gets a touchdown in the red zone against New England's defense. When the back of the end zone is playing defense, Philly's offense goes from one of the best to middle of the pack.

There's no way the defense would be able to stop Philly from moving the ball between the 20 yard lines, but if the defense focused on preventing the big play (even if it means employing the dreaded 10 yard cushion) and made Philly settle for field goals several times, they'd eventually be down 2+ possessions and Vick would started forcing long passes into coverage. Philly IMO would be a best case scenario should New England reach the superbowl, they're not a team designed to win in the playoffs.

My fist will betray Curran's face

When it comes to the defense, it will help a lot if we can get our injured DL plus Spikes back in the playoffs, especially Ron Brace. The other night, Green Bay was able to convert an alarming amount of third downs because they were in reasonable range to do so. They were running the ball with a good amount of success on first and second downs and setting themselves up for relatively easy conversions on third. If we can get Wright (who apparently is having a super computer installed into his head) and Pryor back, that would help big time with an interior pass rush which would be great against offenses like the Colts and the Steelers.

This defense as a whole? Eh. Like I said, our ceiling is the 2009 Saints. We aren't going to wow people and shut them out game after game ala the 2000 Ravens and the '85 Bears. We can give up long third downs and the pass defense as a whole has been underwhelming. But one thing that we can do better than last year is pressure and hit the quarterback. We may not generate a ton of sacks, but the pressure is there. Another thing we can do is make timely interceptions and turnovers to give our offense the ball back.

So do we have a lot of areas to improve on? Of course. I don't think even the maniacal, frothing at the mouth, homers can deny that. Bill Belichick will tell you the exact same thing. But I don't think they're going to be as much of a liability in the playoffs as this article states they could be.

You are judging the defense by the ability of the offense and special teams to make up for their level of play.

.That said, we've played nearly every top 10 defense in the league this year and done pretty well. So it hasn't mattered this far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe