PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: Patriots will be "extremely and uncharacteristically" aggressive in Free Agency

This sounds like mostly guess work, but it’s not exactly a leap to assume that’s what will happen. We will lose a good amount of guys, will have a ton of cap room, and we have the best pick in each round that we’ve had for over a decade. Hopefully it starts with BB getting over the whole “I only want to coach guys that I like” phase. That’s great and everything, but let’s make sure they’re actually good at the game of football first. It does the team no good to have likable guys that get along well with Bill but look like dogshit on the field.

This sounds like mostly guess work, but it’s not exactly a leap to assume that’s what will happen. We will lose a good amount of guys, will have a ton of cap room, and we have the best pick in each round that we’ve had for over a decade. Hopefully it starts with BB getting over the whole “I only want to coach guys that I like” phase. That’s great and everything, but let’s make sure they’re actually good at the game of football first. It does the team no good to have likable guys that get along well with Bill but look like dogshit on the field.
Yep.

Also kinda weird for Curran to say all of this and then mention Jacoby Brissett as an option for the Pats. That's not really what I'd have in mind as "aggressive"....

I hope it’s not a bunch of move that will allow him to say at the end of the year that he has sell out ;)

Yep.

Also kinda weird for Curran to say all of this and then mention Jacoby Brissett as an option for the Pats. That's not really "aggressive"....
It’s aggressively terrible if that’s the direction they’re going in for a starter.

I hope it’s not a bunch of move that will allow him to say at the end of the year that he has sell out ;)
I can accept losing seasons and no playoff seasons as long as there's a plan and they stick to it. I do not think there was much of a plan going into 2020. It needs to start now and if the plan is they're going to be aggressive and rebuild fast - great.

No reason why they can't rebuild a team in 3 seasons or less. The Rex Ryan Bills in 2016 were us now - and look where they are.

Last edited:
I can accept losing seasons and one and dones as long as there's a plan and they stick to it. I do not think there was much of a plan going into 2020. It needs to start now and if the plan is they're going to be aggressive and rebuild fast - great.

No reason why they can't rebuild a team in 3 seasons or less. The Bills were us in 2016 and look where they are.
Bill's plan for 2020 was to prepare for 2021.

Bill's plan for 2020 was to prepare for 2021.
They should have effectively tanked the season, then. A divestiture by trading some of your older, more expensive assets to accumulate picks, playing the kids to take an inventory of what you have, take the lumps, and secure the lowest draft position possible in each round so you can maximize the players available on your board.

They should have effectively tanked the season, then. A divestiture by trading some of your older, more expensive assets to accumulate picks, playing the kids to take an inventory of what you have, take the lumps, and secure the lowest draft position possible in each round so you can maximize the players available on your board.
Tanking games is not in the team's DNA

You’re talking about a different type of tanking than I am. In any event, I agree. That’s why we’re in no man’s land in the draft and talking about the likes of Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance, Kyle Trask, Marcus Mariota, Jacoby Brissett, and Mac Jones as the hope for the future.

Yep.

Also kinda weird for Curran to say all of this and then mention Jacoby Brissett as an option for the Pats. That's not really what I'd have in mind as "aggressive"....
These are Don Yee talking points that Curran agreed to disseminate in order to get the Daddy Brady interview.
"Make the team sound desperate without Tommy"

Do you really think Bill's employees are leaking team news to Brady's Boston mouth piece?

You’re talking about a different type of tanking than I am. In any event, I agree. That’s why we’re in no man’s land in the draft and talking about the likes of Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance, Kyle Trask, Marcus Mariota, Jacoby Brissett, and Mac Jones as the hope for the future.
Lots of different ways to build winning teams. Don't need the #1 pick to do it.

I can accept losing seasons and no playoff seasons as long as there's a plan and they stick to it. I do not think there was much of a plan going into 2020. It needs to start now and if the plan is they're going to be aggressive and rebuild fast - great.

No reason why they can't rebuild a team in 3 seasons or less. The Rex Ryan Bills in 2016 were us now - and look where they are.
The plan was to take the pain in 2020. Look at the COVID opt outs

I was just trying to be funny ;)

But I agree with you and in my mind, he doesn’t really has a choice because I don’t think his window is big enough to rebuild this team methodically through the draft if he want to win something before he calls it quit

They could have started Stidham which was looking like Bill’s plan until end of June when the Cam opportunity presented itself and either they would have won a bunch of games and finish in the same position we are now or would have lost a bunch of games, Bill would transitioned to Hoyer and we would have picked high in the draft.

In my mind, nobody would have said we are tanking, we would have said that Stidham and Hoyer really stinks and Bill would have justified it like he did: « we sold out and we didn’t have any money to pay a QB » and nobody would have said anything

This is like predicting that a guy who is currently living in a crappy 1200 square foot ranch in a crappy neighborhood and who has the funds for a sizeable down-payment, a decent job, and who is in a buyers market will be aggressive in his home purchasing endeavor...

Last edited:
With Brady gone, and the team facing a major rebuild in a division with two young teams already ahead of them (Buffalo being way ahead), New England is not exactly going to be a destination for a lot of free agents. Especially too with beLichick getting pantsed by Brady. Currently the team doesn't have a quarterback either, not one, that's not exactly where you want to start off talks with Allen Robinson or Corey Davis.

With Brady gone, and the team facing a major rebuild in a division with two young teams already ahead of them (Buffalo being way ahead), New England is not exactly going to be a destination for a lot of free agents. Especially too with beLichick getting pantsed by Brady. Currently the team doesn't have a quarterback either, not one, that's not exactly where you want to start off talks with Allen Robinson or Corey Davis.
The first piece that has too fall is the QB if you want to be agressive. If you don’t have any and you wait until the draft it will be hard to convince receiver to come here.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back