PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran Knows Something

Caveat 1: I think they stand pat and take a QB at 3.

BUT, and understanding that it's not without risk (and without going into all the possible permutations why I think this is possible), it's still likely that NE can get JJ at 11, or worse case Penix/Nix (notwithstanding the team hasn't shown much if any interest in either.)

Pro: They end draft day with a QB they like, a (likely) starting LT and very good WR (or trade 34 for Higgins) + an extra 1st round pick next year. (It will be much harder to get both a starting OT and a WR with picks 34 and 68.)
Con: They get a lesser QB prospect.

Caveat 2: Trade would be something like 11, 23, 4th, and next year 1. That's an overpay but needs to be in order to move down
Yep. I think they will likely take a qb at 3 - and should - because I think it UNlikely the offers will be high enough to make it reasonable not to. But funny things happen in the draft. Most years there ARE shockingly generous offers put forward. We'd be silly not to be open to the possibility we might be the beneficiarry of such a rare bird, particularly given it costs us absolutely nothing to keep our ears, and our options, open to such a possibility.

Mayo is obviously playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers
He's just thinking about his move before he makes it, because he has the zero-cost luxury of doing so. Looks like common sense to me.

I have no idea what sort of HC Mayo will be (I discount the "he's just such a darn nice guy" happy talk: who cares?), but he hasn't done a thing to this point which indicates he can't be a good one.

Would not be shocked if he is picked over Daniel’s or Maye.
I have to wonder why didn’t Michigan make him the focal point of the offense.
Because what they did netted them a National Championship. They don’t win that Alabama game without him though.

Because what they did netted them a National Championship. They don’t win that Alabama game without him though.
It was more the Bama QB isn’t a QB.

That’s the problem with Blaine Gabbert—oops, meant JJ McCarthy: he was rarely called upon to make big plays. He had a dominant OL, ran the West Coast offense Harbaugh has perfected, and like Mac Jones at Bama had guys open by an nfl mile because a safety had to be brought in the box to deal with the Wolverines’ nearly unstoppable rushing attack.

The idea of refusing the three first-rounders by the Vikings and taking game manager JJM is a clown move. I hope this is all a smoke screen.

Drake Maye is a legitimate first-rounder.

It was more the Bama QB isn’t a QB.

That’s the problem with Blaine Gabbert—oops, meant JJ McCarthy: he was rarely called upon to make big plays. He had a dominant OL, ran the West Coast offense Harbaugh has perfected, and like Mac Jones at Bama had guys open by an nfl mile because a safety had to be brought in the box to deal with the Wolverines’ nearly unstoppable rushing attack.

The idea of refusing the three first-rounders by the Vikings and taking game manager JJM is a clown move. I hope this is all a smoke screen.

Drake Maye is a legitimate first-rounder.
But with McCarthy your looking at the attributes, the arm, the feet, the age. The winning program. Reportedly he’s a great leader.
That’s what your buying.

The Athletic polled seven team executives, coaches and scouts over the past week for an updated evaluation of the QB class. Specifically, they were asked what they believed the Commanders would do at No. 2.

Three of them believed Daniels would be the pick. Two thought it would be Maye. One predicted McCarthy.

The last executive, who is not selecting in the top 10, didn’t offer a prediction but said a trade-down would be the wisest choice. The executive believed the drop-off from the second quarterback to the next tier wasn’t too steep, and the ability to recoup a haul of future draft picks would be too enticing to pass up.

Reactions: Ian
"Exec who is outside of the top 10 and may be in the front office of a team seeking to trade up for a QB says that the QBs aren't all that good anyway so the teams in position to take them should just trade down with teams looking to trade up, including his team"

I'm jumping out a first story window if the Pats take McCarthy at 3.

I hope that regardless of whoever Washington draft's (hopefully Daniels), Drake Maye is there for us at #3.
a definite upgrade in talent and arm strength so i am good with that

But with McCarthy your looking at the attributes, the arm, the feet, the age. The winning program. Reportedly he’s a great leader.
That’s what your buying.
Maybe that's what you're buying.
I sure as hell ain't

a definite upgrade in talent and arm strength so i am good with that
Yes. Maye has the desired size, arm strength, and mobility that you'd want in an NFL QB of today. He's also young, and young enough to sit for a year while he's coached-up and the talent on offense is improved from now until his 2nd season. Josh Allen ran a 4.75 40 during the combine. I suspect that Maye would be faster. He also is incredibly strong and I've seen him shake off defenders with regularity. Maye just had the absolute wort OL of all the QB's being discussed in the 1st round (and after the 1st round for that matter), and the least skill position talent to work with as well.

Yes. Maye has the desired size, arm strength, and mobility that you'd want in an NFL QB of today. He's also young, and young enough to sit for a year while he's coached-up and the talent on offense is improved from now until his 2nd season. Josh Allen ran a 4.75 40 during the combine. I suspect that Maye would be faster. He also is incredibly strong and I've seen him shake off defenders with regularity. Maye just had the absolute wort OL of all the QB's being discussed in the 1st round (and after the 1st round for that matter), and the least skill position talent to work with as well.
I'm more concerned about what's between his ears.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back