PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: Are fans wishing away the final years of a kicking savant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Curran: Are Patriots fans wishing away final years of a kicking savant?

Gostkowski’s perceived sin against Patriots football isn’t really the misses DrJones correctly catalogued. It’s the absence of season-saving or Super Bowl clinching kicks that his predecessor Adam Vinatieri made. Even now, a dozen years after he fled for more money and kinder kicking conditions with the Colts, Hall of Fame-bound Automatic Adam throws a shadow Gostkowski can’t escape.

Of course, it doesn't help Gostkowski that he came in right around the time the Pats offense became a juggernaut (going from +6 PPG margin with Brady + Vinatieri to +11 PPG margin with Brady + Gostkowski).

The fools dissing Gostkowski are the same ones that rip Kraft. Brady and/or Belichick. I loved the guy too but everyone is is quick to forget Adamatic Vinamoney shotgunned his way out of here by only agreeing to sign his franchise tag if the Pats agreed not to use it again. He was no fool, his kickoffs were short outdoors (back when that wasn't a good thing) and he knew he was under Belichick's microscope for it. Getting his butt to Indy when he was selling high and where he was guaranteed to play a minimum of 8 home and 2 road games a year indoors for a high powered offense has worked out very well for him and the team even if they did have their punter doing outdoor kickoffs for a few years. As for anyone sane member of Pats nation "wishing away the final years of a kicking savant" I don't see it. Since the draft plenty of otherwise sane fans have been wishing their summer away waiting for the season to start, I am as guilty of it as anyone and it seems like the wishing starts earlier every year.

Have to take the whole kicking picture into account, and that includes kickoffs and kicking in sh!tty weather, which are two things that Gost excels at.

Hard to imagine another kicker getting up to speed with what Belichick wants. If he thought someone could improve the position, we’d be seeing competition.

Have to take the whole kicking picture into account, and that includes kickoffs and kicking in sh!tty weather, which are two things that Gost excels at.

Hard to imagine another kicker getting up to speed with what Belichick wants. If he thought someone could improve the position, we’d be seeing competition.

Since his rookie year, he basically hasn't. (Shayne Graham was kept on the roster in 2011 to make sure he was recovered, but that's as close as he's come.)

As the article mentions, Ghost is the 3rd most accurate kicker in the history of the NFL - Everyone else isn't. The all time leader Justin Tucker has played half the seasons Ghost has. Ghost has played 5 more seasons than second all time Dan Bailey. Dan had 2 seasons of 90% or better. Ghost has had 5. Baileys last year was 75% Ghost never had a season that low.

And, as mentioned above that does not even take into account his kickoffs.

Last edited:
Since his rookie year, he basically hasn't. (Shayne Graham was kept on the roster in 2011 to make sure he was recovered, but that's as close as he's come.)
I think it’s fairly obvious that Belichick values Gostowski a great deal, and is smart enough to appreciate some of the finer points that may go over the average fan’s head.

I’m not saying that missing kicks in the season’s biggest game 3 years in a row should be overlooked, but I think there’s a pretty good reason why he’s still here without even seeing any competition.

Every kicker misses kicks, including Vinatieri. I remember at least a couple that he missed in the SB and a missed chip shot against KC that knocked us out of the playoffs one year.

Plain and simply, Gostkowski is a better all around kicker than Vinatieri. He kicks them longer and more accurately.

When Vinatieri gets inducted into the NYFL HOF which team will he represent? I think he's played more games for Indy.

Every kicker misses kicks, including Vinatieri. I remember at least a couple that he missed in the SB and a missed chip shot against KC that knocked us out of the playoffs one year.

Plain and simply, Gostkowski is a better all around kicker than Vinatieri. He kicks them longer and more accurately.

When Vinatieri gets inducted into the NYFL HOF which team will he represent? I think he's played more games for Indy.
I think Adam belongs in the HOF. For his clutch kicks both leading to and in Super Bowls, and his longevity. He is really a special player. I think he may be enshrined as a Colt, just as Fisk was as a White Sox.

But the enduring images of Adam will be those kicks in the snow and winning two Super Bowls in three years, just as Carlton will always be remembered for waiving it fair in Game 6 at Fenway.

I think Adam belongs in the HOF. For his clutch kicks both leading to and in Super Bowls, and his longevity. He is really a special player. I think he may be enshrined as a Colt, just as Fisk was as a White Sox.

But the enduring images of Adam will be those kicks in the snow and winning two Super Bowls in three years, just as Carlton will always be remembered for waiving it fair in Game 6 at Fenway.
Fisk is enshrined in the HoF with a Red Sox hat, which was his choice, despite his many years as a member of the White Sox. Pro football players who had significant time/contributions with multiple teams are enshrined as members of both/all of those teams

Last edited:
Fisk is enshrined in the HoF with a Red Sox hat, which was his choice, despite his many years as a member of the White Sox. Pro football players who had significant time/contributions with multiple teams are enshrinex as members of both/all of those teams
Yeah, I didn't notice the plaque...

Carlton Fisk

...it just said "Primary Team: White Sox"

Yeah, I didn't notice the plaque...

Carlton Fisk

...it just said "Primary Team: White Sox"
No, I just read the plaque inscription. The only team references are as follows: Boston: 1969, 1971-80/Chicago White Sox: 1981-93.

If pure kickers can make the HOF he certainly belongs. And if it's his choice and he doesn't choose the Pats then he's an Indiot... for real.

Adam won our first ever super bowl with a clutch kick not to mention the kicks he made in the snow bowl. That's what everyone remembers the most and dont remember his bad kicks. Ghost hasnt been in a position to win a super bowl on a 48 yard kick but even if he did it wouldn't be our first SB win.

I'm not wishing away Gost.

I am wishing he would make XPs in the playoffs.
That stupid AFCCG in Denver, I was kind of relieved when he missed the first PAT. I mean, he's HUMAN, you can't be perfect as he really was to that point. Kickers miss sometimes; but you want your guy to make it when it counts. I trust Ghost.

Having mentioned it now, can't help but repeat: The Butler benching is sound, reasonable and successful strategy compared to going for it twice down the stretch within easily makeable FG range, denying your more focused kicker the opportunity to redeem himself, and wasting two offensive possessions getting zero points off them.

That stupid AFCCG in Denver, I was kind of relieved when he missed the first PAT. I mean, he's HUMAN, you can't be perfect as he really was to that point. Kickers miss sometimes; but you want your guy to make it when it counts. I trust Ghost.

I admit, I'm a bit nervous with Gost in the playoffs now.

QUOTE="Actual Pats Fan, post: 5340392, member: 37603"]Having mentioned it now, can't help but repeat: The Butler benching is sound, reasonable and successful strategy compared to going for it twice down the stretch within easily makeable FG range, denying your more focused kicker the opportunity to redeem himself, and wasting two offensive possessions getting zero points off them.[/QUOTE]

Yea those were not BBs best moments. I agree.

Having mentioned it now, can't help but repeat: The Butler benching is sound, reasonable and successful strategy compared to going for it twice down the stretch within easily makeable FG range, denying your more focused kicker the opportunity to redeem himself, and wasting two offensive possessions getting zero points off them.

At the risk of derailing the thread, but I'll at least offer my opinion. I think going for a field goal makes more sense in hindsight than it did at the time.

After all, here's the what BB had to think about when making the first fourth down decision............

Down by 8
Fourth and One at DEN 9
6:03 left in the game

The Pats offense was getting owned all game. You can only reasonably count on having one drive after this, and you KNOW they must get a TD on one of those drives. Right now you are at the 9 YARD LINE, with a fourth and one, I think you have to go for it (even without considering that Gost already missed two kicks).

Even though it failed, I'm glad they went for it. THAT was their best chance to score. I think it would have been tragic if they kicked the FG and never got close to the end zone for the rest of the game.....I'd always wonder why they didn't go for it at that point and how things could have been different. At least now I know.

As for the topic at hand, sure, I'm nervous with Gost, but I'm nervous about any kick. I wouldn't trade Gost for anyone else.

He hasn't had the clutch moments that Vinatieri has had, but that was more due to opportunity. The biggest kicks Gost had were....

1.) The game winner in 2015 to beat the Giants to keep the undefeated season alive (and imagine losing to the Giants, again? yikes)

2.) The week after that he hit a game-tying, last second FG to tie the game against the Broncos. Sure, we lost the game in OT, but that wasn't Gost's fault.

As others have mentioned, it is rather impressive that Gostkowski is so valued that they don't even bother brining in competition.

After all, he would even bring in competition even after Adam Vinatieri hit two Super Bowl-winning field goals. How do I remember, I got Robbie Gould's autograph at camp in 2005.

As others have mentioned, it is rather impressive that Gostkowski is so valued that they don't even bother brining in competition.

After all, he would even bring in competition even after Adam Vinatieri hit two Super Bowl-winning field goals. How do I remember, I got Robbie Gould's autograph at camp in 2005.

I think that's what Mike Vanderjagt did. . . . :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back