PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: Are fans wishing away the final years of a kicking savant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every kicker misses kicks, including Vinatieri. I remember at least a couple that he missed in the SB and a missed chip shot against KC that knocked us out of the playoffs one year.

Plain and simply, Gostkowski is a better all around kicker than Vinatieri. He kicks them longer and more accurately.

When Vinatieri gets inducted into the NYFL HOF which team will he represent? I think he's played more games for Indy.

It would be a shame if he went in for Indy. All of his HOF kicks were as a patriot.

It would be a shame if he went in for Indy. All of his HOF kicks were as a patriot.

The 48 yarder in the snow that tied the Raiders game was the single greatest kick in NYFL history. It was so unlikely that the Raider players didn't really appear to challenge it much.

I think AV might be a better fit in Indy, even though he had more success here (it wasn't his fault that he was stuck with Peyton instead of Tommy).
His greatest Indy moment came when he led the team with all 15 points in a playoff win.

Gostkowski's future looks secure, however if you tune into sports talk radio.. it seems less so and is fodder for inane, pointless and endless discussion.

I got Gostkowski's back....if he'll stop missing those P.A.T.'s.....LOL!

You don’t go in as part of a team. It just lists the teams you played for and the years

I actually like that way better than the way baseball does it. That way wade Boggs wouldn’t go in as just a Tampa bay devil ray.

Adam won our first ever super bowl with a clutch kick not to mention the kicks he made in the snow bowl. That's what everyone remembers the most and dont remember his bad kicks. Ghost hasnt been in a position to win a super bowl on a 48 yard kick but even if he did it wouldn't be our first SB win.
There was that 52 yarder that BB didn't even let him attempt...

oh god why did I even go into this thread this topic just makes me upset

Gostkowski's future looks secure, however if you tune into sports talk radio.. it seems less so and is fodder for inane, pointless and endless discussion.

They call it sports talk radio but it isn't necessarily about sports and they talk about themselves more than anything. Time to shut them off for good.

They call it sports talk radio but it isn't necessarily about sports and they talk about themselves more than anything. Time to shut them off for good.

I sorta have, each day I give it a brief try.. but usually change the channel. It has morphed into bombastic, self promotion that centers around perpetuating "what they heard" or manufacturing a crisis rather than sports facts.. and what they do is perpetuated by the Boston print media.

Though very few seem to really grasp this, its true nonetheless: it’s better to miss an extra point than a field goal.

Player A goes 3/3 on extra points and 1/2 on field goals (both 45 yard attempts.)

Player B goes 1/3 on extra points and 2/2 on field goals (both 45 yard attempts.)

Player A receives no criticism and the miss is chalked up to “you can’t make ‘em all” but overall a good game. Player B receives extreme concern and criticism for missing extra points. Player A scored 6/9 possible points. Player B scored 7/9 possible points.

I sorta have, each day I give it a brief try.. but usually change the channel. It has morphed into bombastic, self promotion that centers around perpetuating "what they heard" or manufacturing a crisis rather than sports facts.. and what they do is perpetuated by the Boston print media.

I do the same thing now and then but it's a lost cause. It makes me appreciate what we had in the early days, when sports talk was actually about sports and they took calls from us. Unfortunately, the days of shows like The Sports Huddle are long gone.

Up until recently we could listen to Tom Brady do an interview every Monday of the season. I think Kirk Minibrain may have ended that when he kept pushing Brady the last time he did an interview. I hope I'm wrong about that.

I do the same thing now and then but it's a lost cause. It makes me appreciate what we had in the early days, when sports talk was actually about sports and they took calls from us. Unfortunately, the days of shows like The Sports Huddle are long gone.

Up until recently we could listen to Tom Brady do an interview every Monday of the season. I think Kirk Minibrain may have ended that when he kept pushing Brady the last time he did an interview. I hope I'm wrong about that.

Was out and about Sat. AM and turned on Sportstalk, some local wannabe was trying to fire up the listeners about how BB's texts to Jimmy G was a "fireable" offense.. needless to say that venture was short lived. This type of crap happens more often than it should, and has become the norm...

"A kicking savant"??? :D I know Curran is a bigtime Patriot jock sniffer but please.....
Gostkowski has a big leg and that's why he has lasted this long. In a big spot on the big stage he will pee down his leg.

"A kicking savant"??? :D I know Curran is a bigtime Patriot jock sniffer but please.....
Gostkowski has a big leg and that's why he has lasted this long. In a big spot on the big stage he will pee down his leg.
Hey, IP Daly, is that from your self-help book, Experience Flows, or your autobiography, Yellow River?

Or maybe its because he is the 3rd most accurate kicker in the NFL all time. Nahh it couldnt be that. You are right its probably just because he can kick the ball far.

Or maybe its because he is the 3rd most accurate kicker in the NFL all time. Nahh it couldnt be that. You are right its probably just because he can kick the ball far.

Always will be a big fan of AV, but detractors need to look at the real history rather than suffering from the halo effect with regard to careers with the Pats based on the big kicks. AV absolutely made big kicks. During his time with the Pats, before the XPs moved back, you rarely saw any misses (chip shot). The real numbers:

Regular Season:
FG FGA FGM XP XPA XPM
AV 321 263 81.9% 374 367 98.1%
Gost 388 340 87.6% 599 593 99%

Playoffs:

AV 34 26 76.5% 39 39 100%
Gost 38 34 89.8% 82 78 95.1%

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes