PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Crossen vs Dawson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tb12goesinya

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Any insight on why Dawson hasn't seen the field since coming back from IR? I know round drafted doesn't matter: Crossen(7th) Dawson(2nd), but it just makes me wonder the reality of the situation. Is it a matter of being a better player at this point, or has the injury taken away a chance for a rookie to be trusted after missing so much time?

I assume Crossen is much further along in conditioning and playbook due to him being active. Plus, Crossen is very physically gifted. He’s raw and needs experience to develope.

I assume it comes down to how good our top 3 corners are playing. Gil, JC, and Jmac are balling.

Then do Dawson and Crossen have enough STs skills to be one of the next corners?

Any insight on why Dawson hasn't seen the field since coming back from IR. I know round drafted doesn't matter Crossen(7th) Dawson(2nd) but it just makes me wonder the reality of the situation. Is it a matter of being a better player at this point or has the injury taken away a chance for a rookie to be trusted after missing so much time?

Not really an appropriate 1-to-1 comparison.

Dawson missed the last couple weeks of Camp and then the first 8 weeks of the regular season. Everybody else in the secondary is pretty much ahead of him now.

Crossen and Melifonwu have both shown ST capabilities (which Dawson may not have shown) and each got a few snaps in during recent games to prepare them for potential (dire) emergency roles (what the Pats typically do near the end of the regular season). Meanwhile, the CB combo of Gilmore, Jackson, JMac and Jon Jones has been working out very well - especially recently.

I don't think it's any slam on Dawson that not yet capable of beating out the guys ahead of him for an active roster spot. He's just behind, that's all. Maybe not by much.

Makes sense...if the CB situation wasn't so sound perhaps Dawson would be getting the call. Probably comes down to special teams and familiarity

Crossen ST > Dawson ST probably.

We have 7 defensive backs who should get ALL the defensive rep other than garbage time: McCourty, Chung, Harmon, Gilmore, Jackson, McCourty and Jones.
[I expect us to re-sign McCourty and tender or extend Jones].

None of the others needs to be active. other than for ST's, emergency backups and garbage time. I believe the order of ST quality is Crossen, Obiwann, and Dawson. [All 3 are under contract ofr 2019].

Under these circumstances, there is no reason for Dawson to be active.

We have the luxury of having an NFL CB and safety [if the liked his tryout] backing a full complement of CBs and a 3 man rotation at safety. Dawson will get his shot. [oops, props to Mgteich]

I'm hoping he's inactive because he missed so much time early on that he is behind. It's odd that they thought enough of him to bring him back from IR but not have him active. My guess would be JC Jackson's play and playtime have increased and they thought when Rowe went on IR they may need Dawson back. I am hoping this is just redshirt year and not another in the long line of Gator disasters or second round DB's.

I'm hoping he's inactive because he missed so much time early on that he is behind. It's odd that they thought enough of him to bring him back from IR but not have him active. My guess would be JC Jackson's play and playtime have increased and they thought when Rowe went on IR they may need Dawson back. I am hoping this is just redshirt year and not another in the long line of Gator disasters or second round DB's.
They probably brought him back from IR so they could continue to develop him rather than because they needed him to play.

Jackson is turning into a stud, JJones is still quite good, and JMac has fit in beautifully.

Just numbers. They brought him back from IR, so he's in the system and not losing a year. He and Crossen will be at war next year for a spot, especially if they resign JMac. Patriots are truly deep in the secondary.

Jackson is turning into a stud, JJones is still quite good, and JMac has fit in beautifully.

Just numbers. They brought him back from IR, so he's in the system and not losing a year. He and Crossen will be at war next year for a spot, especially if they resign JMac. Patriots are truly deep in the secondary.

Even if Crossen turns out to be only an ST stud, and Dawson earns more scrimmage time, it will be good.

Its just the BB special, a 2nd round DB, probably not even Dawsons fault, he was srcrewed the moment the selection was made.

And secondary wasn’t by a long shot a problem going into this past off season.

Just another wasted pick, I have 0 expectations of Dawson being anything better than Cyrus Jones for example.

Is this where to insert the thread with all the people freaking out before and during camp about CB2 being a position of need ?

Of course now that the added players worked out it was retroactively not a problem anymore. Obviously.

Its just the BB special, a 2nd round DB, probably not even Dawsons fault, he was srcrewed the moment the selection was made.

Just another wasted pick, I have 0 expectations of Dawson being anything better than Cyrus Jones for example.
There were questions at CB2. Thank God JC emerged

Florida Gators drafted by Bill:

Duke Dawson:
n0cfYDN.gif

Dominique Easley:
giphy.gif

Jon Halapio:
giphy.gif

Jermaine Cunningham:
embarassed-for-u.gif

Brandon Spikes:
alonzo-mourning-heat-upset-then-realization.gif

Aaron Hernandez:
tenor.gif

Chad Jackson:
9Lvv7Fq.gif

Jeremy Mincey:
tenor.gif

Gus Scott:
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Dawson is still essentially a "prospect" until he plays a snap in a real NFL game (not pre-season).

The way I look at it, BB took two shots at CB in April - Dawson and Jackson. One of them worked great, so whatever Dawson may contribute is gravy.

In terms of the "cost" - once you work through all the trades, BB got Dawson and Christian Sam for the cost of a mid 3rd (#81, to be exact),
PLUS the Pats got a 2019 2nd from CHI (likely #57 or later),
PLUS the Pats got a 2019 3rd from DET (#72).

Last edited:
Duke will have a major role on the 2019 Patriots, not the 2018 version though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots