PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Crossen vs Dawson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dawson is still essentially a "prospect" until he plays a snap in a real NFL game (not pre-season).

The way I look at it, BB took two shots at CB in April - Dawson and Jackson. One of them worked great, so whatever Dawson may contribute is gravy.

In terms of the "cost" - once you work through all the trades, BB got Dawson and Christian Sam for the cost of a mid 3rd (#81, to be exact),
PLUS a 2019 2nd from CHI (likely #57 or later),
PLUS a 2019 3rd from DET (#72).
I'm sorry you don't get a pass for missing on a second round pick (not saying that is the case yet) because you (potentially) hit on the same position with a UDFA.

I'm sorry you don't get a pass for missing on a second round pick (not saying that is the case yet) because you (potentially) hit on the same position with a UDFA.
If you look at last years draft there are very few rookies making an impact around spot Dawson was drafted, especially at our positions of need.

On the whole Florida Gator thing.. Trent Brown can make up for all of that.

If you look at last years draft there are very few rookies making an impact around spot Dawson was drafted, especially at our positions of need.

Dawson was drafted at #56.

Derrius Guice (#59) made a wonderful contribution to the 'Skins - by getting hurt and forcing them to sign "old man" Adrian Peterson, who responded with a full 16 game season, 1250 yards from scrimmage and 8 TDs.

BB activated Dawson and did not stash him which I take as a positive. With Dawson, Jackson, Crossen, and Melifonwu I think the future of CB and Strong Safety may be all set. We need a young Free Safety and to fill out the Front 7 - two LBs and two DLine. If we hit in the 2019 draft the defense will be restocked. A BIG "if" but we have six picks in the first three rounds.

If he was better than the other cbs he would be playing. BB has always said he wants his best players on the field so to not even play one snap is not a good sign of how his career will progress here.

If he was better than the other cbs he would be playing. BB has always said he wants his best players on the field so to not even play one snap is not a good sign of how his career will progress here.

Brady did not play his first year.^^

Trey Flowers was active for one game in his rookie season.

We have 7 defensive backs who should get ALL the defensive rep other than garbage time: McCourty, Chung, Harmon, Gilmore, Jackson, McCourty and Jones.
[I expect us to re-sign McCourty and tender or extend Jones].

None of the others needs to be active. other than for ST's, emergency backups and garbage time. I believe the order of ST quality is Crossen, Obiwann, and Dawson. [All 3 are under contract ofr 2019].

Under these circumstances, there is no reason for Dawson to be active.
After a good season, McCourty will command a large pay adjustment upward.
The brotherly love thing won't work two years in a row.

The Pats thought enough of Dawson that they brought him back to the active roster for the practice experience when they certainly didn't need to, and when they could have added another RB or other offensive weapon instead.

After a good season, McCourty will command a large pay adjustment upward.
The brotherly love thing won't work two years in a row.

Not necessarily. Statistically speaking, his 2018 with the Pats hasn't been any better than his 2017 with the Browns, or his 2016 with the Titans. I mean, it's not like playing on the Pats defense in 2018 suddenly revealed that he's a very good CB.

Plus, he turns 32 in the middle of 2019 Camp.

He might sign on for another year or two at $3M AAV, especially if the Pats extend Devin thru 2020 to reduce his 2019 cap hit.

BB activated Dawson and did not stash him which I take as a positive. With Dawson, Jackson, Crossen, and Melifonwu I think the future of CB and Strong Safety may be all set. We need a young Free Safety and to fill out the Front 7 - two LBs and two DLine. If we hit in the 2019 draft the defense will be restocked. A BIG "if" but we have six picks in the first three rounds.

It's not out of the question that Dawson could be groomed for one of the "safety" roles, considering that DMac hasn't played a "pure" safety role in a couple-three years.

Trent Brown very well could be playing elsewhere with a new contract next year.

Trey Flowers was active for one game in his rookie season.

Yes but Dawson is competing against two other rookies. Brady against $100mill Bledsoe and Flowers against other veterans, plus they both did well when they played. I have nothing against Dawson but it just looks like another Cyrus Jones signing.

I have nothing against Dawson but it just looks like another Cyrus Jones signing.

How do you come to that view? What makes you think that? You could be right but I can not see any tangible indication to confirm your view. What am I missing?

Why are folks choosing between these players for 2019. They should both make the team

CB: Gilmore, Jackson, Jones, Dawson, Crossen and hopefully McCourty

Yes but Dawson is competing against two other rookies. Brady against $100mill Bledsoe and Flowers against other veterans, plus they both did well when they played. I have nothing against Dawson but it just looks like another Cyrus Jones signing.
Dawson was a panic move on the part of the Patriots. The Patriots made a series of downward trades in the 2nd round. Then, there was a run on cornerbacks which
forced them to trade up for Dawson.

How do you come to that view? What makes you think that? You could be right but I can not see any tangible indication to confirm your view. What am I missing?

I watched both of them in college and there wasn’t anything that really indicated they were 2nd rd level talent. Not too fast or athletic. Both starting off hurt or not playing. It is just the same trajectory, I would like to be wrong but these 2nd round C.B. picks just haven’t been anything special.

Many players sat a year or a great portion of one. To say BB is likely to play a rookie over an effective veteran would be false IMO.

OTOH, you shouldn't be criticized for a pick without a significant injury history who ends up on IR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back