PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could you hear the crowd last night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next time I bump into Kraft I'm going to lay some stadium improvement plans on him...He always considers what I present to him graciously :D

I wonder if a lower level decibel measuring sound meter board would be appropriate?

At 5:36 of this video is the Party Air Horn.....small and produces loudest noise recorded in this experiment just by blowing into it......If any Patriot fan plans on attending the Super Bowl, get one to take to the game...heck, it could make a difference ala Seattle's stadium crowd....

decibel measuring sound meter at sports stadiums - Search Yahoo Video Search Results

Season ticket holder for 23 years. Loudest and sustained crowd I ever heard at Gillette. Not only that but it was a giant love in. People hugging each other all game. This one guy hugged me so often I sent him an edible arrangement the next day :)

Literally the only time I can remember the crowd not cheering was when PIT had the ball on the 1st down of the goal line stand before halftime. We all thought they would score. But after the 1st down stop we started feeling it

I really don't understand what you're failing to grasp here.
Tell that to your mirror. I've specified the problem with crowd noise acoustics unique to Gillette compared with other NFL stadiums. It's all a matter of degree. Again, of course -- Gillette can get extremely loud during playoff games which would be even louder in a conventionally designed building. Regular-season games in Foxboro would be just as loud as regular-season games in Buffalo, Cleveland or Tampa given similar stadium design. It's the building, not the crowd.

I've been to every single game in Gillette since it opened. I've also been to NFL games in Pittsburgh, Tampa, Chicago, Seattle, San Diego, Buffalo, Houston, Phoenix, Minnesota, Jacksonville, New Jersey, Baltimore and D.C. I know what I'm talking about. It's not the crowd, it's the stadium. The building makes all the difference

Tell that to your mirror. I've specified the problem with crowd noise acoustics unique to Gillette compared with other NFL stadiums. It's all a matter of degree. Again, of course -- Gillette can get extremely loud during playoff games which would be even louder in a conventionally designed building. Regular-season games in Foxboro would be just as loud as regular-season games in Buffalo, Cleveland or Tampa given similar stadium design. It's the building, not the crowd.

I've been to every single game in Gillette since it opened. I've also been to NFL games in Pittsburgh, Tampa, Chicago, Seattle, San Diego, Buffalo, Houston, Phoenix, Minnesota, Jacksonville, New Jersey, Baltimore and D.C. I know what I'm talking about. It's not the crowd, it's the stadium. The building makes all the difference

I tell my mirror that I've never seen anything so gorgeous in my life and not much else outside of that. Look, this isn't that difficult: if the acoustics were truly the problem, the stadium would sound quiet no matter what game or week it is. In this case, we've seen multiple times that the stadium is capable of getting loud just as we've seen other times when you can hear a morbidly obese slob in the fifth row rip one. It's the crowd. It sucks sometimes and it doesn't other times. It's the unintended consequence of pricing out the rabid drunks even before that horrific end zone lounge went in. But the acoustics are not the main source of the problem. They're just a copout used by guys on the internet that get REALLY defensive when someone broaches this subject. The crowd sucks ass sometimes. It happens. Lower the ticket prices a bit and I bet you most home games would sound like the AFCCG.

I tell my mirror that I've never seen anything so gorgeous in my life and not much else outside of that. Look, this isn't that difficult: if the acoustics were truly the problem, the stadium would sound quiet no matter what game or week it is. In this case, we've seen multiple times that the stadium is capable of getting loud just as we've seen other times when you can hear a morbidly obese slob in the fifth row rip one. It's the crowd. It sucks sometimes and it doesn't other times. It's the unintended consequence of pricing out the rabid drunks even before that horrific end zone lounge went in. But the acoustics are not the main source of the problem. They're just a copout used by guys on the internet that get REALLY defensive when someone broaches this subject. The crowd sucks ass sometimes. It happens. Lower the ticket prices a bit and I bet you most home games would sound like the AFCCG.

Yup, the key was that prices for AFCCG tix were so low. Wait, what?

Yup, the key was that prices for AFCCG tix were so low. Wait, what?
Try reading the discussion again and then perhaps you can come to the realization that we aren't, and haven't been, discussing the atmosphere for playoff games but are instead using them as a basis for comparison. Best of luck to you in your journey.

Obviously people can get very loud there, but that doesn't mean the stadium is well-designed for loudness. This illustration is an oversimplification but shows effects, on sound waves, of angle between the wall and the field, and of having a HUGE PIECE OF THE WALL missing. Sound escapes faster in certain cases, versus being forced to stay inside the stadium.

Having a dome also would make it louder is my guess.

Uh3Gfzb.png

Last edited:
Obviously people can get very loud there, but that doesn't mean the stadium is well-designed for loudness. This illustration is an oversimplification but shows effects, on sound waves, of angle between the wall and the field, and of having a HUGE PIECE OF THE WALL missing. Sound escapes faster in certain cases, versus being forced to stay inside the stadium.

Having a dome also would make it louder is my guess.

Uh3Gfzb.png

Of course it would be possible to get louder if the end of the stadium was completely closed off (and they didn't put that idiotic lounge in the end zone) but the stadium can still get very loud. Again, we've seen that time and time again. When it doesn't get loud, the acoustics of the stadium don't suddenly change. Neither do the laws of physics. It's the crowd at the particular game.

But you don't actually go to the games, Kontra. You live in Florida and watch them on television -- have you ever been to Gillette and other NFL stadiums to form a basis of comparison? This "pink hat wine and cheese crowd" argument is a nonstarter. You're confusing that with club seat placement on the second-tier central sidelines flanked by large open "skylight" areas (four) contributing to the acoustical anomaly of an open lower bowl. NO OTHER NFL STADIUM IS STRUCTURED LIKE THIS! Add the open north end zone lighthouse area, Putnam Lounge open lower south end zone, high-vaulted top 300 level above private boxes all to a comparatively "flat" stadium footprint and you have a building where crowd noise doesn't naturally concentrate.

Yes, it gets louder during playoff games like it does in every other stadium. If Gillette was structured like other stadiums it would be EVEN LOUDER still and you wouldn't have this false belief that the crowd is to blame for what your television speakers convey during regular-season games. The crowds in NFL cities are pretty uniform across the board and how loud a place gets depends on its acoustical structure more than anything.

Sorry, Tunie, you and Kontra are BOTH right.

I agree with you that Kraft built a mostly noise eating stadium, but there is no putting any lipstick on the pig of so many people sitting on their azzes and telling me to sit down while the other QB is trying to set his line. I've only been to regular season games and none of those was anything like Sunday night.

It was obvious that just about everyone was STANDING throughout much of the Pittsburgh game. That has nothing to do with sound. The crowd Sunday night was dialed in. You didn't need sound to know that - - they were standing, jumping up and down - - hell it LOOKED like a Denver/KC crowd. There were several instances of endzone shots at Roethlisberger calling signals and you saw folks in the end zone behind him going beserk - - THAT is beautiful. Usually in the regular season those people are socializing or looking at their watches - - and that is just pathetic. It's a result of the team's success. The NE fans do not really get "up" anymore unless it is a playoff game or Suggsy is in town.

The regular season games I have gone to (about once per year) most folks are more dialed in to their after game tailgating plans or whether to beat the Route 1 traffic. Its's a great party atmosphere in the tailgating lots - - way better than Fedex Field or Met Life or M+T - - but THAT'S the problem. By time folks get inside, they are either sloshed or nice and belly-satisfied.

If I wasn't there with my kids and being slightly north of 50, I'd want to fight each and every one of 'em for taking up space and deadening the experience.

Sunday night was awesome though - - THAT'S a crowd I'll salute.

Last edited:
This game definitely did not sound like your normal Patriots game. E.g., the Seattle game was sort of embarrassing. This one made my hair stand on edge. Kudos to everyone that was there.

Shmess...if THIS season is any indication, the memo about telling people to sit down reached the jerks who have no business attending football games. The fact is one almost has to stand to stand the entire game to even SEE the field. The only times I've sat the last few months have been during breaks and time outs.

Sorry, Tunie, you and Kontra are BOTH right.

I agree with you that Kraft built a mostly noise eating stadium, but there is no putting any lipstick on the pig of so many people sitting on their azzes and telling me to sit down while the other QB is trying to set his line. I've only been to regular season games and none of those was anything like Sunday night.

It was obvious that just about everyone was STANDING throughout much of the Pittsburgh game. That has nothing to do with sound. The crowd Sunday night was dialed in. You didn't need sound to know that - - they were standing, jumping up and down - - hell it LOOKED like a Denver/KC crowd. There were several instances of endzone shots at Roethlisberger calling signals and you saw folks in the end zone behind him going beserk - - THAT is beautiful. Usually in the regular season those people are socializing or looking at their watches - - and that is just pathetic. It's a result of the team's success. The NE fans do not really get "up" anymore unless it is a playoff game or Suggsy is in town.

The regular season games I have gone to (about once per year) most folks are more dialed in to their after game tailgating plans or whether to beat the Route 1 traffic. Its's a great party atmosphere in the tailgating lots - - way better than Fedex Field or Met Life or M+T - - but THAT'S the problem. By time folks get inside, they are either sloshed or nice and belly-satisfied.

If I wasn't there with my kids and being slightly north of 50, I'd want to fight each and every one of 'em for taking up space and deadening the experience.

Sunday night was awesome though - - THAT'S a crowd I'll salute.
Everyone has an "opinion" of the Gillette crowd. I don't know where your seats have been but in my section (227) during regular season games people routinely stand and yell when the Pats are on defense and sit when they're on offense. But never is anyone hollered at to sit down; if someone in front of me wants to stand up I stand up to see around them and that's the way it should be. I don't know where you get this complaint of people socializing and looking at their watches -- that might happen occasionally, like when I see girls gabbing and looking at their smartphones instead of the field -- but it doesn't typify the Patriots fan base. (If you want to see folks REALLY not into it go to a Red Sox game, where people sit and read the newspaper.) I do notice a minor difference in the crowd during early season games (fewer regulars) and regular season night games (younger) but honestly, Pats fans by and large are no different than any other NFL fan base.

Same here. Voice is just starting to recover. I was in section 143 and it was raccus. I'm glad I was able to be a part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes