PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could you hear the crowd last night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching it on TV I never heard the Gillette crowd so loud. EVER. People were like blowing whistles in the stands lol.. Very loud.

It was very loud. As I said in another thread, games like that put the "acoustics" argument to rest.
No they don't, not at all. With reasonable acoustics (an enclosed lower bowl, etc.) the noise would be even stronger. Stadiums that have a rep for loudest crowds -- Seattle, Kansas City, etc. -- benefit more from having the right type of acoustics vs. better fan bases.

Falcons fans don't travel that well do they?

This is true + their fanbase in general isn't really the most passionate.

That being said, our fanbase has had 7 SB trip opportunities since 2001, this is only the second time in their franchise's history their there, so it might be a hotter ticket in Atlanta than New England.

No they don't, not at all. With reasonable acoustics (an enclosed lower bowl, etc.) the noise would be even stronger. Stadiums that have a rep for loudest crowds -- Seattle, Kansas City, etc. -- benefit more from having the right type of acoustics vs. better fan bases.
Yes, it does. The divisional round and AFCCG, along with past games, prove that the stadium can get very loud (exceptionally loud, even) if the fans are into it. The acoustics excuse has been put to bed as what it is - a load of crap. If the acoustics were truly the problem, as opposed to a significant section of the stadium being a "wine and cheese" crowd, the stadium would have never been able to get that loud. It is what it is. The crowd just sucks during regular season games sometimes.

They got loud for Bon Jovi. The rest the game they were way too late to affect the steelers offense. They
Were just as loud when we had the ball.

They got loud for Bon Jovi. The rest the game they were way too late to affect the steelers offense. They
Just rewatched the entire game last night after DVRing it. On my TV Brady's voice was clear as a bell on signal calls ("Jordon", "Alert", etc.) The crowd seemed appropriately quiet all night when we were on offense and extremely loud when we were on defense.

Did not hear the chants or singing, but noticed how loud the crowd is.. otoh the broadcast network can regulate the volume of just about any noise, and Sunday nite they allowed the noise to filter through..

Zolak is creating a nice "niche" for himself..

Thank god no "Sweet Caroline"...

Good job fans..

Yes, it does. The divisional round and AFCCG, along with past games, prove that the stadium can get very loud (exceptionally loud, even) if the fans are into it. The acoustics excuse has been put to bed as what it is - a load of crap. If the acoustics were truly the problem, as opposed to a significant section of the stadium being a "wine and cheese" crowd, the stadium would have never been able to get that loud. It is what it is. The crowd just sucks during regular season games sometimes.
But you don't actually go to the games, Kontra. You live in Florida and watch them on television -- have you ever been to Gillette and other NFL stadiums to form a basis of comparison? This "pink hat wine and cheese crowd" argument is a nonstarter. You're confusing that with club seat placement on the second-tier central sidelines flanked by large open "skylight" areas (four) contributing to the acoustical anomaly of an open lower bowl. NO OTHER NFL STADIUM IS STRUCTURED LIKE THIS! Add the open north end zone lighthouse area, Putnam Lounge open lower south end zone, high-vaulted top 300 level above private boxes all to a comparatively "flat" stadium footprint and you have a building where crowd noise doesn't naturally concentrate.

Yes, it gets louder during playoff games like it does in every other stadium. If Gillette was structured like other stadiums it would be EVEN LOUDER still and you wouldn't have this false belief that the crowd is to blame for what your television speakers convey during regular-season games. The crowds in NFL cities are pretty uniform across the board and how loud a place gets depends on its acoustical structure more than anything.

But you don't actually go to the games, Kontra. You live in Florida and watch them on television -- have you ever been to Gillette and other NFL stadiums to form a basis of comparison? This "pink hat wine and cheese crowd" argument is a nonstarter. You're confusing that with club seat placement on the second-tier central sidelines flanked by large open "skylight" areas (four) contributing to the acoustical anomaly of an open lower bowl. NO OTHER NFL STADIUM IS STRUCTURED LIKE THIS! Add the open north end zone lighthouse area, Putnam Lounge open lower south end zone, high-vaulted top 300 level above private boxes all to a comparatively "flat" stadium footprint and you have a building where crowd noise doesn't naturally concentrate.

Yes, it gets louder during playoff games like it does in every other stadium. If Gillette was structured like other stadiums it would be EVEN LOUDER still and you wouldn't have this false belief that the crowd is to blame for what your television speakers convey during regular-season games. The crowds in NFL cities are pretty uniform across the board and how loud a place gets depends on its acoustical structure more than anything.
Agreed. Come to one of those regular season games and see for yourself.

But you don't actually go to the games, Kontra. You live in Florida and watch them on television --

And, again, are you saying that noise either doesn't travel through to television or selectively doesn't travel through to it. In 2017? Really. It's an interesting, if not flimsy, argument to make.

have you ever been to Gillette

Many times. I've also been to Foxboro.

and other NFL stadiums to form a basis of comparison?

Yep. Aside from Everbank, they've all been louder than any regular season game that I've been to at Gillette. For Christ's sake, you could hear Flacco's cadence during the Ravens game. Came through the broadcast crystal clear. That's an absolute embarrassment.

This "pink hat wine and cheese crowd" argument is a nonstarter.

LOL, are you banking on me never having been to Gillette with this statement? It's really not as anybody that has ever been to the stadium can tell you.

You're confusing that with club seat placement on the second-tier central sidelines flanked by large open "skylight" areas (four) contributing to the acoustical anomaly of an open lower bowl. NO OTHER NFL STADIUM IS STRUCTURED LIKE THIS! Add the open north end zone lighthouse area, Putnam Lounge open lower south end zone, high-vaulted top 300 level above private boxes all to a comparatively "flat" stadium footprint and you have a building where crowd noise doesn't naturally concentrate.

I really don't understand what you're failing to grasp here. If the acoustics were TRULY the problem, the stadium would NEVER be able to get as loud as it was the last two Sundays or, for example, games like the 45-3 game against the Jets in 2010 or the ass whipping they delivered to the Bengals in 2014. It just wouldn't happen. Could it get louder? Probably. But the acoustics are good enough to hear that the noise was near deafening in the examples I've tossed out. It is what it is. The acoustics aren't the central problem when the crowd is quiet. It's the crowd. And, at the cost that it takes to buy a ticket to see the Pats, I'm not surprised. Why this has always chapped your ass, I'll never understand. The crowd sucks ass sometimes. That's not an indictment on you as I'm sure you scream every weekend. But the argument is over. The "acoustics" excuse is merely a cop out.

Agreed. Come to one of those regular season games and see for yourself.

I've been to quite a few regular season games at Gillette, Deb. The crowd was better in some weeks that I was there and piss poor in other weeks.

Kontra-

The idea that a stadium that is less able to contain or direct crowd noise would never get loud is, I think, the basis of the disagreement here. Sure it can still get loud, it is just much harder to make it happen in that stadium. The other variable is weather. That will affect how sound travels as well. For example: snow acts like an acoustic tile.

How Weather Affects an Outdoor Noise Study | Acoustics By Design
First of all, wind alters sound propagation by the mechanism of refraction; that is, wind bends sound waves. Wind nearer to the ground moves more slowly than wind at higher altitudes, due to surface characteristics such as hills, trees, and man-made structures that interfere with the wind. This wind gradient, with faster wind at higher elevation and slower wind at lower elevation causes sound waves to bend downward when they are traveling to a location downwind of the source and to bend upward when traveling toward a location upwind of the source. Waves bending downward means that a listener standing downwind of the source will hear louder noise levels than the listener standing upwind of the source. This phenomenon can significantly impact sound propagation over long distances and when wind speeds are high.
Another factor that can impact sound propagation over long distances is temperature gradients in the atmosphere. On a typical sunny afternoon, air is warmest near the ground and temperature decreases at higher altitudes. This temperature gradient causes sound waves to refract upward, away from the ground and results in lower noise levels being heard at the listener’s position. In the evening, this temperature gradient will reverse, resulting in cooler temperatures near the ground. This condition, often referred to is a temperature inversion will cause sound to bend downward toward the ground and results in louder noise levels at the listener position. Like wind gradients, temperature gradients can influence sound propagation over long distances and further complicate measurements.

Obviously you weren't there

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes