PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could we see a rd 2 of the 2007 AFCCG ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually track my wine consumption in "bottles". It just seems easier to count the number of empties than to try to remember "glasses".

Just one box. That sounds better.

Yep, we didn’t have any business leaving SD with a victory that day. That was crazy.

Head this week that Brady has never had such a bad supporting cast in terms of receivers.

He forgets that in 2006, we had Troy Brown (at the end of his career) and Reche Caldwell/Jabar Gaffney. I would take Edelman, Dorsett, Hogan over that crew.

That being said, the Patriots should have been SB champs that year. Totally jobbed by the refs in the Indianapolis game.

If the Chargers and Colts both win this weekend, the Chargers will be our division round opponent.

Head this week that Brady has never had such a bad supporting cast in terms of receivers.

He forgets that in 2006, we had Troy Brown (at the end of his career) and Reche Caldwell/Jabar Gaffney. I would take Edelman, Dorsett, Hogan over that crew.

That being said, the Patriots should have been SB champs that year. Totally jobbed by the refs in the Indianapolis game.

I'm convinced that their sorry excuse for a receiving corp in 2006 caused them to over-compensated the other way in 2007...bringing in Randy Moss, Wes Welker, and Donte Stallworth. Talk about instant upgrade!

Morons on WEEI were saying the same thing and they have no idea what they are talking about.

I'm convinced that their sorry excuse for a receiving corp in 2006 caused them to over-compensated the other way in 2007...bringing in Randy Moss, Wes Welker, and Donte Stallworth. Talk about instant upgrade!

I don't think its so much "over-compensated", as the fact that all of the acquisitions worked out. Remember, Randy Moss was coming off a season where he had only 553 yards and a 43.8% catch rate :eek:. Wes Welker had never had more than 700 yards receiving in a season.

For 2018 the Patriots brought in Kenny Britt(same age as 2007 Moss, 2 years removed from 1000 yards receiving) and Jordan Matthews(3 800+ seasons to start his career before being banished to Buffalo in 2017). And added Josh Gordon in season.

Arguably the 2018 Patriots added more than the 2007 Patriots, and started with a higher floor, the issue is non of the 2018 WR acquisitions worked out.

There’s only one thing that’s for certain. It’s going to be ugly in the playoffs. Not for us but just in general in the afc. I don’t see a shiny example of football perfection this year

Yea id say 2006 was their best team, but somehow the 2007 version made it further
I'd take their 07 team. Better pass defense and they showed toughness by winning two playoff games and playing hard in NE.

I'd take their 07 team. Better pass defense and they showed toughness by winning two playoff games and playing hard in NE.

You have a much better memory than i lol cant remember anything about their pass d. Just remembered they were like 14-2 in 2006 and were playing wild card weekend in 2007.

You have a much better memory than i lol cant remember anything about their pass d. Just remembered they were like 14-2 in 2006 and were playing wild card weekend in 2007.

I just go by the playoff success. 06 was a great regular season team but pooped their pants vs NE.

In 07 playoffs they abused Vince Young (who didn't) Abused Peyton in Indy and picked him off a ton and in NE picked off Tom 3 times.

EDIT: I just looked. They were 11-5 in 07 and won their last 6. After starting 1-3 they allowed 15ppg over their remaining 15 games. They had 30 picks as a team..sheesh.

I have an alternative perspective. I love this team as it is both for its imperfections as for its areas of domination.
This team could beat any team but you couldn’t say how. That’s a cool thing

Doug Gabriel :confused:

That was the next-to-last season for the 2003-04 defense playing together, IIRC.

Correctamundo. That's why I feel that there's one era (the Brady era) but it's divided into two sub-eras (2001-2008 and 2009-2018) with the difference being a stronger defense in the first era.

Correctamundo. That's why I feel that there's one era (the Brady era) but it's divided into two sub-eras (2001-2008 and 2009-2018) with the difference being a stronger defense in the first era.

And a completely different defense.

The transitions from a 3-4 front to a hybrid 4-man front, and from primarily zone-read coverages with occasional use of nickel coverage to a mix of man-coverage/pattern-matching with a default 5 DBs also took place from 2009-2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back