PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could the Lions be a target?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Patriots could also look at Mike Johnson from Alabama for the RG position. Johnson has played every position on the line but C. He's a team leader and and rarely gets surprised by a blitz.

Good call. Wasn't he the one who was manhandling Brandon Spikes in the SEC Championship?

Let me stir the pot a little bit. Yes, i would trade, BUT I would give up the #22 pick for Calvin Johnson and one of their 5th rounders :D.

Let me stir the pot a little bit. Yes, i would trade, BUT I would give up the #22 pick for Calvin Johnson and one of their 5th rounders :D.

Yep. I also have a chance of hooking up with Jessica Alba.

By season's end, we had three 2009 draftees starting. I think that this is more than "rooting for potential"

I didn't mean rookies solely, but as an entire team. It seemed like everyone hoped that every player would take a step forward last season and then it never happened. If the biggest off season transaction is signing some rookies then I truly wont' be looking forward to the upcoming season like I have in years past.

I didn't mean rookies solely, but as an entire team. It seemed like everyone hoped that every player would take a step forward last season and then it never happened. If the biggest off season transaction is signing some rookies then I truly wont' be looking forward to the upcoming season like I have in years past.

Agreed. I think Bill's method for areas of real weakness is to sign 2 FAs and draft a guy. Last year he signed Springs and Bodden, and drafted Butler. He also signed Galloway, traded for Lewis, drafted Tate and Edelman. For LB he signed TBC, Lennin, traded for Burgess,gave Teddy another go, drafted McKenzie. Similar moves were done at oline, special teams and RB. That is Bill's M.O. The see what sticks method.

Some aquisitions worked out, most of the FAs ones did not. I think he will try to get experienced playmakers and I hope for more success this year.

Would we consider a first next year for that trade up?

Consider the defense which was #5 in scoring defense and certainly a top defense. Consider this defense without Bodden, Banta-Cain, McGowan, and Burgess (yes even Burgess). These were all important additions who played in over 50% of the defensive reps.
Add Butler, who was our nickel, and you have a very reasonable set of additions, almost all free agents.

I understand that this doesn't sit well with the Peppers or bust folks, but these choices were very reasonable and were a very reasonable use of cap monies.

I just hope that we do as well with 2010 acquisitions on the defensive side of the ball.
=================================================================
It is on the offensive side of the ball that we need help, partly because we didn't do much in 2009 eith our free agent acquisitions of baker, taylor, Smith, Lewis and Galloway.

The need on the offensive side in even greater in 2010. We still need two receivers to start the season. We still could use a running back. We still need a starting TE. And we could use a veteran G/C. Those weren the needs in 2010. Those were the needs in 2009.

I would do the trade.

That value chart is fool's gold this year since this is such a deep draft and the 3rd round pick should have more value than what the chart reads, so a pick at the top of the third round for a drop of 10 slots is MORE than worth it.

Iupati looks great and will surely make some team very happy, but the fact remains: we need a pass rush, we need DEs and OLBs, we need WRs, and we need an ILB.

If the Patriots somehow landed Karlos Dansby, this would open up the draft and allow Belichick the luxury of taking a guy like Iupati, because then he could focus his other picks on needs, but given the current needs, I don't think you can take a guard in the first round. Too many holes to fill more important than guard.

In 2007 Koppen, mankins and Light went to the Pro Bowl, and it wasn't because they used to be so much better than they are now. It's because Brady had more weapons and got the ball out sooner. Just like a pass rush makes CBs look 10x better, WRs make the offensive line look 10x better.

Good post sir! Get a Dansby and the Draft is going a different way for the Pats. You would need a veteran WR to upgrade over Aiken plus a WR. Tate is too big of a question mark to pencil him in. I like Jereme Urban. 6'3" and 207 with blazing speed, 34 catches at 13.2 YPC , 4 TD's and the best stat 19 first downs (55%) in those 34 catches in 2008. He had six catches in the 2008 Playoffs. He was a stand out ST guy and a better option than we have past Edelman including the unknown Tate who could be another Crable Red Cross posterboy. Only 18 Catches in 2009 but missed 6 games with an injury, now healed. Why? because he would be a value WR and inexpensive so we can spend on Dansby and perhaps a Aaron Kampman DE/LB.
DW Toys

The Patriots could also look at Mike Johnson from Alabama for the RG position. Johnson has played every position on the line but C. He's a team leader and and rarely gets surprised by a blitz.

I agree 100%. This kid explodes off the line with a flat back and moves people off the LOS. In pass protection he can sink his hips and uses his hands fairly well.

Plus he has experience in a zone blocking scheme, something that should appeal to BB.

IIn 2007 Koppen, mankins and Light went to the Pro Bowl, and it wasn't because they used to be so much better than they are now. It's because Brady had more weapons and got the ball out sooner.

This is similar to what I have been saying for a long time. Our O Line sometimes gets a bad rep because BB has a stable of either dancers or old mules for RB's. Our O Line has to hold their blocks longer than any O Line in football, because our RB's are either dancing in the backfield or taking forever to get those 30 plus year old legs going.

Give our O Line guys a chance, put a real RB with some speed and courage back there and let's see how muc better they look. Right now no defense fears our ancient stable of past their prime runners. So the defenses gear up for the pass and if they happen to run into a dancing Maroney or an ancient RB gasping for air on the way to Brady, so much the better.

It's all about playmakers vs. nap takers.

Johnson would be a fine addition.

We would start camp with
Light, Mankins, Koppen, Kaczur, Vollmer
LeVoir, Johnson, Orhnberger, Connolly/Wendell

I agree 100%. This kid explodes off the line with a flat back and moves people off the LOS. In pass protection he can sink his hips and uses his hands fairly well.

Plus he has experience in a zone blocking scheme, something that should appeal to BB.

Now that's funny! We don't have starting RG. Arguably, the best RG in the draft is available when we pick. Instead of celebrating or picking a top OLB or DE, we trade down?

And BTW, I'm at all sure who is the best RG at the moment. I am just noting the consensus.

HOWEVER, this is certainly Bill's kind of move. Trade 22 for 34 and 66 (Detriot's second pick in the 2nd and 3rd rounds).

Thank you.
This is what a lot of us fans don't get. We have a need and its there for the taking and we pass and trade down for Value. This is why we have slipped the last few years. Draft a player who can help you if he's there on your pick.
We need top players not value players.
I already figure BB will trade our #22 back.

If you were BB, and the Lions came calling, what would you ask for in return for #22?

No less than their #2 and #3 this draft. Having four 2nd-rounders and one 3rd-rounder means the Pats would have 5 picks from #34 to the second pick of round three. It's very easy to list 5 players who fit the Pats in that range of picks. Most, if not all of the five could contribute this season, with hopefully at least one being an impact player.

I'd do the trade, only because I'm not enamored with who (I think) will be available at #22. Of course there are a few prospects who I can see BB selecting there, but no one I would call a difference maker (for this season).

My #1 ranked OG for the Pats, and IMO a legitimate target in round two.

Ya that sounds about right, pass on the first round talent pick up an extra 4th rounder and a guy that will be playing for another team after two years on our PS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes