PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coronavirus RESPECTFUL Discussion Only! (Mod edit: Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, the political forum is back, I use to have so much fun on it. Anyways heres a list of BS Trumpty Dumpty has said since January...

• SNIP

• And this doesn't include all the BS he spread over the past week

So you have nothing of substance to add to the discussion...gotcha.

It has a similar shape to the flu or cold viruses. It will not have only an impact comparable to a seasonal flu by anybody's projections.

It might be "just the Flu" like the 1918 Spanish Flu was "just the Flu," if that is what you mean. Is it?

I don't have that data. What I will observe the more infectious it is with the number of fatalities we observe, the lower the fatality rate. So as we test and see a higher number of infections that will indicate a lower fatality rate.

Compared the the previous administrations inaction on H1N1 it is brilliant. Obama did NOTHING for 6 months Jack.

CDC has a timeline/post-mortem/forensic analysis of H1N1 up at its site - it's been there all along.

Timeline of cases, timeline of testing, timeline of spread, timeline of containment - all of it.

You are so incredibly mistaken here, if you ever bother to read the whole story of H1N1, you should hate everyone who previously informed you of your current opinion.

Don’t bother. The point has been explained to him countless times, he has chosen to ignore it.

And you don’t understand the U.S.’ role in the world economy versus South Korea. You can’t just shut things down even though thats what I would like to have done in a perfect world. It isn’t though, so I will just assume you don’t know much about geopolitical politics or the world economy or even this virus itself. By the time it was reported in China it was here already, except it was in its asymptomatic stage.

All decisions are made in regard to the well being of the people as well as do the best you can to not have another stock market crash. As it stands now, major industries ie the airlines are holding on by a thread for instance. There is a lot more at play than “look South Korea did this!”.

I am concerned with the attitude of some on this board. They would so quickly turn into lawless criminals and rob their neighbors. Seriously, WTF is wrong with you people.

It doesn’t change anything when you look at the most densely populated centers of each country and compare methods and results.

I don’t get what you’re missing but it’s a pretty simple comparison to make and then see which is an effective model vs which isn’t an effective model.
S Korea : 100 000 km^2
USA : almost 10 000 000 km^2

But I suppose he/she IS right about the numbers. You are clearly better understanding population density than he/she.

Even when you look at the numbers, just because your country is more populous - my statement (that 51M people is not insignificant) still rings true.

Last edited:
”this” meaning tired of being on lockdown, media reporting every death and putting it on the score board, media starting the “panic buying” hysteria, businesses closing.

This can not go on for very long or economy will collapse.

I wouldn't stress about the economy too much. Remember everything is relative. All countries are taking a hit.

The US is prepared better than any other country to take an economic hit, and also recover faster.

Think of it like WW2. Economically it sucked, but it's also what allowed us to become THE superpower.

I wouldn't doubt if the US recovers faster than most after this and becomes even stronger.

Regarding the news, it's important to get the facts. donny won't give 'em to us. Plus it's simple enough to ignore it if you don't feel the need to stay up to date.

To each their own.

I am concerned with the attitude of some on this board. They would so quickly turn into lawless criminals and rob their neighbors. Seriously, WTF is wrong with you people.

Wait... I thought that was a Patriot fan requirement.

Ha, I joke.

I am not dismissing it. What I am saying our economy affects the entire world. Just shutting everything down before you need to would cause worldwide issues. It isn’t as easy as pointing to one country's response versus another's.

My theory is we are all going to get it no matter what especially if you are in a big city. It is all about limiting wholesale exposure while keeping deaths at a minimum.
Has the point about the hospital capacity been comprehended by you yet? This virus spreads very fast, our hospitals are already getting stretched thin. Drastic measures must be taken to prevent potentially millions of deaths. And it needs to happen now not in a week or two weeks.

The economic impact is very unfortunate and devastating but the economy would be tanking whether we are in lockdown or not.

More irresponsible journalism from the Atlantic.

The Crisis Could Last 18 Months. Be Prepared.

Written by a former Obama Admin official. Read to the last sentence and you get this: “But I expect to be in these sweats for at least another month—and I’m planning for two.”

How is this “irresponsible” journalism? The only thing you’ve managed to identify is that it was written by a former Obama official, which is not convincing at all given Kayyem’s background and reputation.

I really didn't want to bother jumping into the "orange man didn't have enough tests!!" back and forth. But I just have to ask, how many asymptomatic carriers and people with sore throats and muscle aches do you all think would have got a test in the last month (other than the last week)?

I live in a jurisdiction that has been in the top 5 for coronavirus test per capita in the world for awhile now. We were all told early on that coronavirus symptoms are (1) fever; (2) shortness of breath; and (3) cough. Where I live, you had to prove those symptoms to get a test (notwithstanding our abundance of tests).

Now we know coronavirus may lead to a whole host of symptoms, including a regular old sore throat. And the majority of people don't exhibit symptoms. All those people didn't get tested, and despite having a wealth of tests available, our numbers are now jumping just like everywhere else.

So for the tests to have been effective, we would have needed accurate information from experts on coronavirus symptoms earlier, including that the majority of people are asymptomatic.

If everyone else does, then why are Trumps poll numbers trending up?

Might I suggest that the bubble you live in in biasing you.

they’re not

And you don’t understand the U.S.’ role in the world economy versus South Korea. You can’t just shut things down even though thats what I would like to have done in a perfect world. It isn’t though, so I will just assume you don’t know much about geopolitical politics or the world economy or even this virus itself. By the time it was reported in China it was here already, except it was in its asymptomatic stage.

All decisions are made in regard to the well being of the people as well as do the best you can to not have another stock market crash. As it stands now, major industries ie the airlines are holding on by a thread for instance. There is a lot more at play than “look South Korea did this!”.
See my other post. The country (or swathes of it) is likely going to be locked down soon. We should do our best before our medical institutions collapse under stress. The economy is ****ed either way so let’s bite the bullet and fix what we can while there’s still time.

How is this “irresponsible” journalism? The only thing you’ve managed to identify is that it was written by a former Obama official, which is not convincing at all given Kayyem’s background and reputation.

The title is attention seeking panic mongering, directly at odds with the final concluding sentence of the article.

Has the point about the hospital capacity been comprehended by you yet? This virus spreads very fast, our hospitals are already getting stretched thin. Drastic measures must be taken to prevent potentially millions of deaths. And it needs to happen now not in a week or two weeks.

The economic impact is very unfortunate and devastating but the economy would be tanking whether we are in lockdown or not.

I know all about the hospital capacity issue. They will be at the breaking point very soon I am afraid not much could have been done to prevent that unless you locked down the country before it was an issue. That would have triggered riots, because most people live day to day and aren’t prepared for the future.

Lessons can be learned from this that is for sure. I am not happy with Trumps response from certain aspects as well.

Drastic measures have been taken. What other ideas do you have - at this point I suspect their benefit would be at the margins at best. Yelling drastic measures really is not that productive

That’s only because we have more than 3 times the population today. By that logic every flu season is the worst the world has ever seen because of the overall population. The Spanish flu was far more devastating. It was particularly deadly to people young and healthy. By comparisons the average age of deaths in Italy is 81. 99% of deaths are over the age of 60.
This is nowhere near the biggest crisis in US history.
1% under 50 here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
Back