PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coronavirus RESPECTFUL Discussion Only! (Mod edit: Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know if I’ve ever argued with someone so truly clueless about the subject at hand

11000 people have died out of 250,000 confirmed cases worldwide. While the number of cases is no doubt much higher, the death toll isn’t.

but somehow in your fantasy land we’re headed for 300,000,000 cases and 10,500,000 dead

A simple google search will tell you that experts believe 70% of america will have this virus within 18 months and that the fatality rate sits between 3 and 4%

Do the math and stop insulting people. If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

I don’t know if I’ve ever argued with someone so truly clueless about the subject at hand

11000 people have died out of 250,000 confirmed cases worldwide. While the number of cases is no doubt much higher, the death toll isn’t.

but somehow in your fantasy land we’re headed for 300,000,000 cases and 10,500,000 dead
The death rate is considerably lower, because mild, undiagnosed cases have not been counted.

A simple google search will tell you that experts believe 70% of america will have this virus within 18 months and that the fatality rate sits between 3 and 4%

Do the math and stop insulting people. If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.
The fatality is not 3-4%. Right now it is well under 2% here and headed for 1% and lower. The more mild disease we find, the lower it goes.

I realize his response wasn't the best, but the reporter was annoying him with his previous question and then interrupted him as he was calling on another reporter. His answer was impulsive and it's what Trump does.

The problem lies in all the 'but' this 'but' that excuse making and whataboutism BS. Now is THE time that has to stop. At some point even Donald Trump has to realize he can't continue to allow himself the luxury of being annoyed on camera during this crisis and the truculence needs to be shelved. The self indulgence of giving in to those urges is a serious flaw.

And i don't think he's the greatest president since sliced bread. In fact, there are a handful of presidents I'd rather have.

TBH you do yourself and others a disservice by seldom coming off that way.

Experts have been on all sides and all angles of this thing. The reality is nobody knows for sure.

The person who started this, will have to live with this guilt (or not) the rest of their lives (if they’re still alive).

Do the math and stop insulting people. If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem

I did the math. 11,000 dead out of 255,000 confirmed cases is 4%. Scary. But the math is wrong. How many hundreds of thousands if not millions of people might have this and not ever gone to the doctor to be accounted for as a confirmed case?

Lower death rate estimates for coronavirus provide glimmer of hope - STAT

Read that, and get a grip. You’re hysterical and talking absolute nonsense

The problem lies in all the 'but' this 'but' that excuse making and whataboutism BS. Now is THE time that has to stop. At some point even Donald Trump has to realize he can't continue to allow himself the luxury of being annoyed on camera during this crisis and the truculence needs to be shelved. The self indulgence of giving in to those urges is a serious flaw.

TBH you do yourself and others a disservice by seldom coming off that way.

I'm just trying to defend him from the left wing mob on here who thinks everything he does is wrong. If the WHO declares it a public health emergency on January 30, and he institutes a travel ban the following day, he's apparently four weeks behind...gimme a break.

That's from a poen about World War I, I believe.

Still, Noonan outdid herself on that one, but I doubt anyone could have delivered it better than Reagan. Like I said, particularly in retrospect, I really don't like the guy's economic policies and some of the other things he did (AIDs, Iran-Contra, death squads), but in the moments when we needed a figurehead to calm or inspire - Challenger, the assassination attempt - he was up to the task.

High Flight - John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

It is from 'High Flight' a sonnet written by WW II pilot John Gillespie Magee Jr.

Say what you will about Reagan but you can't deny the man had style and understood what the office he held represented to the public he served and what they expected of him.

I did the math. 11,000 dead out of 255,000 confirmed cases is 4%. Scary. But the math is wrong. How many hundreds of thousands if not millions of people might have this and not ever gone to the doctor to be accounted for as a confirmed case?

Lower death rate estimates for coronavirus provide glimmer of hope - STAT

Read that, and get a grip. You’re hysterical and talking absolute nonsense

By your calculation, we really should all just be going about our day, mass gatherings, watching pointless basketball and hockey games and let the dominos fall where they fall.

Well that's the british way of doing it so you arent alone.

Out here in CA, we’re on lockdown, yet everyone is driving around going places. :rolleyes:

I’d like to know where they’re going since nothing is f***ing open!

This s*** will never end if people don’t cooperate.

I'm just trying to defend him from the left wing mob on here who thinks everything he does is wrong. If the WHO declares it a public health emergency on January 30, and he institutes a travel ban the following day, he's apparently four weeks behind...gimme a break.

I didn’t say that. I just said you’re talking out of your ass.

But, I’m glad to see you can’t so much as make an attempt to refute a single point I’ve made. Hopefully I was able to clear some of this up for you.

I am not.

I didnt make any of those numbers up.

If you have an issue with my numbers take it up with the surgeon general, cdc and who.

WWII - Written by 19 year old RCAF pilot John McGee Jr. in 1941, shortly before his plane crashed
in a training accident.

High Flight

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
of sun-split clouds,—and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of—wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air. . . .

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark nor ever eagle flew—
And, while with silent lifting mind I’ve trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

I'm just trying to defend him from the left wing mob on here who thinks everything he does is wrong.

I understand the truth of that statement. Unfortunately all too often in your defenses you come off more than a little like the President did in that 1st snippet. Your cause would be better served if you approached it more diplomatically and with a bit less of a shoot from the hip mentality. The best answer to a howling mob isn't to howl back to the point where your message simply becomes part of the noise.

I appreciate your considered responses in our current exchange.

Last edited:

The fatality rate is not 3-4%. That is the fatality rate out of the amount of confirmed cases. There are likely thousands more people who have had mild, unconfirmed cases or had the virus but no symptoms.

It remains a very serious situation and I’m concerned about it but 3-4% doesn’t sound right at all.

The fatality rate is not 3-4%. That is the fatality rate out of the amount of confirmed cases. There are likely thousands more people who have had mild, unconfirmed cases or had the virus but no symptoms.

It remains a very serious situation and I’m concerned about it but 3-4% just isn’t true.
It is currently under 1.5% in the US

It was a softball question. it was the kind of question that halfway-skilled politicians can hit out of the park with their eyes closed.

Reagan the communicator was amazing, comforting, funny as hell with his wit, tough as nails when he had to be. His policies for the US middle class sucked, but that's one measure of a president and not the only one, and in times of crisis, not even the most important one.

Well that's your opinion man. :)

Me personally I'm completely finished with the continuous character assassinations. I'm so sick of it. That reporter asked another "what about the children" type question and he got slapped. Good.

Whoever is running for an office I'm voting for I will only look at their platforms.

He did this. She did that. Said this. Said that. Parsed to an infinite degree. "It's not what he said but the way he said it".

I'm out. It's just the media trying to influence your decision by pulling the fire alarm. 5,000,000 fire alarms later I've had enough.

There's no level they won't stoop to. "This is just speculation...... Racist...... misogynistic..... corrupt.......lier........blah blah blah.

That reporter got his ass spanked. Good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes