PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Compensatory picks announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every year the team is so deep that draftees/UDFA's could't possibly make the team. And every year 7 or so draftees/UDFA's make the team.

Under BB, every player drafted in the first four rounds has been on the payroll (53/IR) his rookie season, and only one didn't make it to his second season. (And that was in 2007.)

You're correct. There typically isn't a lot of direct derived from a 7th round pick. The Pats have picked up:

Patrick Pass, FB, 2000
David Givens, 2002
Tully Banta-Cain, 2003
Matt Cassell, 2005
Brandon Deaderick, 2010
Alfonzo Dennard, 2012

and that's about it.

However, they can be "deal sweeteners" to throw at teams that want to trade up into a Pats' slot. For instance, a team that wants the Pats #31 might have to give up four picks to make the point value close to even, so the Pats might give them back a 7th to get it done.

But 7th-rounders are mostly useful for pre-emptively securing the rights to a prospect who otherwise might be a UDFA and, thus, avoid have to bid against other teams for him.

It actually quite often works out that the signing bonus money that a team needs to give to a UDFA to persuade him to sign with the Pats rather than with some other team, raises the UDFA's compensation above that of a 7th-round pick. It might only be $100k or so, but that $100k comes out of the team's CBA-limited rookie-pool allotment and, thus, can't be used to "bribe" another UDFA.

You can't actually give an UDFA player $100k signing bonus. There's a team limit and a per player limit of ~$25k. They can guarantee salary, though. So Langi had about $100k of his salary guaranteed.

You can't actually give an UDFA player $100k signing bonus. There's a team limit and a per player limit of ~$25k. They can guarantee salary, though. So Langi had about $100k of his salary guaranteed.

I know there's a team limit. I didn't know that there was a per-player limit.

Moving a pick into next year is an option too, although I don’t believe that we have the numbers problem this year that we’ve grown accustomed to in most recent years, and that’s partially due to some rather unproductive drafts, deflategate, and injuries...
And don't forget Bill's fetish of throwing away Day 3 picks for street-talent rentals.

And don't forget Bill's fetish of throwing away Day 3 picks for street-talent rentals.

yes, that is part of Belichick's strategy

He uses late picks to trade for backups and Sters

He uses late picks and UDFA's to take a shot. He does well, but about as well with UDFA's as with late picks (after all we have many UDFA's).

yes, that is part of Belichick's strategy

He uses late picks to trade for backups and Sters

He uses late picks and UDFA's to take a shot. He does well, but about as well with UDFA's as with late picks (after all we have many UDFA's).
I don't mind - that much - if Bill trades 6th- and 7th-rounders for backups & STOs; what pisses me off is that he trades those picks for backups & STOs On Expiring Contracts, thus losing 3 years of financial control in the process. So then he has to do the same thing the following year...and so on...and so on...

I don't mind - that much - if Bill trades 6th- and 7th-rounders for backups & STOs; what pisses me off is that he trades those picks for backups & STOs On Expiring Contracts, thus losing 3 years of financial control in the process. So then he has to do the same thing the following year...and so on...and so on...

It depends on the trade. Marquis Flowers and Blount? Great trades. Cassius Marsh? Not so much.

But if those picks were spent during the draft, it's highly unlikely those players on 4 year contracts will produce more than the known quantity could in 1 season. Worst case, we get Jeremy Ebert and cut him. Best case, we get Lee Smith, Kamu Grugier-Hill, etc...and cut him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST