Just Another Guy
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
New England received a single 4th round compensatory pick, number 136 overall

DWwDmqMVAAAo-Ju.jpg

Looks like we got Zippo for Blount. Thought he was worth a 7th rounder.....Typical NFL screwing the Patriots...

Looks like we got Zippo for Blount. Thought he was worth a 7th rounder.....Typical NFL screwing the Patriots...

It's not even close to unreasonable that he might not have had one of the 32 most expensive FA deals of 2017. The system isn't very transparent but we know enough about it to understand this is a silly accusation.

Players lost vs players gained..Sheard was worth a 4th.....not sure why it was out of realm of possibility that Blount wasn't worth a 7th.....What is the formula you base it on Elijah ? Was it strictly salary ?

Players lost vs players gained..Sheard was worth a 4th.....not sure why it was out of realm of possibility that Blount wasn't worth a 7th.....What is the formula you base it on Elijah ? Was it strictly salary ?

First of all, only the top 32 free agent contracts count. If Blount isn't one of those, he automatically doesn't count. For the sake of conversation, let's suppose he is one of the top 32. If the Patriots signed a free agent of comparable value, it cancels Blount out.

Because Sheard was the player the pick is for, we can infer that for all the free agents we lost in those top 32, the NFL deemed us to have made an equivalent signing also in the top 32...except for Sheard.

So if Blount was one of those 32, and I've read some suggestions that he's not (if I find it again I'll post it), all it would take is a pretty small signing to cancel him out. His name is Rex Burkhead.

Last comp pick assigned was for Tom Compton...1.85M salary ( rank 673)...Must have used part of Burk's salary to cancel out Blount as his salary was only 1.2M ( rank 817)..... At first glance it seemed odd....This explains it more as Blount's salary is alot lower in pecking order than Compton's was.....Compensatory Draft Picks Cancellation Chart | Over the Cap

Last edited:
So the Pats got a 2018 5th and 7th and a 2019 6th today! Yippee! :D

• Ha Ha
Reactions: jah
First of all, only the top 32 free agent contracts count. If Blount isn't one of those, he automatically doesn't count. For the sake of conversation, let's suppose he is one of the top 32. If the Patriots signed a free agent of comparable value, it cancels Blount out.

Because Sheard was the player the pick is for, we can infer that for all the free agents we lost in those top 32, the NFL deemed us to have made an equivalent signing also in the top 32...except for Sheard.

So if Blount was one of those 32, and I've read some suggestions that he's not (if I find it again I'll post it), all it would take is a pretty small signing to cancel him out. His name is Rex Burkhead.
Blount was #36. He moved up when Bennett was cut (and probably due to other moves as well), but not quite into the top 32.

Last comp pick assigned was for Tom Compton...1.85M salary ( rank 673)...Must have used part of Burk's salary to cancel out Blount as his salary was only 1.2M ( rank 817)..... At first glance it seemed odd....This explains it more as Blount's salary is alot lower in pecking order than Compton's was.....Compensatory Draft Picks Cancellation Chart | Over the Cap

It doesn't work that way. The idea is you cancel out players lost using players signed, and the top 32 left after doing so result in comp picks.

The Pats lost:
Ryan
Sheard
Long
Mingo
Blount

They signed Gilmore, Burkhead, and Guy. Gilmore canceled out Ryan, (IIRC) Burkhead canceled out Mingo, and Guy canceled out Long. Blount ended up around 36.

Looks like they got no credit for Bennett?

Looks like they got no credit for Bennett?

Because the Packers cut Bennett before week 10 he no longer counts towards NE's tally or against GB's. The net result is the cut gained the Packers a 5th and cost the Pats a 4th.

It's actually typical NFL having a pretty consistent formula that they apply every year with pretty predictable results
Sorry Herc...You're a day late and a dollar short on your reply..... Of Course the NFL always is even handed when it comes to the Patriots..Just ask the GOAT ...

This particular issue I already addressed after numerous commentary on my post....I said I stand corrected..I jumped the gun on my initial analysis...poor me...LOL

Sorry Herc...You're a day late and a dollar short on your reply..... Of Course the NFL always is even handed when it comes to the Patriots..Just ask the GOAT ...

This particular issue I already addressed after numerous commentary on my post....I said I stand corrected..I jumped the gun on my initial analysis...poor me...LOL

You do you Blue, and be well.

Well I like getting a 4th. But, looking at the draft picks we own, this reeks of us trading down to collect a bunch of 6th rounders.

Back last June it didn't seem like any draft picks, and certainly no UDFA, could make the roster.

But BB hardly drafted anyone anyways. Was it like four? With only one guy who played?

And then 3 or more UDFA rookies made the squad.

Either me or the Patriots FO doesn't understand how drafting players works.

Back last June it didn't seem like any draft picks, and certainly no UDFA, could make the roster.

But BB hardly drafted anyone anyways. Was it like four? With only one guy who played?

And then 3 or more UDFA rookies made the squad.

Either me or the Patriots FO doesn't understand how drafting players works.
Probly you

Because the Packers cut Bennett before week 10 he no longer counts towards NE's tally or against GB's. The net result is the cut gained the Packers a 5th and cost the Pats a 4th.

But the Patriots playing him through game 10 cost the Packers some money, right? Maybe this is why they did it? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back