PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Compensatory draft picks: Pats get a 3rd rounder and three 6th rounders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope.

3 6-rounders means 3 new Offensive Linemen..

Three additional chances to draft the navy qb. I think that li would be perfect for us after a year of seasoning.

More like three special teamers/safeties.

One former rugby player, one former lax attackman and a former wrestler. Oops, already done that.

One former rugby player, one former lax attackman and a former wrestler. Oops, already done that.

Not for nothing but Jim Brown is said to have been unbeatable at lacrosse face offs during his time at Syracuse, so maybe BB is looking for the next Jim Brown.

Sure glad this was only a dream:

NFL to Award Comp Pick to Jets for Signing Darelle Revis

New York (AP) - NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced today that rather than award the New England Patriots a 3rd-round draft pick as compensation for losing free agent cornerback Darelle Revis, he would instead award the pick to the New York Jets.

"In light of the fact that the Patriots defense was actually better in 2015 than in 2014, it would set a bad precedent to provide any additional compensation to them. On the other hand, the Jets have handicapped themselves by giving $39 million in guaranteed money to a player who is in decline and may not be able to help them win in the future. As a result, we think it is only fair that the compensatory pick be awarded to the Jets, rather than the Patriots. In addition, the Patriots have been warned that in the future, any transactions between the two teams must be "fair and equitable" for both sides. I have appointed Mike Kensil to review each of these transactions in the future to ensure that Patriots do not take unfair advantage of the New York Jets' ownership, front office, or coaching staff. This move is necessary to ensure competitive balance within the league."

You forgot to add the word "integrity" somewhere in there because we all know it's about the integrity of the game, right?

... and the 6s are just more opportunities to take flyers on guys like Roberts, Butler, and Edelman.

Man, what do guys named Brady have to do to get onto your list of great 6th round flyers? ;)

Last edited:
Man, what do guys named Brady have to do to get onto your list of great 6th round flyers? ;)

I don't think that's the rhetorical point that was being made, since none of those players mentioned were actually selected in the 6th.

I don't think that's the rhetorical point that was being made, since none of those players mentioned were actually selected in the 6th.

It's exactly the rhetorical point that was being made.. that the 6th round is a great place to take a gamble on a player because there's very little to lose and a lot to gain.

There wasn't even the slightest intent to admonish him for leaving Brady off his list. It's all good humor in the vein of: hey, remember that time we got the best quarterback of all time in the 6th round? :)

I sorta think about it as 3 Powerball tickets.

Out of the 5 sixth rounders that we have (IIRC), I believe only two of them are tradeable. I'm guessing that some of these will be used to move into next year, while some may be used to potentially try and trade up a round into the 5th.

Of course, the others will be darts thrown at the wall in hopes of finding a guy (like the Navy QB for example) who can contribute to the team in whatever way possible.

Doesn't help the Pats. From what I'm told they will receive zero comp picks next year because of all the FA they signed. Makes sense to me.

It all depends on the Eligible Free Agents lost vs. the Ones signed.

FA Signed:
Chris Hogan - Not Eligible because he was an RFA
Nate Washington - (965K APY) Likely under the APY threshold
Terrance Knighton - (2.02M APY)
Chris Long -Cut by Rams, Not Eligible.
Clay Harbor - (2M APY)
E.J. Biggers - (760K APY) Likely under the APY threshold
Donald Brown - (965K APY) Likely under the APY threshold
Shea McClellin - (2.99M APY)
Ramon Humber - (965K APY) Likely under the APY threshold
Frank Kearse - (840K) Likely under the APY threshold

FA Lost:
Tavon Wilson - Is Eligible (1.1M APY)
Sealver Siliga - Not Eligible - Patriots did not offer RFA contract.
Akiem Hicks - Is Eligible. ($5M APY)
Brandon LaFell - Cut by Patriots. Not Eligible.

So, while it's unlikely that the Patriots will get any comp picks next year, its more because they don't have enough off-setting signings for the likes of Harbor, McClellin and Knighton than it is anything else since it's likely that those will be the only 3 that will be above the APY threshhold that the league uses..

However, with Blount, Brown, Watson and Wendell still out there, who knows..

However, with Blount, Brown, Watson and Wendell still out there, who knows..

And which of these do you expect to get qualifying offers from another team? I expect that the most likely resting place for any of these is the patriots.

And which of these do you expect to get qualifying offers from another team? I expect that the most likely resting place for any of these is the patriots.

I could see any one of them being signed by another team..

Wendell - I could see Denver giving him a call since they just lost yet another O-lineman
Blount - San Diego, Chicago, Miami and possibly Seattle depending on Beastmode..
Brown - NYJ, Buffalo, Chicago, San Fran

The bigger question is whether or not they'll be signed to a contract that would qualify for the Compensatory pick equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back