PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Comparison of Elliott and Deflategate.

This is why the NFL should get the hell out of the morality business. Let the law decide if a player is guilty or innocent. Let the player play until the courts have passed judgement. Once judgement has been tendered Goody can suspend them for as long as he wants.

The NFL and Goody have this belief it's image and revenue are impacted by the player's personal conduct and its not. It just isn't.
I respectfully disagree. When the Ray Rice situation broke a couple years ago, the NFL image took a big hit and some companies talked of withdrawing sponsorship. I don't think it actually happened, but it is certainly in the realm of possibility.

I have no problem with the NFL throwing the book at men who beat up women and I have no problem with them acting on the preponderance of evidence instead of needing an actual "guilty" verdict (which are pretty rare). What I don't understand is how Josh Brown got 1 game for multiple proven assaults, and Ezekiel Elliott got 6 games for something which I just can't say I am sure actually happened.

I respectfully disagree. When the Ray Rice situation broke a couple years ago, the NFL image took a big hit and some companies talked of withdrawing sponsorship. I don't think it actually happened, but it is certainly in the realm of possibility.

I have no problem with the NFL throwing the book at men who beat up women and I have no problem with them acting on the preponderance of evidence instead of needing an actual "guilty" verdict (which are pretty rare). What I don't understand is how Josh Brown got 1 game for multiple proven assaults, and Ezekiel Elliott got 6 games for something which I just can't say I am sure actually happened.

The NFLs image was fine. It was Rice and Goody's incompetence that took the hit.

NFL revenues have increased by $3b since the Rice incident.

Im not aware of any sponsors dumping the NFL over that but Raddison dumped BAL

The thing is if the NFL had not played moral judge the public would have went along. Let the teams decide if they want to keep the player- not the league.

No worries PFS74.

I was just poking some fun, mostly at the title, for bringing defamegate back up. You did awesome work and completely called Judge Berman's ruling.

My apologies if you thought I was attacking you (the ignore comment seemed unnecessary and aggressive for you).
Peace!
Go Pats!

The NFLs image was fine. It was Rice and Goody's incompetence that took the hit.

NFL revenues have increased by $3b since the Rice incident.

Im not aware of any sponsors dumping the NFL over that but Raddison dumped BAL

The thing is if the NFL had not played moral judge the public would have went along. Let the teams decide if they want to keep the player- not the league.
The entire outrage with Ray Rice was the league suspended him *only* 2 games. People were pissed - and rightfully so - that a guy who punched his girlfriend so hard it knocked her out was suspended only 2 games by the league.

I find it hard to believe that a public so upset at 2 games would have been happy with 0.

The entire outrage with Ray Rice was the league suspended him *only* 2 games. People were pissed - and rightfully so - that a guy who punched his girlfriend so hard it knocked her out was suspended only 2 games by the league.

I find it hard to believe that a public so upset at 2 games would have been happy with 0.
I hear you. As a husband and father of 3 daughters they should have thrown that azzhole in jail and Goody fired. Just disgusting.

But here is the thing. I believe Goody brought it on himself.

If the NFL - from the very beginning kept Tags policy and not to get involved in domestic issues and let police , judges and teams decide on a players fate and penalize based on that or let teams decide what they want to do it all would have been avoided.

Yep, had a Steelers fan here today recite the whole NFL angle on Defamegate as gospel truth. And to think I quite respected her intelligence level prior to that...
<YosemiteSam>
Yinzers is so stupid.
</YosemiteSam>

"Many if not most fans thought it was dumb for Brady to spend all that time and money taking on the NFL over what amounted to a tolerable penalty."

"Tolerable"?! That's a quarter of the season and lets say the worst happened and the Pats went 0-4. They might have missed the playoffs altogether. That's devastating not "tolerable".

Fortunately that didn't happen but it very well could have.
Yeah. That sentence is at odds with the rest of the article. Like it needed one more edit or something. There is nothing "tolerable" about a penalty that costs a player one fourth of a season for something that the article acknowledges never happened.

But, if what he meant to say was "Most fans across the country at the time thought Brady should just take his medicine," then it would have been consistent with his next sentence, "But there was a lot more at stake..."

And, the sad truth is that it is true that, outside Patriots Nation, "Most fans across the country at the time" did think he should "just take his medicine."

It was only Civil Libertarians, First Amendment advocates and people like Steph Stradley, Sally Jenkins and, eventually, Gary Myers outside New England, who supported Brady during the Court proceeding. In fact, our own CHB was one of Brady's greatest critics, especially in his famous article that "he did it."

It's only been in the last six months or so that most people, other than Haters and the CHB, have understood that the entire thing was a bogus frame job.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back