PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coming up for the Season Opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanSince74

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
OK. I'm loading the whole fandamily into the SUV and driving from NYC to Foxboro next Saturday AM. Staying right at the Stadium. Plan to arrive by early afternoon

I'm open to any and all advice but have five specific questions:

One. The Web page says the gates open two hours before the game on Sunday. Is that actually true?

Two. I want my kids to see as much of the Pats warm-ups as possible. When do people start to line up to get into the stadium? This is a rare thing for us, so we'll want to soak up every minute we can around the team.

Three. Are they as strict about what you can carry into Gillette as the web page says they are?

Four. We're sitting right behind the Pats bench. Any chance at all that the players interact with fans standing there before the game? My guess is "no," but I can only hope.

Five. Aside from the Hall, what else should we be sure not to miss around Gillette on Saturday?

Any other advice, tips, etc. are welcome.

Thanks in advance!!!

PS: My sons and I are over the moon with excitement. It almost feels like a religious experience. The only other time I saw Brady in person was when I waited three hours outside the Courthouse when he was in Federal Court for Berman's hearing and he walked three feet in front of me to get in his SUV. I brought him luck that day...hopefully, it will carry over.

My advice, stay over Sunday night too. Traffic will be horrendous!

1yes
2 we go in an hour early every week to watch warm ups. They start about 50 min before kickoff with full team warm-ups. Before that guys just mull around some players come out to do things on the field others have their routines. I think an hour early is right.
3Very strict.
4 they obviously have things on their mind but depending on how close most definitely.
5. There are things to do at the mall but nothing as fun as the Hall. And nothing to noteworthy. Plenty of good dining choices at the mall but my favorite place around here and I live 5 miles from the stadium is Red Wing Diner. It's a small diner about a mile north of the stadium and it's got excellent fried New England seafood and pretty good bar pizza and pub food.

OK. I'm loading the whole fandamily into the SUV and driving from NYC to Foxboro next Saturday AM. Staying right at the Stadium. Plan to arrive by early afternoon

I'm open to any and all advice but have five specific questions:

One. The Web page says the gates open two hours before the game on Sunday. Is that actually true?

Two. I want my kids to see as much of the Pats warm-ups as possible. When do people start to line up to get into the stadium? This is a rare thing for us, so we'll want to soak up every minute we can around the team.

Three. Are they as strict about what you can carry into Gillette as the web page says they are?

Four. We're sitting right behind the Pats bench. Any chance at all that the players interact with fans standing there before the game? My guess is "no," but I can only hope.

Five. Aside from the Hall, what else should we be sure not to miss around Gillette on Saturday?

Any other advice, tips, etc. are welcome.

Thanks in advance!!!

PS: My sons and I are over the moon with excitement. It almost feels like a religious experience. The only other time I saw Brady in person was when I waited three hours outside the Courthouse when he was in Federal Court for Berman's hearing and he walked three feet in front of me to get in his SUV. I brought him luck that day...hopefully, it will carry over.
2 hours is accurate
I’ve never waited in line more than a few minute after the gates open. My son has always been big in getting to our seats as early as possible. We are often the first people on our section.
We have had success walking down to near row1 to watch early warmups but there are people who will ask for a ticket. In some cases it took a couple of tries to find the right (unguarded) stairway.
The last 40 minutes or so before kickoff flies by, and will especially at your first game.
Carrying rules are very strict. Met a guy at a game who had a small jackknife that was an heirloom he carried. They took it, and told him he could get it the next day, but he was from Canada and flying out that day.
Enjoy the game, and BE LOUD!!!!

If you don't mind me asking, what are you paying to stay at the hotel? The other couple we travle with for the annual trip would love to stay there but the price is insane. Throw in the crappy Canadian dollar and it's not viable.

I always make it a point to head towards the washroom just before the two minute warning. It always works to be able to use the washroom, grab a drink and be easily back before kickoff. The lineups can be insane at halftime.

If your going to hit up the Pro Shop, do it once it opens or soon after. You can have ample space to look around before it gets crowded. As well, make it a point to check out some of the tailgating going on. It's truly impressive to see some people's set ups.

Last edited:
The Red Wing is not open on game days. At least back in the day. Check it out the night before. Very old school place. It's been there a long time. Not fancy but delicious.

The Red Wing is not open on game days. At least back in the day. Check it out the night before. Very old school place. It's been there a long time. Not fancy but delicious.
I think they might open now on game days but I don't know for sure I'm always in the stadium at that time. But I was definitely suggesting that for a Saturday meal.

I echo the Red Wing!

Great place....

1yes
2 we go in an hour early every week to watch warm ups. They start about 50 min before kickoff with full team warm-ups. Before that guys just mull around some players come out to do things on the field others have their routines. I think an hour early is right.
3Very strict.
4 they obviously have things on their mind but depending on how close most definitely.
5. There are things to do at the mall but nothing as fun as the Hall. And nothing to noteworthy. Plenty of good dining choices at the mall but my favorite place around here and I live 5 miles from the stadium is Red Wing Diner. It's a small diner about a mile north of the stadium and it's got excellent fried New England seafood and pretty good bar pizza and pub food.

Thanks for the detailed answer. Much appreciated.
One clarification, when you say "an hour early," do you mean an hour before Kickoff or an hour before the gates open, which would be three hours before the KO.
Again, much appreciated.
And, I'll tell my sons to look as cute as possible and stand above the bench in case someone comes over.
Thanks!

Have a great time, it will be exciting for the entire family.
I agree don't try to return drive that night. Traffic is terrible. Stay Sunday night.

Enjoy

Post later how the trip went.

Go Pats

If you don't mind me asking, what are you paying to stay at the hotel? The other couple we travle with for the annual trip would love to stay there but the price is insane. Throw in the crappy Canadian dollar and it's not viable.

I always make it a point to head towards the washroom just before the two minute warning. It always works to be able to use the washroom, grab a drink and be easily back before kickoff. The lineups can be insane at halftime.

If your going to hit up the Pro Shop, do it once it opens or soon after. You can have ample space to look around before it gets crowded. As well, make it a point to check out some of the tailgating going on. It's truly impressive to see some people's set ups.

The Room Rate at the Renaissance Patriot Place Hotel isn't really "viable" for us either, but we view it as a once in a blue moon thing, so we're shelling out the bucks; definitely not something I'd pay for an "annual trip" (also sitting right behind the Pats bench, so this is not something I'll be doing again for a long time).

I won't mention the room rate, but the rate for the night before a game for a room with two Queen Beds is on the website, so you can see it there. It does include onsite, valet parking from the night before until after the game for an extra $50, so that's built into the economics. Parking Places at the stadium sell for $300 on line. In other words, we roll out of bed on Sunday morning, grab some breakfast, check our bags with the hotel and walk to the game.

We're planning on getting an early start out of NYC and hitting the Hall and the Pro Shop on Saturday.

Have a great time, it will be exciting for the entire family.
I agree don't try to return drive that night. Traffic is terrible. Stay Sunday night.

Enjoy

Post later how the trip went.

Go Pats
Unfortunately, we have a commitment in Cambridge on Monday morning, so we'll be leaving after the game for a hotel there.
That would normally be about an hour's drive. How long do you think it will take? I'm banking on three or even four hours.

Thanks for the detailed answer. Much appreciated.
One clarification, when you say "an hour early," do you mean an hour before Kickoff or an hour before the gates open, which would be three hours before the KO.
Again, much appreciated.
And, I'll tell my sons to look as cute as possible and stand above the bench in case someone comes over.
Thanks!
I meant be in your seats an hour before kick off. At that time you'll walk right in with no wait and catch all the good pre game action.

I meant be in your seats an hour before kick off. At that time you'll walk right in with no wait and catch all the good pre game action.
Thanks. That's very helpful!

Unfortunately, we have a commitment in Cambridge on Monday morning, so we'll be leaving after the game for a hotel there.
That would normally be about an hour's drive. How long do you think it will take? I'm banking on three or even four hours.

Shouldn't be 3 or 4.

When I was going to games I would hang out with my crew for the post-game tailgate for an hour, then head out. At that point it would then usually take about an hour to 90 minutes (usually closer to an hour) to drive from the stadium to within a few miles of Cambridge.

So I don't see it taking much longer than 2.5 hrs total. Sure, leaving right after the game means the traffic will be rather worse than the traffic I'd be in, but you'd still be making progress vs. me hanging out in the lots for an hour before leaving, but you'll still get to where you're going sooner (relative to end of game) than I would -- you'll just be physically in the car longer than I would.

(One other thing -- when I'd be heading home I'd be checking on the traffic at the I-95/128 interchange. If that was backed up a lot (and sometimes it was) I would just stay on US-1 all the way to 128 rather than getting onto I-95.)

Last edited:
](also sitting right behind the Pats bench, so this is not something I'll be doing again for a long time).

Hell, I will be in the nose bleeds....I had to get multiple tickets for my nephews who have never seen Tom Brady play (10, 8, and 6 yrs old). Yup, not doing that again for a long time either....we had to buy tickets via Stubhub….crazy prices, but screw it...the kids need to see Tom Brady play before he rides off into the sunset...

If you leave right after the game then probably 4-5 hours if you hang around after the game for at least an hour then probably about 2 hours, total 3 hours.

Enjoy

Go Pats

If you leave right after the game then probably 4-5 hours if you hang around after the game for at least an hour then probably about 2 hours, total 3 hours.

Enjoy

Go Pats

How is that possible? :D

That makes no sense. There’s no way someone who leaves immediately after the game arrives at his destination 1-2 hours AFTER someone who hangs out in the parking lot for an hour. It’s not physically possible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back