PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Combine Talk: Linebackers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been on the Barwin bandwagon for a while, he's today winner without a doubt.
1) Incredible athleticism, this guy can run, can jump, has awesome hips fluidity, he's the total package.
2) High character guy
3) He's raw, but he's a hardworker guy with athleticism, I think he can make the conversion (DE to OLB) very quickly.

So, looking at what I can find summarized so far, Barwin weighed in at 6'4" 256#, ran an official 4.66 40, broad jumped 10'8" (tied with Michael Johnson for longest among all DL and LBs), vertical jumped 40.5" (best of all the DLs and LBs), did a 6.87 3-cone (best of all DLs, second to only Brian Cushing among LB results post so far, which do not yet include Aaron Curry), did a 4.18 shuttle (best among all DLs, and tied with Clay Matthews - behind Marcus Freeman - for 2nd among all LB results posted so far). That's got to be one of the most amazing athletic performances in recent memory. He's never played LB, but he is stronger, faster, and more agile than almost any LB in the combine. What a freak.

So, looking at what I can find summarized so far, Barwin weighed in at 6'4" 256#, ran an official 4.66 40, broad jumped 10'8" (tied with Michael Johnson for longest among all DL and LBs), vertical jumped 40.5" (best of all the DLs and LBs), did a 6.87 3-cone (best of all DLs, second to only Brian Cushing among LB results post so far, which do not yet include Aaron Curry), did a 4.18 shuttle (best among all DLs, and tied with Clay Matthews - behind Marcus Freeman - for 2nd among all LB results posted so far). That's got to be one of the most amazing athletic performances in recent memory. He's never played LB, but he is stronger, faster, and more agile than almost any LB in the combine. What a freak.

The only problem is that someone is going to reach for him.

Somewhere between 15-20 or even higher, you never know what could happen, Maybe Al Davis fall in love or SF or Buff or GB
Fair enough, I can see that as a "reach" too. Happily, Al Davis is picking much higher and Heywood-Bey ran a 4.30 so Al has someone else to distract him. My concern would be 3-4 teams picking after NE's #23 - Miami, Pittsburgh, or Atlanta who needs a DE to pair with Abraham. I just think Barwin's athletic numbers, matched with his proven ability to learn a new position, his production in all three phases of the game, and his size...I've got to say he is a #23 value, but might be ranked a peg below Louis Delmas or Alphonso Smith.

Fair enough, I can see that as a "reach" too. Happily, Al Davis is picking much higher and Heywood-Bey ran a 4.30 so Al has someone else to distract him. My concern would be 3-4 teams picking after NE's #23 - Miami, Pittsburgh, or Atlanta who needs a DE to pair with Abraham. I just think Barwin's athletic numbers, matched with his proven ability to learn a new position, his production in all three phases of the game, and his size...I've got to say he is a #23 value, but might be ranked a peg below Louis Delmas or Alphonso Smith.

That's why trading Cassel for another 1st rounder (and a 3rd) could secure Barwin to the patriots.

The only problem is that someone is going to reach for him.

That's a real problem after today. I was hoping that Barwin wouldn't totally blow away the combine, but I can't say I'm surprised. Now there's a good chance someone will fall in love with his athleticism and intangibles and "reach" for him. Much as I think he's a great Pats prospect, I don't see him warranting that high a pick at this time.

OK, I gotta ask, How do you all find the time to watch and blog the combine??

On mid-winter break, retired???

It's been a busy day around here,,

Retired...amongst my other issues. :p

I've got a rare couple of days off, with the kid in pre-school. Wasn't able to do this the past 4 weeks.

I've got a rare couple of days off, with the kid in pre-school. Wasn't able to do this the past 4 weeks.

I'm guessing "slacking off at work" doesn't quite cut it compared to the previous explanations.

I'm guessing "slacking off at work" doesn't quite cut it compared to the previous explanations.
:woot: We've got a winner. :youtheman:

Regarding Brinkley, anyone got a guess on his 10 yd split?

I just got promoted to the main NE territory guy for my company, so I have a ton of leeway. I now work from my condo most days I'm not on the road, I'm 23, single and without kids, so obligations from the homestead are fairly minimal. I'm lucky enough to work for a company that only cares about results, and as long as I continue to do 150% of my commit, I should be able to continue my shenanigans.

Well, your Dads will be proud of you all, well most of you:D
I just got promoted to the main NE territory guy for my company, so I have a ton of leeway. I now work from my condo most days I'm not on the road, I'm 23, single and without kids, so obligations from the homestead are fairly minimal. I'm lucky enough to work for a company that only cares about results, and as long as I continue to do 150% of my commit, I should be able to continue my shenanigans.

Anybody have any knowledge on how Guyton did at these drills last year??

Just wondering,,

Man, those drills really separated the wheat from the chaff. There was a clear line between guys who could open their hips and change directions, and move laterally while staying balanced, and the rest who struggled with anything but straight line speed. Moise Fokou, in particular, looked like he just took himself from a borderline prospect to an undrafted player. He ended up on the ground in half those drills. Guys who moved well were Curry (duh), Sintim, Matthews and Maiava on the outside, and Brinkley (my new official binkie), Phillips and Worrell Williams on the inside. McKillop looks like a stiff, which runs totally counter to his production, Beckwith looked awful, doubly so for a guy who supposedly was athletic and fast but lacking size, and Cushing didn't stand out in any way. Very interesting day of linebacker drills.

He's a combine freak, but what is he as a football player? Barwin didn't play much for Cincinnati on offense until his Junior season where he was a moderately productive TE. Then as a senior he explodes at DE with very impressive numbers. The Big East might be the weakest BCS conference, yet Barwin has only one year of significant production? I liked what I saw on the combine coverage and like what I saw the few times I watched Cincinnati play this year. That said I certainly wasn't thinking "first rounder" when I watched him play. I'd like to have him in the 2nd round, but I would realize it was a boom or bust proposition taking him that high.

He's a combine freak, but what is he as a football player? Barwin didn't play much for Cincinnati on offense until his Junior season where he was a moderately productive TE. Then as a senior he explodes at DE with very impressive numbers. The Big East might be the weakest BCS conference, yet Barwin has only one year of significant production? I liked what I saw on the combine coverage and like what I saw the few times I watched Cincinnati play this year. That said I certainly wasn't thinking "first rounder" when I watched him play. I'd like to have him in the 2nd round, but I would realize it was a boom or bust proposition taking him that high.

I am not suggesting that Barwin is a 1st round pick at this time. I'm sure there will be a lot of hype from his performance - which I fully expected - but his lack of experience, raw technique and position change are still major factors. Is he a 1st round talent? Undoubtedly. And I am very confident that he will be successful, because his amazing physical skills are only part of the package. He is very bright, a high character kid, with a very high motor, very teachable and a quick learner. But he will have a learning curve.

Both Mayock and Kirwan were pretty clear that they don't think yesterday's performance vaults Barwin into the 1st round. I think once the buzz wears off he will end up in the 1st half of the 2nd round, though it's possible he could continue to stay hot. The question is, could we get him with #47? I'd be happy with that, and would take him over Sintim, Matthews, English, etc.

6'2" 266# rusher from Richmond - isn't that where Vince Redd came from?

Nah, Liberty. He was originally at Virginia.

Anybody have any knowledge on how Guyton did at these drills last year??

Just wondering,,

# 40-yard dash -- 4.47 (1st among LBs)
# Vertical jump -- 36.5 (1st among LBs)
# Broad jump -- 10"6'' (tied-1st among LBs)
# 3-cone drill -- 7.07, (tied-8th)
# 60-yard shuttle -- 11.57 (5th)

Just to add - how in the name of God did he go undrafted??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down