PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colts give Brissett $28M, mostly guaranteed in 2020, for no reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it’s something to do with the cap carry over percentage I read somewhere. Il try and find the link for it.

In my opinion, there's a simple explanation. They decided JB was their starter. They signed Hoyer to be a Backup and they don't wanna any controversy like happened a few years ago, in that same division, with 2 former Patriot QBs, one being Hoyer himself.

So given that scenario, JB was set to make less money than his backup. That doesn't work in any line of business. So they had to give him the dough, and then all the things said about spending salary cap and fast forwarding the franchise tag etc applies after this evaluation.

Trying to construct a scenario whereby this can somehow be seen as another part of Deflategate Karma.

No Grigson
No Mike Adams saying the ball he picked felt "soft"
No Mortensen pack of lies.
No suspension for Brady.
No showcasing of Brissett, including subbing for Jimmy G., beating the Texans and playing the Bills game with a busted thumb...the stuff of legends.
No trade to the Colts.
No $30MM contract for a good guy who would probably have never seen that kind of payday.
Works for me...more power to ya, Jacoby....take the Dolts and their addled owner for all their worth.
I believe nothing like that ever happend. D'Qwell Jackson picked it and denied ever saying that.

In my opinion, there's a simple explanation. They decided JB was their starter. They signed Hoyer to be a Backup and they don't wanna any controversy like happened a few years ago, in that same division, with 2 former Patriot QBs, one being Hoyer himself.

So given that scenario, JB was set to make less money than his backup. That doesn't work in any line of business. So they had to give him the dough, and then all the things said about spending salary cap and fast forwarding the franchise tag etc applies after this evaluation.

Hoyer got $4M.
Brissett was getting $2M.

Isn’t that a bit of a jump to $28M?

Bruschi never bamboozled the Pats.
I didn’t say that. Bruschi didn’t use an agent either. I can respect Brissett having enough confidence in himself, like bruschi, to negotiate his own contract. Maybe that is what the colts see in Brissett. Confidence

I believe nothing like that ever happend. D'Qwell Jackson picked it and denied ever saying that.

The Colts alerted the league during the week that they were concerned the Patriots were deflating balls. Coincidentally, on their first interception, they “noticed” something wasn’t right. Same ball the officials were handling the whole time.

So thankful that Belichick is the supreme Spock like logician.

Colts logic. "We made this guy our #1 so let's pay him like one!". Um what if he craps the bed?

Belichick would have had it all incentives and only done it with an extension ie incentives for some additional years at reasonable low rates. AND he only would have done if he was pretty sure he's good enough.

I thought Brisette was pretty mediocre. You don't make mediocre great by paying more for it. It's like going to mcdonalds and paying 20 dollars for a big mac because you really want a nice steak. That's not how it works.

Goff really waited for Hoyer & JB to set the market b4 he broke it.

Watson & Mahomes should be getting 150-200MG

I was just going to post this Goff 4 yr extension will take the wind right out of Jacoby's piddly raise/extension story.

I was just going to post this Goff 4 yr extension will take the wind right out of Jacoby's piddly raise/extension story.
Man your post sure would’ve showed Jacoby!! I bet he doesn’t even want his money now after seeing what Goff got!!

There are certainly going to be huge differences in the deals, but Goff’s extension is worth roughly $32M per year, whereas Brissett is at $28M. Yes, I get that you can’t compare the total guaranteed, etc. because it’s no contest, but just consider in comparing the AAV of 32 vs 28, Goff is a 2X Pro-Bowl, reigning NFC Champion, former #1 overall pick, and has 60 TDs and 20 INTs since that train wreck Jeff Fisher rookie year.

Brissett was by and wide considered a backup quarterback by virtually everyone in the league until a week ago, at which point Luck’s retirement propelled him into borderline elite QB territory, based on the Colts contract given to him for 2020.

There are certainly going to be huge differences in the deals, but Goff’s extension is worth roughly $32M per year, whereas Brissett is at $28M. Yes, I get that you can’t compare the total guaranteed, etc. because it’s no contest, but just consider in comparing the AAV of 32 vs 28, Goff is a 2X Pro-Bowl, reigning NFC Champion, former #1 overall pick, and has 60 TDs and 20 INTs since that train wreck Jeff Fisher rookie year.

Brissett was by and wide considered a backup quarterback by virtually everyone in the league until a week ago, at which point Luck’s retirement propelled him into borderline elite QB territory.
I agree. His post was one of the douchiest I’ve seen in a while.

I agree. His post was one of the douchiest I’ve seen in a while.

Ehhh...thanks for the support, but it’s all good. @venecol is a good poster and was just making a joke.

Ehhh...thanks for the support, but it’s all good. @venecol is a good poster and was just making a joke.
I’m not condemning him as a poster or anything. I just don’t get why he felt the need to downplay Jacobys extension as “piddly”. Brissett by all accounts is a great teammate and happy go lucky guy. I’m rooting for him to do well as much as I can for any Colt.

Brissett was by and wide considered a backup quarterback by virtually everyone in the league until a week ago, at which point Luck’s retirement propelled him into borderline elite QB territory, based on the Colts contract given to him for 2020.

Sounds like Goff should have hired Brissett to negotiate for him :D

I don't get what the Colts get from this, other than preserving the franchise tag for future use (since they wouldn't need to use it next year).

The Colts just committed $28 million of critically needed revenue that Jim Irsay would have spread among Greater Indianapolis' neediest drug dealers and defense attorneys. There goes another well-intentioned economic development plan down the drain.

Patriots had 3 starting calibre QBs on the 2017 pre-season roster.

Pats kept the best one and pay him the least :confused:

No, Brady has a three year deal at $23M, $30M and $32M with an out clause in 2020. Brady's deal is more than twice Brissett's and for one year longer if both sides agree to continue into years two and three.

yes, better than if they had no quarterback for 2020

How does signing Hoyer and extending a player that would have been there anyway constitute as some kind of PR move?

You think anyone in Indianapolis now feels better about Luck retiring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes