PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colts give Brissett $28M, mostly guaranteed in 2020, for no reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Patriots and Belichick stumbled ass backwards into the greatest QB of all time. (They should build 3 statues outside Gillette: Bill Belichick, Tom Brady and **** Rehbein.)

This leads many Patriots fans to lose perspective regarding how difficult it really is to fill the QB position on the roster, so they arrogantly look down upon any QB decision other teams make.

The Hoyer deal I get and relative for what other backup QBs make both sides found a happy middle ground.

But what pressure was there to extend JB now instead of letting him play out his previous deal?

This is really not about looking down on lesser QBs but more about business decisions. A least for me.

The Hoyer deal I get and relative for what other backup QBs make both sides found a happy middle ground.

But what pressure was there to extend JB now instead of letting him play out his previous deal?
I don't know if I would use the word "pressure" but fact is he was in the final year of his contract. By extending him today at the dollars he would have earned anyway with the franchise tag, the Colts gain some cap flexibility and have a quality QB under contract for 2 years instead of just 1.

the colts remind me of this guy

upload_2019-9-3_10-49-41.png

Nice kid, but what do the Colts think they have in Brissette?
Obviously a young starting QB familiar with their system. I only saw him play during a preseason game, and to my untrained eye, he looked pretty good. Well, good enough. Completed 80% of his passes and had good mobility. Maybe they see/know (or pray) that he has developed enough?

Locker room economics are an often overlooked aspect with some of these contracts. The Colts said they were all in with Brissett and also paid Hoyer. It sets the hierarchy that Brissett is the guy in the locker room. The deal gives the Colts flexibility going forward. If they’re right they have him at below market value, if they’re wrong the deal is front loaded and they are in position to draft a QB high in all likelihood. It looks like a good deal for both sides. I think he more suited to be a high end backup QB but time will tell.

You mean like NE was prepared for Gronks retirement?
Gronk's retirement did not hamstring the Pats offense. They'll be just fine without him.

Gronk's retirement did not hamstring the Pats offense. They'll be just fine without him.
And we'll see what losing Luck actually does to a team that have had 2 years to hedge their bets

Meth is one helluva drug.

Could be, although that number is averaged across four seasons, and all cash payments get included, so Luck's pro-rated signing bonus still is in play.

Also the penalty for not spending up to 89% only gets triggered end of 2020 season, and the remedy is: pay out the unspent money as a player's bonus! It's not like they get any sort of other penalty, other than public embarrassment for not putting the money into contracts for good players.

Ref: What is the 89% rule?

There's that, plus the fact that their owner is a crack head spending his inheritance like a drunken sailor on vintage guitars, and all their fans run meth labs.

None of that helps, I understand that. Think of the implications of geography as it pertains to Indy tho and all the other issues make perfect sense

Trying to construct a scenario whereby this can somehow be seen as another part of Deflategate Karma.

No Grigson
No Mike Adams saying the ball he picked felt "soft"
No Mortensen pack of lies.
No suspension for Brady.
No showcasing of Brissett, including subbing for Jimmy G., beating the Texans and playing the Bills game with a busted thumb...the stuff of legends.
No trade to the Colts.
No $30MM contract for a good guy who would probably have never seen that kind of payday.
Works for me...more power to ya, Jacoby....take the Dolts and their addled owner for all their worth.

OK Ultraviolet Thunder, lmao

View attachment 24048

I don’t really understand why this is worthy of ridicule, other than the tone/style of the message. An NFL player who isn’t a theoretical rookie should indeed not be paid based on what the team hopes he will become, contrary to all relevant indicators like poor past performance with the same team. Brissett was 4-11 with an 81 passer rating and abysmal 5.26 ANY/A. They’re basically saying, well, we’re asking you to play the same position as Andrew Luck, so we’re going to pay you the same salary range as Luck.

Granted. Hoyer’s $4M deal made it more logical to give Brissett a raise, but that is quite a leap from the $4M for Hoyer to $28M. That’s insane. Brady makes 27.5M; Rodgers is highest paid, I believe, at somewhere near $33M. This is a guy who last week was probably not going to get more than $5M on the open market. The only thing that’s changed about him is the circumstances, NOT the player.

I don’t really understand why this is worthy of ridicule, other than the tone/style of the message. An NFL player who isn’t a theoretical rookie should indeed not be paid based on what the team hopes he will become, contrary to all relevant indicators like poor past performance with the same team. Brissett was 4-11 with an 81 passer rating and abysmal 5.26 ANY/A. They’re basically saying, well, we’re asking you to play the same position as Andrew Luck, so we’re going to pay you the same salary range as Luck.

Granted. Hoyer’s $4M deal made it more logical to give Brissett a raise, but that is quite a leap from the $4M for Hoyer to $28M. That’s insane. Brady makes 27.5M; Rodgers is highest paid, I believe, at somewhere near $33M. This is a guy who last week was probably not going to get more than $5M on the open market. The only thing that’s changed about him is the circumstances, NOT the player.
Maybe the tone. It's all good, sorry not trying to ridicule.

1. This isn't 2017, different team, plus apparently more development by JB and they believe in him;
2. This is more about $15M/yr not $28M for 2020;
3. There are so many different aspects going on with that team that we just don't know enough to just make this about comparing his salary to other QBs, imo.
4. Why do we even care?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing