PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colts give Brissett $28M, mostly guaranteed in 2020, for no reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
2) The reason is they need to spend cash to achieve the 89%

The narrative that they paid JB that much or the even more ridiculous take that they "overpaid" Hoyer to reach that is so silly. They have a couple good players on their roster they could extend at any point a bit ahead of time just to hit the floor. There is no need to throw out cash on two backup level QBs.

The main reason I liked Hoyer as a backup QB here is because he cost us nothing.

I don’t hate this, I think Brissett will do enough that if it’s an overpay, it won’t be that bad. I think he’s going to play really well and they’ll going to get him on a pretty good value for that deal.

He should be on a prove it contract until he proves it. Hell, throw a ton of incentives at him. But this makes no sense unless you really believe that Jacoby is a Franchise Tag level QB and I'm sorry he just isn't.

Lol at all the paper GMs in the forum. I'm pretty certain we don't know every aspect discussed between the parties as part of the deal. Anyway, a good agreement is one in which both parties benefit, and I don't see a down side for either party here.
Great deal for everybody except for the Colts.

What a trainwreck if they bench Brisset and put in Hoyer.

this thread is unintentionally hillarious.

Exhibit Z-22 of the fact that Patriots fans have zero sense of perspective when it comes to the value of adequate quarterback play.

Let's look at the colts' options. They've built on their roster and have a lot of young talent on D. They did this to support Luck, but Luck's not here, but as a result, by accident or design, they have, at least on paper, the kind of team that doesn't abslutely require a superstar QB.

And lo and behold, the have a QB left who isn't a superstar, but did alright as a game managing QB with a terrible roster in 2017 despite the fact that he probably shouldn't have started at all and led the league in getting grass on the back of his jersey all year

Jacoby Brissett was the Colts' QB2. Does that automatically mean he's "a backup QB?" No. One does not necessarily mean the other.

The Colts have clearly viewed Brissett as a developmental piece, not a backup. They went out of the way to praise his leadership and character despite the fact that he was barely on the field last year. Their overall impression of Brissett is that he did alright with what he had to work with in 2017. And with the health issues to Luck they've been on record saying they're glad they had a strong replacement (note: REPLACEMENT, not BACKUP) in the wings just in case.

Well "just in case" just happened. And the Colts are understandably nervous but they're saying all the right noises so we'll just have to see. One thing is clear, the Colts never viewed Jacoby Brissett as "a backup quarterback." Their view of Brissett is the same one I had since her was here - a potential midtier starter who's a great leader and has chutzpah and an iron will out there. If they pay him like they see him, with the goal of removing any form of contract drama or quarterback controversy is probably a good thing. Let him focus exclusively on developing and leading the team. That's where he's needed most.

A guy worth about a $5M last week is worth $28M for the 2020 season (2-year extension REPLACES old contract and gives an additional year at $28M.)

Brissett is now paid more than Tom Brady and more than Andrew Luck was scheduled to make.

The story is that this an “early franchise tag,” except that $20M is guaranteed, so if he flops (or say, goes 4-12 again), the Colts are now chained to this contract and likely can’t be in the QB market until at least 2021. Meanwhile, it underscores that the franchise tag would have in fact been an option if this was the route they wanted to go at the time. In other words, there is zero reason to take this risk. Seems that Ballard has finally come around to seeing things the Colt way.

Jacoby Brissett basically gets the franchise tag early
But, but they played in the Patriots "system"....:D.

Ha ha. Dopes

You guys are missing the larger problem for Indy. It’s geographical not monetary.

They were probably below the minimum spend of 89% so just gave Jacoby some money.
Could be, although that number is averaged across four seasons, and all cash payments get included, so Luck's pro-rated signing bonus still is in play.

Also the penalty for not spending up to 89% only gets triggered end of 2020 season, and the remedy is: pay out the unspent money as a player's bonus! It's not like they get any sort of other penalty, other than public embarrassment for not putting the money into contracts for good players.

Ref: What is the 89% rule?
You guys are missing the larger problem for Indy. It’s geographical not monetary.
There's that, plus the fact that their owner is a crack head spending his inheritance like a drunken sailor on vintage guitars, and all their fans run meth labs.

The narrative that they paid JB that much or the even more ridiculous take that they "overpaid" Hoyer to reach that is so silly. They have a couple good players on their roster they could extend at any point a bit ahead of time just to hit the floor. There is no need to throw out cash on two backup level QBs.

The main reason I liked Hoyer as a backup QB here is because he cost us nothing.

If they win 8/9 games this year (Raiders, Texans, Broncos, Dolphins, Bucs, Titans @ home) and play better than expected he will cost at least 20M+ next year (JG situation). If he is only a JAG or a decent QB he is a nice piece to trade (his cap will be VERY small because his base salary is small). Maybe they can buy an extra 3rd. Teams are always looking for this kind of deal.

the colts have over $85M of cap space in 2020 plus the carryover from the unused portion from this year's current total of $56M.

The team decided to pay 2 quarterbacks through 2020 and avoid any discussions before the 2020 season, other than at the time of the draft.

As far as public relations and selling seats, this was probably a good move. They have money to burn, so they decided to show confidence in their quarterbacks.

After all, this is a team where fans are calling in to get refunds on their season tickets. Public relations is important.
========
Tha alternative was to let the QB issue dominate their season and offseason.

the colts have over $85M of cap space in 2020 plus the carryover from the unused portion from this year's current total of $56M.

The team decided to pay 2 quarterbacks through 2020 and avoid any discussions before the 2020 season, other than at the time of the draft.

As far as public relations and selling seats, this was probably a good move. They have money to burn, so they decided to show confidence in their quarterbacks.

After all, this is a team where fans are calling in to get refunds on their season tickets. Public relations is important.
========

How does signing Hoyer and extending a player that would have been there anyway constitute as some kind of PR move?

You think anyone in Indianapolis now feels better about Luck retiring?

========
But that still doesn't solve the quarterback "issue" in the eyes of Colts fans if Brissett continues as his mediocre self and Hoyer does no better. The team had to have some sense much earlier of Luck's unavailability and was woefully unprepared for it.

But that still doesn't solve the quarterback "issue" in the eyes of Colts fans if Brissett continues as his mediocre self and Hoyer does no better. The team had to have some sense much earlier of Luck's unavailability and was woefully unprepared for it.
What team has a good option when QB1 is lost for the season in training camp? The Patriots would be rolling with Hoyer and Stidham if Brady went out in the same time period. Who's the best possible attainable QB in the league right now? Tannehill?

What team has a good option when QB1 is lost for the season in training camp? The Patriots would be rolling with Hoyer and Stidham if Brady went out in the same time period. Who's the best possible attainable QB in the league right now? Tannehill?
Well, Tannehill arguably is better than Brissett. I don't know what kind of draft capital the Colts have that could've been applied to a suitable trade earlier in the summer, but Luck really left them hanging. I find myself wondering why I've cared enough to enter this thread and it just dawned on me that I'm embarrassed for that idiot Irsay after shooting himself in both feet with a bazooka.

Last edited:
Nice kid, but what do the Colts think they have in Brissette?

So dumb by Indy. I don’t get it.

But great job cashing in, Bro! I’m happy for you and your future generations.
I think I get the logic Indy used. They probably went to Brissett to ask about an extension but got refused. So they may have said "ok, well there's a good chance we're going to franchise you... but instead of franchising you, we will give you the same amount of money with half now, half later..."

Indy gains cap flexibility, Brissett gains some financial security in case the crap hits the fan.

Last edited:

========
Yup, a business decision.

this thread is unintentionally hillarious.

Exhibit Z-22 of the fact that Patriots fans have zero sense of perspective when it comes to the value of adequate quarterback play.
The Patriots and Belichick stumbled ass backwards into the greatest QB of all time. (They should build 3 statues outside Gillette: Bill Belichick, Tom Brady and **** Rehbein.)

This leads many Patriots fans to lose perspective regarding how difficult it really is to fill the QB position on the roster, so they arrogantly look down upon any QB decision other teams make.

He should be on a prove it contract until he proves it. Hell, throw a ton of incentives at him. But this makes no sense unless you really believe that Jacoby is a Franchise Tag level QB and I'm sorry he just isn't.

That's not how the NFL QB market works.

You mean like NE was prepared for Gronks retirement? Sh**t happens and then you deal with it best way you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes