PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coaches are Bad, People are Stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.

aluminum seats

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
You know, we’ve got this angst with how stupid people can be with things like deflategate, how fanbases seem so dense so much of the time, etc. All true…but sometimes I think it’s even worse than we think. I mean, shouldn’t head coaches have some basic level of intelligence? Just from yesterday:

--Redskins coach Jay Gruden seemed to suggest he didn’t know games could end in a tie. I may almost give him a pass on this, if what he meant was, how strange it is that two teams can go a whole sudden death quarter without scoring. But the possibility exists he didn’t know the rules.

--Chargers coach Mike McCoy. The Chargers score a TD to get to within 5 with about 8 minutes left. Plenty of time left, a lot can happen, kick the point and play the game...get to within 4, because then you’re still within 7 if the Broncos kick a FG. But no, he wants to go for 2, get within 3. I disagree, but whatever. Penalty against SD on the attempt. Oh well, kick it now, right? Nope. Go for it again from a mile away. Fails, what a shocker.

As it turns out, the Chargers faltered on their last drive, but is there ANY doubt that if they had scored the 2-pt attempt to tie would have failed?

Yeah, thank god for Belichick, of course. But the horrible incompetence of so many actually just ticks me off. Get a freaking brain already.

You can include the Eagles coach in there. Late in the 4th quarter, in a tie game, the Cowboys face a 3rd and 20 from their own 18 with 30 seconds left. The Eagles have all three timeouts remaining, but let the remaining time in the game expire. Why not call a timeout and force Dallas to run another play? Chances are that Dallas would have run the ball, Philadelphia would use their second TO, Dallas would punt and the Eagles would have the ball, 1 timeout and maybe 20 seconds to try and win the game. The odds aren't in the Eagles favor that something positive would have happened, but you never know. A bad punt, a good return, a big play by the offense...why not give it a shot?

You can say it's easy to make that call when you're sitting at home or playing a video game, but Dallas just called all their timeouts on defense to prevent the Eagles from running out the clock on the drive preceding this one.

You can include the Eagles coach in there. Late in the 4th quarter, in a tie game, the Cowboys face a 3rd and 20 from their own 18 with 30 seconds left. The Eagles have all three timeouts remaining, but let the remaining time in the game expire. Why not call a timeout and force Dallas to run another play? Chances are that Dallas would have run the ball, Philadelphia would use their second TO, Dallas would punt and the Eagles would have the ball, 1 timeout and maybe 20 seconds to try and win the game. The odds aren't in the Eagles favor that something positive would have happened, but you never know. A bad punt, a good return, a big play by the offense...why not give it a shot?

You can say it's easy to make that call when you're sitting at home or playing a video game, but Dallas just called all their timeouts on defense to prevent the Eagles from running out the clock on the drive preceding this one.

Can you imagine if **** Vermeil was watching?

I'm at a loss to explain such simple mistakes, too. During the season, coaches typically work 80-120 hour weeks. I can sort of understand but will still not give a pass that maybe coaches are so focused on their opponent this week that they overlook the unexpected AND basic football knowledge.

Coaches put players thru the drills to make sure they execute the basics, so why don't they know the basics of overtime and time management inside the two minute warning?

Can you imagine if **** Vermeil was watching?

I'm at a loss to explain such simple mistakes, too. During the season, coaches typically work 80-120 hour weeks. I can sort of understand but will still not give a pass that maybe coaches are so focused on their opponent this week that they overlook the unexpected AND basic football knowledge.

Coaches put players thru the drills to make sure they execute the basics, so why don't they know the basics of overtime and time management inside the two minute warning?
This all fits into my theory that overwhelmingly, NFL head coaches are stupid and/or cowardly. Exhibit A is BB making them look like idiots for a decade and a half.

And here’s another example…There’s this team, coasting along into the break, healthy, best record in the league. So what do they do? They give away a guy who most consider to be one of their top defensive players, one of the best LBs in the league, for pennies on the dollar. Why? Who knows. Maybe so that instead of winning a Super Bowl this year they can get a draft pick for next year that will allow them to continue to be in the mix every year, but only actually win one Super Bowl in the last 12 years, even though they’ve got the GOAT at QB, who has as many Super Bowl victories in that time as Joe Flacco, and half as many as Eli Manning.

(Sorry, just feeling a little bitter…I’m sure I’ll be defending the trade by tomorrow and by next week rolling my eyes at the pointless contrarians who don’t like it.)

And here’s another example…There’s this team, coasting along into the break, healthy, best record in the league. So what do they do? They give away a guy who most consider to be one of their top defensive players, one of the best LBs in the league, for pennies on the dollar. Why? Who knows. Maybe so that instead of winning a Super Bowl this year they can get a draft pick for next year that will allow them to continue to be in the mix every year, but only actually win one Super Bowl in the last 12 years, even though they’ve got the GOAT at QB, who has as many Super Bowl victories in that time as Joe Flacco, and half as many as Eli Manning.

(Sorry, just feeling a little bitter…I’m sure I’ll be defending the trade by tomorrow and by next week rolling my eyes at the pointless contrarians who don’t like it.)
Really, "dislikes," @rochrist and @QuantumMechanic ? Am I not allowed to vent a little as a loyal fan, even acknowledging I'll probably end up liking the trade? You cut me, boys. You cut me real deep just now. (Sorry, the kids have Shrek on.)

Last edited:
Why should a coach study the game and be situationally aware? Isn't that what refs and Commissioners are for? They'll help you out for sake of parity. :oops:. .... This is why football is boring anymore.

I remember a long time a go a coach who opted to pass. :D

Otherwise he was a great cheerleader coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back