PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cleveland Plain-Dealer: Pioli could interview with Chiefs today, then make choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
like nearly everyone out here, i hope we keep Scott. But the attraction of going to the Browns with Josh and rebuilding one of the storied franchises of the NFL back to glory must be great. He is, though, a fool to go there if the Browns decide they like Mangini as HC. That would tell me that their ownership "doesn't get it."

I love how when people lose an argument here, they give you negative reps and run away like little girls. At least be brave enough to sign them, its not too hard to tell who did it so you arent really being anonymous.

im sorry if your feeling were hurt because you were wrong.

Scott Pioli is probably envious of his former underling in Atlanta.

In one year Tom Dimitroff transformed the Falcons into a playoff team.

The fly in the ointment would be if the Browns or Chiefs deny Pioli the

authority to pick his own coach. I think Pioli will walk away from the

money if a coach like Mangini is forced upon him.

Agreed 100% and, since it would show that the Cleveland organization is out to lunch, would be a killer argument for him not to go there.

I love how when people lose an argument here, they give you negative reps and run away like little girls. At least be brave enough to sign them, its not too hard to tell who did it so you arent really being anonymous.

im sorry if your feeling were hurt because you were wrong.

The rep situation is set up as anonymous by Ian. He could change it if he chose, so he clearly wants it that way. I get those same negatives, as do others. Just live with them.

Not to nitpick...But the Chiefs were 13-3 and the #2 seed in 2003, just missed the playoffs at 10-6 in 2005 and made the playoffs in 2006, so they have "sniffed" the playoffs. And any new GM has the right to ax any coach he wants so that isnt an issue either.

Nitpick away, I was wrong. I guess because of the last couple of years I just lumped their recent history in with the Raiders track. I forgot about Ty Law and his picks on Manning in the playoff game, and the fact their entire offense was on Johnson's shoulders that year.

As far as GM goes though, GM say on head coaches is not an absolute. That decision may well be owner dictated or at least require owner sanctioning. It depends on the particular job description given the position by the owner.

Last edited:
P.S. Spacecrime, are you related to Kevin Spacey? Just asking.
His father, hence the shades of The Scarlet letter user name.
eat-drink-smiley-7838.gif

like nearly everyone out here, i hope we keep Scott. But the attraction of going to the Browns with Josh and rebuilding one of the storied franchises of the NFL back to glory must be great. He is, though, a fool to go there if the Browns decide they like Mangini as HC. That would tell me that their ownership "doesn't get it."

Actually were Pioli to sign with Cleveland knowing Mangenius was the HC, I'd question my high opinion of Pioli. For Scott he whole idea of leaving the Pats should be for a total control, final say position w/o owner interference. Otherwise it's a major career mistake.

Thats just ridiculous. And unfair to Scott Pioli. Does he have total control here? Has he reached the highest level he can go here?
No.

In Cleveland or KC he can be in total control of the organization. Will he get more money? Of course, but if you were a floor manager at Sears and someone offered you to chance to run JC Penney totally and make more money doing so, would that make you greedy? Of course not.

Pioli has served New England well and he deserves his chance to move up in life.

Recent quotes from Pioli on how he feels about other job opportunities and the challenge in New England:
Groundhog Day : Patriots Daily

In early 07, Pioli told WEEI:

“It comes down to quality of life and happiness. No disrespect to any other job opportunities that may have been out there or may come in the future, but you know what my dream job is? My dream job is being with people I care about, people that I want to work with, people that I enjoy coming to work with every day, whether it’s coaches or ownership or the players. We’ve built something here that is pretty special. Quality of life has more to do with being happy, coming to work every day, and winning. The other thing that’s paramount is we’re winning here. It’s a great situation, with a lot of great people, and I enjoy being here.”

At last year’s Super Bowl, reporters again asked Pioli about the challenge of running his own team:

“What’s wrong with this challenge?” Pioli said. “Why can’t the natural progression to be part of a team that is good as long as possible?”

“Sustained success is the most elusive thing in this sport … Why isn’t that a greater challenge?”

Recent quotes from Pioli on how he feels about other job opportunities and the challenge in New England:
Groundhog Day : Patriots Daily

In early 07, Pioli told WEEI:

“It comes down to quality of life and happiness. No disrespect to any other job opportunities that may have been out there or may come in the future, but you know what my dream job is? My dream job is being with people I care about, people that I want to work with, people that I enjoy coming to work with every day, whether it’s coaches or ownership or the players. We’ve built something here that is pretty special. Quality of life has more to do with being happy, coming to work every day, and winning. The other thing that’s paramount is we’re winning here. It’s a great situation, with a lot of great people, and I enjoy being here.”

At last year’s Super Bowl, reporters again asked Pioli about the challenge of running his own team:
“What’s wrong with this challenge?” Pioli said. “Why can’t the natural progression to be part of a team that is good as long as possible?”

“Sustained success is the most elusive thing in this sport … Why isn’t that a greater challenge?”

Zactly. So either Pioli's just recently made a complete 360, or he's doing those interviews for another reason(s). Gather some info,get a feel for what's going on around the league,open up some dialogue with RAC-who knows-knowing how the Pats roll it could be anything.

Until it's official I think/hope he stays.

Interestingly,Shanahan's also put the Browns on hold until after his vaca which could work well for him-kinda bide him some time to see where all this goes before he dabbles in Cleveland's hornet's nest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents