PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Clarification on why Thomas remains with the team

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they could boot him off the premises as "Conduct Detrimental" and if they lose the inevitable arbitration, they just have to pay him anyway. And in that case, they might even score a roster exemption.

what 'conduct detrimental'? he was late one day and then talked to the press.

what 'conduct detrimental'? he was late one day and then talked to the press.

Slander and libel against the Jetsons. Insinuating that the Jetsons can up and disobey traffic laws whenever they feel like it, by flying over other vehicles, is unacceptable. The Jetsons do not like being misrepresented as malcontents.

If he is suspended/deactivated, does that open up a roster spot for us?

Talking to the press and questioning the coach.

Don't think that would be enough. I think it would be on the Brandon Marshall level, which it may get to this week.

Thomas is going to be a massive PIA until the season is over. He knows he's getting paid no matter what, and can behave however he choses. He doesn't live for football like some of these other guys, and is likely content to chill at home and play his xbox. There is, however a solution.

I'd like to see a defensive captain speak out against AD. All he would have to say is that AD is not a member of this football team, nobody here respects him, and no attention is paid to his antics. The New England Patriots aren't about underachieving, overcompensated divas. I've been dying for Mayo to step up and say something to this effect.

I'd like to see a defensive captain speak out against AD. All he would have to say is that AD is not a member of this football team, nobody here respects him, and no attention is paid to his antics. The New England Patriots aren't about underachieving, overcompensated divas. I've been dying for Mayo to step up and say something to this effect.

You know that that will break a cardinal rule of BB's which is to deal with all team matters behind doors, and never never air it out in public or with the media.

That would be helpful?

I don't want any player talking about Thomas. I want them talking about the Bills.

If a player is problem by b****ing to the media, I don't want another player going to the media and b*****ing about that player b****ing to the media.

B**** to each other with the doors closed. Anything else is part of the problem.

Last edited:
He'll be on the Jets next year with all the other yappers i.e. Bart Scott

The answer would appear to be it depends. A coach can bar a player from facilities if he is a disruptive force, but the T.O. decision made it fairly clear he presented a unique problem. That doesn't mean the team can refuse to pay him.

This is not Philly's Owens situation, so who knows how it would turn out if attempted. Nobody really knows what is going on inside with this, and Thomas would not be the first player to openly criticize a head coach's decision. Telling a player to go away and stay away is not a common response.

I believe the McNair issue was a lock-out from the offseason workout program claiming potential liability for big money if he injured himself. That was more a matter of money than it was a head coach's authority to run his team (the Titans would willingly allow him back if he restructured, and McNair was not a disruption to any team activity).

Last edited:
The answer would appear to be it depends. A coach can bar a player from facilities if he is a disruptive force, but the T.O. decision made it fairly clear he presented a unique problem. That doesn't mean the team can refuse to pay him.

This is an interesting set of problems for BB. First, if BB does bar AD from the premises, the motive must survive the inevitable Union grievance and the arbitration process, because he risks losing the grievance and being required to allow AD back onto the premises (and you know AD will be that much worse of malcontent).

However, one must ask, is it worth it to go through this process when it can easily distract the younger players from the overall goal of trying to make a run in the playoffs?

For that reason, I don't think you will see BB make a move in that regard unless it is absolutely necessary.

Thomas may be the first ex-Patriot player to bad mouth BB if and when he gets released. I can't recall of any other with the exception of Cobbs who was a basic nobody.

I think you are technically correct. The bad mouthing happened from traded players or players not resigned (versus released players). Ty law called BB a liar, etc etc. However, in many of the other cases, one could argue it was simply hurt feelings, business positioning, or stuff like that from players who were earning/close to earning their keep/at least solidly contributing. AD is crud. He is making very good dollars and performing like he deserves vet minimum. For the money he is making and how little an impact he is making, he ought to be the first guy in and the last guy out ever damn day (ESPECIALLY after the Miami loss). He ought to be the first guy up their taking the loss on his shoulders and pointing the finger at himself. He should have, like Burgess did to an extent, been saying it was his own fault for being late and it won't happen again.

AD's cap value is, probably, the least on the team (cap amount versus level of play). The guy isn't a Patriot type player and BB/SP deserve the blame for not knowing this before they signed him. Obviously those dollars could have been spent so much more wisely (and those FA signing dollars are mistakes that are really hurting the Patriots right now). I am a diehard BB loyalist and wouldn't want any other coach, however, it is what is on the FA dollars squandered.

You know that that will break a cardinal rule of BB's which is to deal with all team matters behind doors, and never never air it out in public or with the media.

You are absolutely correct. No need to make this situation more of a distraction. Perhaps something has been said behind closed doors.

You are absolutely correct. No need to make this situation more of a distraction. Perhaps something has been said behind closed doors.

What I want to know is what was said behind closed doors between BB and Thomas and Pees and Thomas. You'd think Thomas would find it in his best interest to play hard and then ask to be traded or released when the season's over.

What I want to know is what was said behind closed doors between BB and Thomas and Pees and Thomas. You'd think Thomas would find it in his best interest to play hard and then ask to be traded or released when the season's over.

If you do find out, then someone has broken the cardinal rule.

I agree with what would seem to be in Thomas' best interests, but someone mentioned in another thread that Ryan is probably whispering in AD's ear so he has little incentive to change his behavior, that and the ridiculous amount of money he is making whether he plays or not.

When its kept behind doors, it can be fixed. If someone came out and said something like this, it woudl just get worse.

If you do find out, then someone has broken the cardinal rule.

I agree with what would seem to be in Thomas' best interests, but someone mentioned in another thread that Ryan is probably whispering in AD's ear so he has little incentive to change his behavior, that and the ridiculous amount of money he is making whether he plays or not.

If Ryan is saying anything to Thomas, its tampering.

As unfortunate as this situation is, nice to see Warren calling out AD and Guyton returning to the facility to make up for the time he missed. Sounds like the kid gets it.

Last edited:
I'd like to see a defensive captain speak out against AD. All he would have to say is that AD is not a member of this football team, nobody here respects him, and no attention is paid to his antics. .

Wow... you just got your wish jays52, Warren has just spoken out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST