PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chucky being named Raiders coach on Tuesday.

I'm surprised he actually did it. Thought he'd stay in the booth

Guess Gruden had African-American checked off on the application so there was no Rooney Rule violation.

Well, if any of you were wondering whether politics or competence is more important to the NFL hiring process, here's your answer.

Merge into the coaching around the leagur mega thread?

I think Gruden has been in the booth too long to be successful in his return to coaching. We’ll see what happens but that’s my view of it.

Denver's defense is getting old, KC might lose Alex Smith, the Raiders just went all in on a coach who's been in broadcasting for the past 11 years, and the Chargers are still the Chargers. The winner of that division next year should get a participation ribbon instead of a playoff spot.

I think Gruden has been in the booth too long to be successful in his return to coaching. We’ll see what happens but that’s my view of it.

Well, you had **** Vermeil who did college football play by play for 15 years and clearly kicked ass after being away so long. You could argue the Joe Gibbs was not successful however he did lead the Skins to the playoffs after they had been out for a while.

Its possible I guess. At least Gruden has been involved and I do think he has a ton of passion still for the game.

I’m somewhere in between on Gruden.

Seems like everyone thinks he’s either an elite coach, or a completely overrated coach because he never won much after his SB run with Tampa.

I think he’s a very good coach, just not among the elite ranks of coaching. I think he can do really well with talented rosters, but when he’s without top talent he struggles. This is pretty much most good coaches in the NFL. Only BB level coaches are capable of otherwise.

Something to note: name one QB the guy had from 2003-2008 when he struggled. (Chris Simms? Yikes.) He has a franchise QB now. (although we need to see exactly how good Carr is, I think he’s a franchise QB)

Whenever the guy had good QB play, he did well. So it will be interesting to watch what he has left in the tank as a coach and what he’ll do having a decent QB.

The Raiders after dropping a giant deuce this season, needed some more empfh for their pending move to Sin City. Now they have a high profile coach to put on all those billboards on the strip.

Carr's play dropped like a stone this year, I don't know why, lets see how he does running spy-k-z x-y-banana in Gruden's offense.

As Lone Star said, Gruden's not just doing it for the money, he's doing it for a **** ton of money!!

The Raiders after dropping a giant deuce this season, needed some more empfh for their pending move to Sin City. Now they have a high profile coach to put on all those billboards on the strip.

Carr's play dropped like a stone this year, I don't know why, lets see how he does running spy-k-z x-y-banana in Gruden's offense.

As Lone Star said, Gruden's not just doing it for the money, he's doing it for a **** ton of money!!

You're right. And when you're right you're right. And you? You're always right! Okay, we hire Gruden, but how? The moment we go up against a good offense their receivers are gonna blow us off the line?

Nah ah.

Uh huh!

Nah ah!

Uh huh!

Nah ah! Not if we JAM them!

... Ah hah! You're right!

I may need more sleep.

I’m somewhere in between on Gruden.

Seems like everyone thinks he’s either an elite coach, or a completely overrated coach because he never won much after his SB run with Tampa.

I think he’s a very good coach, just not among the elite ranks of coaching. I think he can do really well with talented rosters, but when he’s without top talent he struggles. This is pretty much most good coaches in the NFL. Only BB level coaches are capable of otherwise.

Something to note: name one QB the guy had from 2003-2008 when he struggled. (Chris Simms? Yikes.) He has a franchise QB now. (although we need to see exactly how good Carr is, I think he’s a franchise QB)

Whenever the guy had good QB play, he did well. So it will be interesting to watch what he has left in the tank as a coach and what he’ll do having a decent QB.
I wouldn't consider him an elite coach but definitely top 10 in the league. His time in Tampa was really hurt by bad QB. Simms and an old Jeff Garcia aren't winning you squat. Now that he has a good QB and talented squad, I think he'll surprise people next year if that team stays healthy.

I'm a Gruden fan, i think this is a great hire

10M per year for a SB-winning coach? Sure, that makes sense to me. Honestly, if you aren't willing to bet that your coach is worth $10M you probably shouldn't be hiring him in the first place.

But... giving a 10 year deal to a guy who hasn't coached in basically a decade? That's ****ing insanity. What happens if 4 years from now they haven't made meaningful progress and it becomes quickly apparent the game has passed Gruden by in the decade he's been away? You can't very well fire the guy, unless you're willing to eat $60M while he retires, which by the way is over 10% of Mark Davis' net worth.

I wouldn't consider him an elite coach but definitely top 10 in the league. His time in Tampa was really hurt by bad QB. Simms and an old Jeff Garcia aren't winning you squat. Now that he has a good QB and talented squad, I think he'll surprise people next year if that team stays healthy.
The only time he had a good QB in Tampa was when Brad Johnson played well in 2002.

The only time he had a good QB in Tampa was when Brad Johnson played well in 2002.
Rich Gannon was pretty good when he coached Oakland.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back