PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Christian Barmore

Draft a couple CBs and covert one of them
It worked with McCourty! A good FS in today's game has to be solid in pass coverage and be a solid tackler. There are always CB's in every draft that may not be top level CB's at the NFL level, but can be solid FS's.

Interesting thing about Barmore is that half the fans here didn't want him when he was picked.

There were fans who wanted a WR instead, and they named the WR we should've taken. He busted. As did the next 3 WRs after him.

Finally, a complaint was made that we traded two 4th round picks for a guy who would've been there at our pick of 46. But the only 4th round player available who even became decent was Da Moore the G from Pittsburgh. Everyone else is either a bust, a backup or meh.

I like reading some of those threads of players who hit for us just as a counterpoint to the constant, "We should've taken him instead..." when we miss
As I like to evaluate players entering each draft, I really did like the Barmore pick. He was pretty much the unanimous #1 Ranked true DT (and 3-4 DE in that draft (and had a 1st round grade). Getting him in the 2nd round was a steal (as even many Patriots hating draft guru's stated).

Draft a couple CBs and covert one of them
I’ve wondered about putting Jonathon Jones back there? He’s our fastest DB, is a solid tackler, knows the defense better than anyone in the secondary, has good change of direction skills. Can’t do it this year because of the injuries at CB, but I wonder about grabbing another outside CB in FA to pair with Gonzo and having Jones play the FS role next year.

I’ve wondered about putting Jonathon Jones back there? He’s our fastest DB, is a solid tackler, knows the defense better than anyone in the secondary, has good change of direction skills. Can’t do it this year because of the injuries at CB, but I wonder about grabbing another outside CB in FA to pair with Gonzo and having Jones play the FS role next year.
re CB I’m hoping Bolden can recover from his scary injury and become an elite CB as he seemed likely to be before he was injured.

Interesting thing about Barmore is that half the fans here didn't want him when he was picked.

There were fans who wanted a WR instead, and they named the WR we should've taken. He busted. As did the next 3 WRs after him.

Finally, a complaint was made that we traded two 4th round picks for a guy who would've been there at our pick of 46. But the only 4th round player available who even became decent was Da Moore the G from Pittsburgh. Everyone else is either a bust, a backup or meh.

I like reading some of those threads of players who hit for us just as a counterpoint to the constant, "We should've taken him instead..." when we miss
There was a post on here claiming that Tyler Shelvin (taken with one of those 4ths) was going to be the better player. That didn’t go well. His career appears to be over after 7 games played.

It also didn’t help that alternative draft value charts were gaining popularity around then, with ESPN claiming the Pats overpaid by 60% according to their values. Similar results from OverTheCap, who do a ton of awesome work with contracts but somehow think six 7ths are worth a 1st. At least they released the full chart for us to critique, unlike ESPN.

For a team who's OL has been struggling, Onwenu is a must sign.

I like our defense and would keep most of the starters if possible. Our DL/DEs are one of the better units in the league especially if Judon is back. Our DBs the same. We can upgrade at ILB but majority of FA signings should be on offense.

For a team who's OL has been struggling, Onwenu is a must sign.

I like our defense and would keep most of the starters if possible. Our DL/DEs are one of the better units in the league especially if Judon is back. Our DBs the same. We can upgrade at ILB but majority of FA signings should be on offense.
Agreed. I'd upgrade at CB we need someone to pair with gonzo. Jon Jones great player, but over 30 and injury prone. We need to add some depth on the D line.. wise and guy are getting older. Barmore is a beast. I like Tavai, and Bentley, but agree upgrade at ILB.

Tough, athletic interior player. He’s been terrific. Wise Jr has also been great, really has gone on to have a good season.
Finally

Agreed. I'd upgrade at CB we need someone to pair with gonzo. Jon Jones great player, but over 30 and injury prone. We need to add some depth on the D line.. wise and guy are getting older. Barmore is a beast. I like Tavai, and Bentley, but agree upgrade at ILB.
Don’t forget Keion White on the DL. And I’m still hoping Isiah Bolden recovers completely from his injury and plays up to the promise he showed at CB.

Don’t forget Keion White on the DL. And I’m still hoping Isiah Bolden recovers completely from his injury and plays up to the promise he showed at CB.
That's right how could I forget about Keion White. Guys been great this season. I know he's a sub rusher. But I'm expecting more from him come next season. Bolden yes I'm pulling for the kid. I hope he is able to return and play at a high level. Only if we could have the success with the offense that we have with the defense this team would be dangerous.

2 more tonight. Make that 7.5 on the season.

Agreed with other posters. Lock this guy up right away this offseason.

His rookie year I said Barmore could end up better than Vince Wolfork. People here snickered. Now it does not seem far-fetched. He is becoming a terror. Of course, I was wrong as hell about Jones.

He’s the perfect example of why tanking isn’t realistic. He could be going through the motions right now and helping the team get a better draft pick, but instead he’s adding tens of millions of dollars to his next contract.
Correction: a hundred million dollars

I think I remember it differently when Barmore was drafted. A lot of folks were happy as **** to land a 1st round talent at 38 when many resources had him at around 15. I do recall a thread earlier this year where someone said he was overrated which made me laugh.

Dude is crazy good.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back