PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chris Long says goodbye (won't be re-signing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't quite get his decision and find it disappointing. If it isn't about money, why doesn't he stay and work on carving out an even bigger role for himself on a team that likely will be in the playoffs again? So he'd rather go start for another also-ran?

Agree with this

His decision makes me wonder if I was wrong about the guy. I really liked him, and he said and did all the right things, but it's weird having him basically say he wasn't used as effectively as he thought he could be and is ready to leave.

Thank you Chris you gave everything you had for the Patriots. During the season you made many big plays. Best of luck with your new team and I hope they over pay for you. You deserve it you will always be remembered for the contributions you made for Lombardi number 5

The 2016 defensive crew was spacial. He'll be missed. Best wishes and thanks for all the fish! I mean the Lombardi.

Yet another moron. He makes no sense. He finally played on a playoff team. Won a SB. His Dad thought it's a great place for him.

Glad to show you the door. Appreciate everything you did, but you are a moron. Nowhere else is going to give you what you want. And for less money even?

Have fun when the realization that you are .500
or worse come December and most likely missing the playoffs.
You sound like a f###### jackass.

I don't suffer fools (or their sychophants) very well. You'd expect someone who rotted for years then got let go due to injuries to be a little more self aware about himself never being able to "get back to the player he was".

I'm suprised at the pass he's getting. I don't care if he stays or goes. Him basically saying they (BB) didn't use him properly is pathetic. Take of the blinders and see the insane stupidity that he is espousing.

Holy crap. Exactly when was it he banged your mom and did that nasty thing to your sister?

I loved him as a Patriot and was basically expecting him to be a 1 year guy anyway
He may be doing this to make a bid for the Hall of Fame now... he has a ring, now he needs to get his sack numbers up and he probably wouldn't get a great opportunity to do that here as a rotational 3rd down pass rusher

Sad to see him go, but no hard feelings. Thanks for all the memories Long!

QM is on the right track. This isn't about playing time, but rather how that time is played. Long was a true Patriot who did what the coaches asked all season long, DESPITE the fact he would have rather played a different role.

So given that he has his ring, why not go play someplace where his first concern isn't setting the edge, or maintaining "lane integrity", and just go balls out on every play. It's a lot more fun to do it that way, and at 32 why not go play more for the fun of it.

We also get an indication of just how hard it is to play for the Pats and why is truly is "not for everyone".....and why their mental toughness level is so high.

BTW- The recent Odrick sighting is now starting to make a LOT more sense (assuming we get the Miami Odrick and not the Jacksonville one).

He also has a lot better chance of making a claim for a Hall of Fame bid if he's allowed to go back to his traditional balls out style of play, attacking the QB relentlessly on every snap

He's a class act and so is his father.. sad to see him go but I'm really happy that he decided to come help us win #5

Similar to Bennett, Long had his moments, but was not an impact player and at times struggled. I think this is a mutual decision, BB wasn't too keen on re-signing him and he wants a bigger role (Which he won't get here). Congrats on the SB and was a positive influence.

Long had a nice season and a few huge plays. But with cap space and extra draft picks (technically just one extra but a 3&5 far outweighs a 6), plus lots of FA of our own, this is an offseason to rebuild some positions, DE at the top of the list. Long gone. Sheard likely gone. Nink heading into his last year. This position is about to see huge turnover.

So he got pissed off with Odrick visit perhaps?

In any case good luck Chris and thanks for giving you all this past season.

I liked Long, but he doesn't have much left in the tank and he might have given us his last best year in this last years SB run.
I think he wants another big paycheck and the patriots were not willing to due to the amount of snaps he was playing throughout the year.

He is a respectable and upfront guy, he sacrificed $$$ last year to come to NE to try to win a ring.

Don't most people say 'goodbye' after they've committed to a new team?

He also has a lot better chance of making a claim for a Hall of Fame bid if he's allowed to go back to his traditional balls out style of play, attacking the QB relentlessly on every snap

He's a class act and so is his father.. sad to see him go but I'm really happy that he decided to come help us win #5

Chandler Jones had no issues getting 10-12 sacks a season. I didn't study Long's role on the team. But I did watch him quite a few times trying to get after the QB and he didn't get home. He got stone walled most of the time. What did he end the season with 3-4 sacks?

I have no issue with him leaving and he was apart of one of the biggest defensive plays in the Super Bowl.

Good Luck Chris. I am sure the Patriots wanted you to get more sacks but I could be wrong.

Oh for #$(&#($& sake.

There was nothing in his statement that indicated he wasn't happy with what happened last year. In fact, everything he said was about how much he appreciated the experience. What he DID say is that he wanted to play more NEXT YEAR, with an implicit assumption that he wouldn't get that on the Pats. That's no reflection on this past year, but a preference for what happens in the future.

Yes, when you are a 32 year old professional athlete, there can be things that are more important than winning. Legitimate. Other. Priorities.

Agree with this

His decision makes me wonder if I was wrong about the guy. I really liked him, and he said and did all the right things, but it's weird having him basically say he wasn't used as effectively as he thought he could be and is ready to leave.

As numerous people pointed out nobody said that. This is people twisting and turning his words just to find something to whine and ***** about. He never criticized how he was being used but only said that he personally wanted to get back being more focused on pass rushing than the multitude of responsibilities he had here (setting edge, dropping into coverage..). Now whether this is a good move for himself and his longevity is his problem but while he was here he was all-in from the first day until the last day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe