PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Change the result of any playoff game in Pats history... at a price

Status
Not open for further replies.
i hate to give up any of the patriots super bowl wins, so...1996 for 2009. the '96 patriots lose the divisional game to the steelers. the '09 patriots make it to SB XLIV and lose to the saints. gives tom brady one more super bowl appearance and 3 more playoff wins.

i would have chosen the '85 patriots, but that means the jets beat them in the WC and make it to the super bowl, so can't have that happen.
But the Jets would have been spanked 46-10 though.

04 for 07 hands down

Second choice, 2011 AFC championship game win against ravens in exchange for 2006 against colts

No way we lose to the bears. Already have 6 rings

Lose to the ravens in the 2011 afc championship game, and win the 2015 afc championship against the Broncos..... gives us three in a row.

.....but of course I agree with everyone on getting 07 back.

Lots of thoughtful responses, but just want to reiterate that the rules of the game dictate that you can't make trades that result in more success than before. The Pats can only have won at most 5 Super Bowls and 9 AFC titles in their history total.

Trade 2011 AFCCG for 2006 AFCCG. Under the rules we would have to lose to the 06 Bears, but it would deprive Peyton a title while giving it to the living legend, Rex Grossman. It would also hurt Eli's legacy by drawing Rex Grossman comparisons.

The Pats blow the SuperBowl vs the Eagles, but complete the 18-0 Season.

19-0? we already went 18-0 then lost the last game.

No brainer for me.

Lose to the Chargers in the 06 divisional round if it means we beat the freaking Jets in 2010.

Given the rules of the game, this is my choice as well. The only issue is that I don't think there is enough magic in the hypothetical to let NE lose a playoff game to Pitt the following week.

NE has never humiliated a team in the SB via a blow out. My suggestion for BB and company....try scoring in the 1st quarter of a SB.

Such a strange thing...6 quarters without a point. Pats' worst games last year were all after the bye.

I definitely wouldn't object to the Pats winning an easy one someday.

i am thinking which trade i would choose comparing to 1976 loss with the Raiders...

that L was T E R R I B L E

Given the rules of the game, this is my choice as well. The only issue is that I don't think there is enough magic in the hypothetical to let NE lose a playoff game to Pitt the following week.
It's a very clever trade. It also removes our culpability in Peyton's first championship and lets us believe we have his number for a few more years.

I think no one has chosen to reverse the '86 or '96 Super Bowls. Diminishing Brady's stature even a little would be a huge price.

The Pats blow the SuperBowl vs the Eagles, but complete the 18-0 Season.

That sounds good until you take their 3 out of 4 in 2001/2003/2004 into account. If you take the Eagles out they don't have a dynasty, despite all their winning. As it stands they had a dynasty in the early 2000's and they once again have the opportunity to claim another dynasty if they win this season. That's unprecedented and it would make the Belichick/Brady Patriots the greatest team of all time, and it would be indisputable. Losing the undefeated season sucked but I'll take two bookend dynasties and the greatest team of all time over it.

I'll trade Adam Vinatieri missing SB 38's final field goal and trade it with SB 42 and have Randy Moss catch Brady's 3rd and 20 hail mary. Just have Corey Websters left ring finger be one inch shorter so Moss could haul it in and take it in for the touchdown to seal the win and be crowned the greatest team of all time.

Watch at :58 of how damn close that was. That damn finger of his haunts me to this day. However thank god for these last two superbowls really took a lot of the sting away.

It's amazing that all 5 teams the Patriots beat in Super Bowls were all great to historically great teams. Every single one of them. There was no 2006 Bears or 2015 Panthers, no flukes, no tomato cans in that group at all.

As for our losses, you could argue the 2007 Giants were great because of their defense. Even going back further, the 1996 Packers were historically great as was obviously the 85 Bears.

Only the 2011 Giants were a few notches below that level.

#1 with a bullet is the 07 Superbowl. I'd give up 38, 39, 49 or 51 in a heartbeat to have 07.

Easily #2 is the 06 AFCCG. That team beats Chicago just by showing up, you can take the 11 AFC Championship for that one, no sweat

It's amazing that all 5 teams the Patriots beat in Super Bowls were all great to historically great teams. Every single one of them. There was no 2006 Bears or 2015 Panthers, no flukes, no tomato cans in that group at all.

As for our losses, you could argue the 2007 Giants were great because of their defense. Even going back further, the 1996 Packers were historically great as was obviously the 85 Bears.

Only the 2011 Giants were a few notches below that level.
I'm not sure what you mean by "great". If you mean that the franchises were on a longstanding run of success, that only holds true with the Rams, Eagles, and Seahawks. The 2003 Panthers look pretty fluky. Six losing or 8/8 seasons before their Super Bowl year, 3 out of 4 losing seasons afterward. Best record in that run is 11/5 twice. The 2016 Falcons had three losing seasons before putting it together last season, and who knows how they'll fare in the future.

The Giants are in the dictionary under the word "fluke". Eli still hasn't won a playoff game aside from those two damn years. They're like if Kansas City put it all together twice in the last 10 years.

I think that's why all things told I don't automatically have the urge to reverse the Giants Super Bowls as much as I would have thought. Everyone knows those are fluky, weird wins. There's not a person on Earth would would take Eli over Aaron Rodgers, despite the fact that Eli has won more Super Bowls than Rodgers.

No changes. While the end of 2007 when it happened was devastating, the most recent two SB wins have erased the pain nicely! I am so glad that we have had sustained dominance for our team with several recent out-of-your-mind exciting finishes! The Pats, despite Roger Goodell's disparate and disgusting treatment of them, have been the best thing to happen to the NFL since 2001. Looking forward to another great season! Just imagine if we were Jets or Browns fans answering this poll. They'd have nothing to exchange for one great finish. We have our choice. We are so lucky!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents