PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chandler Jones thought he was going to be a NY Jet

Status
Not open for further replies.
:rofl:

The thread over at jetsinsider about this is hilarious. You have multiple posters saying Jones is a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Apparently Coples is a top ten pick and they all knew he was by far the best DE in the draft blah blah... idiots. "Coples by a mile, not even close"

Yes, I agree 100%, and if I were running the show I would trade Sanchez to the highest bidder, but if you accept as a given that Sanchez is the guy, then lighting a fire under him makes perfect sense.

While we're on the subject, Bill Walsh brought in Steve Young, to some extent, to do exactly that to Joe Montana.

ROFL. Joe Montana did not need Steve Young to light a fire under him. Joe Montana is an all time great. The reason steve walsh brought in Young is he saw the talent and potential in the kid. And Walsh was right. Young became Montana's dynastic heir.

Jones vs Coples. I am glad that the Jets passed on Jones. This is the same team that passed on Marino to draft Ken O Brien. So I am RELIEVED that they passed on Jones and took Coples. Makes me that much more optimistic about our pick! ;)

http://youtu.be/rZxNeFLuY98

"It's obvious to me right now that the Jets don't understand what the draft is all about."
LOL

Last edited:
Did the Jets decline as a result of those trades? That's the question, Einstein, and it requires speculation to assess the value of those trades. One's record can change for a variety of reasons because there are a TON of things that change from one year to the next.

You really should look in that earthling dictionary of yours and find "correlation" and then "causation".

here's exactly all words in your post....

What receiver available in the 5th would give them the impact that Holmes has?

Cromartie basically took Moss out of the game, allowing the Jets a much better chance of beating us, improving their chances to win the division.

The Jets improved as a result of those trades.

YOU are stating as a FACT that, using YOUR EXACT WORDS,"The Jets improved as a result of those trades."

Now, like the spoiled little sandbox brat you are, you come back with..One's record can change for a variety of reasons because there are a TON of things that change from one year to the next. ...well what is it??? The Jets improved as YOU STATED AS A FACT?...or "there's a ton of things that change every year" which, if we NOW accept as another of your "facts", then they negate ANY kind of "improvement" you THINK the Jets made with the acquisition of Holmes and resigning of Cromartie, and in essence defeats your initial stated "FACT".

Craziness...Cromartie takes Moss out of a game and you JUMP to the conclusion that THIS improves their chances of winning the division when they DIDN'T that year,or any year since...and ,as RECORDED AS FACT, they MISSED the playoffs entirely last season..."IMPROVEMENT!!!!"...you're either drunk or crazy...maybe both.

Who could the Jets get in the 5th that would be an improvement? Most people would say ANYBODY would be an improvement over that cancerous balloon head but if your point is there 's no way a team can make a pick in the 5th round that is any better than a malcontent like Santonio Holmes, I suggest you NEVER look at where Colston or Donald Driver were drafted.BTW, the Jets could have SAVED that fifth round pick they gave up for Holmes and signed LeGarrette Blount to a contract for free agent money and got themselves a 1000 yard rusher right out of the box. Anybody can play this stupid "what if" game of yours and spin off all kinds of fairy tale argument "winners!!!".

:rofl:

The thread over at jetsinsider about this is hilarious. You have multiple posters saying Jones is a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Apparently Coples is a top ten pick and they all knew he was by far the best DE in the draft blah blah... idiots. "Coples by a mile, not even close"
70-80% were PISSED minutes after they took Coples, that board blew up. Now that they got no other choice,they gotta live with it. So they jumped on the bandwagon and convinced themselves he will be an All Pro.

To be honest if Chandler Jones was our only first round pick, I would rather of had Hightower, I think Hightower is more of a sure thing. But having 2 picks in the first gives you he luxuary to take a shot.

Jones and Coples could both boom or bust, but I know one thing, they both would have a better chance to boom in NE, and go down in flames with the NYJ. esp Coples...I think he needs a strong locker room.

OF COURSE Coples is better than Jones. Haven't you guys been reading the news? Coples has learned the entire NYJ defense from a single practice! He's not only a beast, he's a football genius.

He doesn't even need to practice anymore: New York Jets hold first-round draft choice Quinton Coples out of drills Saturday but insist everything is fine - NYPOST.com

Rex Ryan so impressed with Quinton Coples, sits 1st-round pick in team drills to study others - The Washington Post

He's going to double as their defensive coordinator by mid season. He was a Communications major at North Carolina, an academic path comparable to engineering and pre-med, and will probably also revamp the Jets Communications Department by year end.

here's exactly all words in your post....

What receiver available in the 5th would give them the impact that Holmes has?

Cromartie basically took Moss out of the game, allowing the Jets a much better chance of beating us, improving their chances to win the division.

The Jets improved as a result of those trades.

YOU are stating as a FACT that, using YOUR EXACT WORDS,"The Jets improved as a result of those trades."

Now, like the spoiled little sandbox brat you are, you come back with..One's record can change for a variety of reasons because there are a TON of things that change from one year to the next. ...well what is it??? The Jets improved as YOU STATED AS A FACT?...or "there's a ton of things that change every year" which, if we NOW accept as another of your "facts", then they negate ANY kind of "improvement" you THINK the Jets made with the acquisition of Holmes and resigning of Cromartie, and in essence defeats your initial stated "FACT".

Craziness...Cromartie takes Moss out of a game and you JUMP to the conclusion that THIS improves their chances of winning the division when they DIDN'T that year,or any year since...and ,as RECORDED AS FACT, they MISSED the playoffs entirely last season..."IMPROVEMENT!!!!"...you're either drunk or crazy...maybe both.

Who could the Jets get in the 5th that would be an improvement? Most people would say ANYBODY would be an improvement over that cancerous balloon head but if your point is there 's no way a team can make a pick in the 5th round that is any better than a malcontent like Santonio Holmes, I suggest you NEVER look at where Colston or Donald Driver were drafted.BTW, the Jets could have SAVED that fifth round pick they gave up for Holmes and signed LeGarrette Blount to a contract for free agent money and got themselves a 1000 yard rusher right out of the box. Anybody can play this stupid "what if" game of yours and spin off all kinds of fairy tale argument "winners!!!".

Did the Jets improve at WR? Did they improve at corner? If they did then the Jets improved as a result of those trades.

You really should do some research before opening your mouth, guess what the Jets record DID improve after they got them! They went from 9-7 to 11-5, since that's all you're looking at I guess that does it.

Yes, great players have been found in later rounds but what are your chances of finding one? Do you seriously think the later rounds are littered with Pro-Bowlers? Child please!

The problem with that theory is that the "highest bidder" would be the Pottstown Firebirds. Of course, with the bloated contract the Jests just gave Sanchez, one could buy Pottstown or, for that matter, all of Pennsylvania (not that you'd get your money's worth with either deal...).

If the Pottstown Firebirds give me a roll of toilet paper and a half eaten Snickers bar in exchange for Sanchez I'll consider it a good day:D

ROFL. Joe Montana did not need Steve Young to light a fire under him. Joe Montana is an all time great. The reason steve walsh brought in Young is he saw the talent and potential in the kid. And Walsh was right. Young became Montana's dynastic heir.

Jones vs Coples. I am glad that the Jets passed on Jones. This is the same team that passed on Marino to draft Ken O Brien. So I am RELIEVED that they passed on Jones and took Coples. Makes me that much more optimistic about our pick! ;)

NY Jets Draft Blunders - YouTube

"It's obvious to me right now that the Jets don't understand what the draft is all about."
LOL

I never said Montana needed that motivation, but does it hurt to have someone nipping at his heels? Walsh got that and an incredibly talented but raw player that could potentially be an heir.

70-80% were PISSED minutes after they took Coples, that board blew up. Now that they got no other choice,they gotta live with it. So they jumped on the bandwagon and convinced themselves he will be an All Pro.

To be honest if Chandler Jones was our only first round pick, I would rather of had Hightower, I think Hightower is more of a sure thing. But having 2 picks in the first gives you he luxuary to take a shot.

Jones and Coples could both boom or bust, but I know one thing, they both would have a better chance to boom in NE, and go down in flames with the NYJ. esp Coples...I think he needs a strong locker room.

In all fairness, we all do the same thing. Jones wasn't on my pre-draft list, but now that we've picked him, I'm all for him, and see the glass as half-full rather than half-empty. If the Jets had picked Jones we'd all be bashing them for reaching for a guy who was a 2nd round talent and a fiction of Mike Mayock's imagination.

What I do like is that Jones clearly has a great motor and determination that is totally unrelated to his draft status. Coples is the opposite. That alone suggests to me that Jones has a better chance to succeed. And, as you say, I think either one would be in a better chance to succeed than either would with the Jets.

Coples is so awesome that Rex trusts him to pick up his Wendy's order.

In all fairness, we all do the same thing. Jones wasn't on my pre-draft list, but now that we've picked him, I'm all for him, and see the glass as half-full rather than half-empty. If the Jets had picked Jones we'd all be bashing them for reaching for a guy who was a 2nd round talent and a fiction of Mike Mayock's imagination.

What I do like is that Jones clearly has a great motor and determination that is totally unrelated to his draft status. Coples is the opposite. That alone suggests to me that Jones has a better chance to succeed. And, as you say, I think either one would be in a better chance to succeed than either would with the Jets.

No one with a sliver of knowledge called Jones a 2nd round talent

I never said Montana needed that motivation, but does it hurt to have someone nipping at his heels? Walsh got that and an incredibly talented but raw player that could potentially be an heir.

Thats not even close to accurate. Montana wasn't motivated by Young being there, and that was not close to Walsh's motivation.
Young and Montana were at odds, and both being there negatively affected the team, but Walsh accepted that so he an heir.

Thats not even close to accurate. Montana wasn't motivated by Young being there, and that was not close to Walsh's motivation.
Young and Montana were at odds, and both being there negatively affected the team, but Walsh accepted that so he an heir.

Not according to people on the team, who claimed that Walsh believed in "creative tension" and didnt want Montana to feel too comfortable. I believe it was in "Americas Game" that this was mentioned but I'll have to check.

Also, from what I read the tension between Montana and Young was kept rather professional when they were both on the 49ers but really grew after Montana was traded to KC.

No one with a sliver of knowledge called Jones a 2nd round talent

From Reiss:

One scout who worked on Jones told me he didn't have him rated as a first-rounder, in part because of his production, but loved everything about him from a complete package perspective. He described him as one of the safest picks among the ends in this draft.

Rapid reaction: Chandler Jones pick - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Or this, from Tony Pauline, who is fairly respected in scouting circles:

“There are a lot of players in this draft like Chandler Jones, who are better than Chandler Jones. Alan Branch of Clemson, Vinny Curry of Marshall, Tyrone Crawford of Boise State. So I don’t believe the Chandler Jones hype. He’s a third-rounder, maybe a second rounder.

Is SU’s Chandler Jones a Product of Hype? Some Draft Experts Skeptical : Orange Fizz

Or this from Dan Pompei, who rated Jones behind both Whitney Mercilus (taken at 26) and Nick Perry (taken at 28):

He was my seventh-ranked defensive end, but I still believe he could be a first-round pick. I'm really not down on him as much as I think the other ends ahead of him are better prospects. Jones is not the kind of quick-twitch athlete with speed off the edge that scouts think will be a big sack producer. He is more of a big, physical base end. My first choice as a defensive end would be a dynamic player who can change games with big plays, like Mercilus. Jones does not always finish plays. He missed five games last season, but had only 4.5 sacks.

Reader Q&A: Dan Pompei's Bears mailbag - Chicago Tribune

The fact is, people were divided on Jones. For every Mayock, Lombardi or McShay who loved him there were guys like Pompei, Pauline and others who thought that Jones lacks the explosiveness to be an impact player and that his productivity never justified a 1st round pick. I'm not saying they're right, but I don't think it's a reach to say that some people with a "sliver of knowledge" had Jones rated as a 2nd round talent.

OF COURSE Coples is better than Jones. Haven't you guys been reading the news? Coples has learned the entire NYJ defense from a single practice! He's not only a beast, he's a football genius.

He doesn't even need to practice anymore: New York Jets hold first-round draft choice Quinton Coples out of drills Saturday but insist everything is fine - NYPOST.com

Rex Ryan so impressed with Quinton Coples, sits 1st-round pick in team drills to study others - The Washington Post

He's going to double as their defensive coordinator by mid season. He was a Communications major at North Carolina, an academic path comparable to engineering and pre-med, and will probably also revamp the Jets Communications Department by year end.

So Coples had "about six" sacks in practice, eh? Wonder who was blocking him, and who the QB was. ...

So Coples had "about six" sacks in practice, eh? Wonder who was blocking him, and who the QB was. ...

Then there was this from the Boston Herald 6 years ago:

"When Bill Belichick described the first day of rookie minicamp yesterday as being Page 1 of a long novel, he wasn't kidding. The last thing you want to do is judge someone on one practice. Too bad. Chad Jackson was that good. During the non-contact, instruction-oriented workout inside the Patriots' practice bubble, the receiver from Florida flashed all the skills that led the Pats to trade up to the 36th pick in the second round of the draft last month to nab him. His speed and hands were obvious, and he appeared to run his routes with crispness. He made some nice grabs on passes over his head and at his feet, and not one ball that touched his body hit the ground. He was the best player on the field."

http://bostonherald.com/error.bg?er...s/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=139214

The original article has been archived, but I was able to find the quote. Mike Reiss also noted in 2007:

After watching two days of Patriots rookie minicamp practices over the weekend, what was learned? To answer the question, a rewind to 2006 seemed like a good place to start, simply for the perspective. Here were some of the notes that appeared here during last year's rookie camp:

May 13, 2006: Receiver Chad Jackson made a positive first impression, catching everything thrown his way and making a few difficult grabs on high-thrown balls and one over the middle. Forced to pick one player who stood out from this practice, the answer would be Jackson.

May 14, 2006: Laurence Maroney, Chad Jackson and David Thomas, the team’s top three draft picks, continue to snare most every catchable ball thrown their way. Jackson, specifically, seems to catch balls away from his body with fine form.

Rookie wrap - Reiss' Pieces

Yep, rookie minicamps sure do tell a lot about how a player will develop.

Then there was this from the Boston Herald 6 years ago:

http://bostonherald.com/error.bg?er...s/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=139214

The original article has been archived, but I was able to find the quote. Mike Reiss also noted in 2007:

Rookie wrap - Reiss' Pieces

Yep, rookie minicamps sure do tell a lot about how a player will develop.

yup. Just so silly to see that quote from Rex. Sounds like a little kid trying to one-up another little kid with some absurd statement. Rex should have gone all out and said "about a kajillion."

Not according to people on the team, who claimed that Walsh believed in "creative tension" and didnt want Montana to feel too comfortable. I believe it was in "Americas Game" that this was mentioned but I'll have to check.

Also, from what I read the tension between Montana and Young was kept rather professional when they were both on the 49ers but really grew after Montana was traded to KC.

It is just ridiculous to say that Walsh thought Joe Montana was complacent and brought in Steve Young to push him.
Whatever obscure quotes you may want to find, or think you might remember, it is simply ridiculous.

My guess is that block of granite V. DeCasse (sp.?)

My guess is that block of granite V. DeCasse (sp.?)

No its a rookie minicamp, so it would be some UDFA who will never play in the NFL.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't in pads, but Rex already has seen what he can do from 1 practice and named him the starter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST