PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chan Gailey not fired by Dolphins - ESPN falls for fake Schefter account

giphy.gif

Tanya Roberts not alive.

ESPN has actually gone way downhill after Simmons left. No originality, basically nothing interesting. It will become increasingly irrelevant over time.

ESPN has actually gone way downhill after Simmons left. No originality, basically nothing interesting. It has become increasingly irrelevant over time.
fixed

Not out of character at all...

How do you fall for a fake story reported without confirming it’s from someone who works for your own company...? That’s just bizarre. :rolleyes:

Wow

Attachments

• 4B642629-D21A-45FE-94C0-E41E4DD14620.gif
    4B642629-D21A-45FE-94C0-E41E4DD14620.gif
    1 MB · Views: 4
Reactions: Ian
How do you fall for a fake story reported without confirming it’s from someone who works for your own company...? That’s just bizarre. :rolleyes:
Well, it's because @TuaNeedsHelp is obviously 100% a twitter handle a pro like Schefter would use

Well, it's because @TuaNeedsHelp is obviously 100% a twitter handle a pro like Schefter would use
I just don’t get how whoever did it didn’t recognize it wasn’t even their own guy’s account. I get accidentally retweeting it in real time but to go so far as aggregate it online and quote it in a story both online and in their ticker on-air is bonkers.

It's somehow simultaneously astonishing and completely unsurprising

I can see a mistake with a handle like @AdamScheffter but that one? Yikes

I just don’t get how whoever did it didn’t recognize it wasn’t even their own guy’s account. I get accidentally retweeting it in real time but to go so far as aggregate it online and quote it in a story both online and in their ticker on-air is bonkers.

I'd like to blame it on their greed and lack of ethics, but I suspect it has more to do with virtual, distributed systems that used to centralized in an office, plus routine quality control getting sloppier as people work from their kitchens and while moving laundry through.

• Winner
I'd like to blame it on their greed and lack of ethics, but I suspect it has more to do with virtual, distributed systems that used to centralized in an office, plus routine quality control getting sloppier as people work from their kitchens and while moving laundry through.
I'd like to believe that this was a simple mistake, but any journalistic communication should have verified sources, multiple even before the information is pushed to the airwaves. This should be built into the DNA of each and every person in that line of business. Regardless of working in your home, there's professionalism and chain of publishing that should be in place to prevent mistakes of this magnitude.

Seems first to report is better than saying something which is accurate.

• Agree
I'd like to believe that this was a simple mistake, but any journalistic communication should have verified sources, multiple even before the information is pushed to the airwaves. This should be built into the DNA of each and every person in that line of business. Regardless of working in your home, there's professionalism and chain of publishing that should be in place to prevent mistakes of this magnitude.

Tomase agrees with that. :mad:

I agree in general. Heck, I work with award winning journalists every day, and have a pretty good "know it when I see it" sense at this point.

I don't think ESPN is a repository of ethics and standards of journalism at this point, however. It just isn't part of the culture anymore, and virtual work allows for that to show up more frequently.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back